Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

On site water production

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I was wondering if a 12v Shurflo wfp pump would do for those of us who don't use huge amounts of water.  I think they pump at about 80~100 PSI. That's the optimum pressure for my small processing system. About 600 litres per day is my normal usage. The 240v Streamline Booster Pumps that I use cost into the hundreds of pounds. The motors last me about 3 years, in which time I might go through about 2 replacement brass pumps. Each I think over £150 if I remember correctly. This is something I do need to look into in readiness.
Surely if using 600 ltr per day a 4040 set up would be better for you ???

Surely if using 600 ltr per day a 4040 set up would be better for you ???
Possibly but I have a system which works really well. It started as 300gpd with a single small RO. It wasn't producing quick enough as I got busy so I added another RO of the same type in parallel which greatly improved the output. I only work part time. As often as not we have our week's work done in four 6 hour days. We produce while I'm at work. And on a trickle with the booster pump switched off over the weekend to keep the water moving through the system. As I have a system that works well I don't think I want to go to the expense of replacing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Van is booked in to grippatank end of Jan. 

System should produce around 400LPH and decided on a diesel hot system now as well. 

We have secured some larger commercial jobs for next year already so should make it easier with a couple of these setups. 

Van is booked in to grippatank end of Jan. 

System should produce around 400LPH and decided on a diesel hot system now as well. 

We have secured some larger commercial jobs for next year already so should make it easier with a couple of these setups. 
I have grippatank 800 ltr per hour booster pump and 9 kw two man boiler on one of my vans it’s very good . 

Looking at onsite water production. 

Has anyone used one for larger jobs?

All of the vans in the franchise are delivery only so logistically trying to get them all refilled during the day can be a pain in the bum. 

Ive seen the ionic system but it’s a tad pricey imo. 

My main concerns are;

It might not be used for a few months so would that be an issue with membranes? I’m guessing it would be.

Is it a pain trying to source water on site and maybe power? Would I do better buying one with a small generator for the pump/booster pumps. 

Are they more hassle than they are worth?

Were picking up bigger jobs constantly and this year has seen us clean a record number of schools.

Just after some input, or maybe I’d do better upgrading the bigger vans to have onboard production as well? 

Any input would be great, thanks. 
Personally if I were you id give Lee Pryor a ring...most of us are one man bands or very small outfits on here...he will have a much better idea of what works effectively for larger businesses/franchises....he d be happy to help...

Personally if I were you id give Lee Pryor a ring...most of us are one man bands or very small outfits on here...he will have a much better idea of what works effectively for larger businesses/franchises....he d be happy to help...
Unless the commercial jobs sign up to GoCardless he doesn’t take on the work, so doubt he will be able to help. 

Static system is fine as we have two sites with a third being added this year. 

I will just upgrade the vans, first one is booked for the end of the month.  

Unless the commercial jobs sign up to GoCardless he doesn’t take on the work, so doubt he will be able to help. 

Static system is fine as we have two sites with a third being added this year. 

I will just upgrade the vans, first one is booked for the end of the month.  
We do around 20 sites where we don't have access to water, so we can't fill up on the go. We just use Spotless as the cost 3.5p + VAT, is literally pennies in rhe grand scheme. £35 for 1000 litres that should do between £500 and £1000+ of business. Just takes a bit of planning to minimise down time.

We do around 20 sites where we don't have access to water, so we can't fill up on the go. We just use Spotless as the cost 3.5p + VAT, is literally pennies in rhe grand scheme. £35 for 1000 litres that should do between £500 and £1000+ of business. Just takes a bit of planning to minimise down time.
There nearest sites to me are Cardiff , Bristol ,Weymouth , so closest is around 180 miles away , do you find them more plentiful in your area ?  I have never seen one when traveling around are they generally in industrial estates or what ??? 

There nearest sites to me are Cardiff , Bristol ,Weymouth , so closest is around 180 miles away , do you find them more plentiful in your area ?  I have never seen one when traveling around are they generally in industrial estates or what ??? 
We only have 1 in Newcastle which I don't use as we fill at home. When we go on our travels we fill up in Swindon, Portsmouth, Farnham, Winchester, Southampton, Horsham, a few different ones in London and just outside Oxford. Met up with @Dave Bat the Stevenage site. Takes about 15 minutes from pulling up to pulling away.

They tend to be hidden away so you wouldn't see them unless you're looking. Usually Industrial estates and garden centres.

We only have 1 in Newcastle which I don't use as we fill at home. When we go on our travels we fill up in Swindon, Portsmouth, Farnham, Winchester, Southampton, Horsham, a few different ones in London and just outside Oxford. Met up with @Dave Bat the Stevenage site. Takes about 15 minutes from pulling up to pulling away.

They tend to be hidden away so you wouldn't see them unless you're looking. Usually Industrial estates and garden centres.
We are lucky that all the sites we work at away from home we can fill up as we go , but it’s always useful to know ware they are just in case . 

Last edited by a moderator:

Perhaps a stupid question but how do you fill your tank ? Does  the supply have like a petrol pump dispenser and you put in in the lid on your tank ? 

My nearest is Stevenage and most of our work is in Bedfordshire but we’re starting to leave Bedfordshire now for work as we’re getting multiple site contracts now. 

Perhaps a stupid question but how do you fill your tank ? Does  the supply have like a petrol pump dispenser and you put in in the lid on your tank ? 
You get a fob that you scan and enter your pin number and fill like a petrol station. Just need to deposit some money into your account beforehand. If you haven't you can pay by card, but this takes longer.

The one in Stevenage is or was 5p+vat.The price can be different depending where you are.

Stevenage was the very first spotless site. I am surprised how many use it I see loads of vans going up there.

It's a very expensive way to get water if this is your only supply.

Ok for the occasional fill up in an emergency or if you're from out of town on a big commercial but long term I really can't see why so many use them.I know a couple of people with a couple of vans local that use them and their bill must be £800+minimum a month.

And then there's the time involved to fill up can take you 1/2 an hour if there's a couple of vans infront of you.

The one in Stevenage is or was 5p+vat.The price can be different depending where you are.

Stevenage was the very first spotless site. I am surprised how many use it I see loads of vans going up there.

Ok for the occasional fill up in an emergency or if you're from out of town on a big commercial but long term I really can't see why so many use them.I know a couple of people with a couple of vans local that use them and their bill must be £800+minimum a month.

And then there's the time involved to fill up can take you 1/2 an hour if there's a couple of vans infront of you.
4.6p inc vat nowadays but I only use it for convenience if running low while out working. 

It was, not sure now, the nearest one to West Cambridge so saving time is saving money. Absolute madness if you're using 1000 litres a week and live local though.

Back