Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

One for VAT registered guys

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It's profits below £50k that will stay at 19%. Those over that will pay 25%. Only @Pjj needs to worry about this on here ?
I’ve just checked. You’re correct, my mistake. Those firms with profit below £50k will stay at 19%. 

However, only firms with profits over £250k will pay 25% tax. 

Tax will taper up to 25% in increments (yet to be determined) from 19%. The taper system will start at £50k through to £250k. 

i certainly won’t have to worry about this!

Hi 

I reached the threshold last year and have transitioned my business through this. To say it was hard would be a understatement. It had my head batterd. Not to mention the VAT registration department is running 3 months behind on its applications. If you need any advise PM me and I will give you my tel no to speak to me. I would not like to see any one else go through the stress and work load it causes. 

Best of luck.

Regards

Phillip 

Hi 

I reached the threshold last year and have transitioned my business through this. To say it was hard would be a understatement. It had my head batterd. Not to mention the VAT registration department is running 3 months behind on its applications. If you need any advise PM me and I will give you my tel no to speak to me. I would not like to see any one else go through the stress and work load it causes. 

Best of luck.

Regards

Phillip 
Why not just let your accountant deal with it ?? No headaches then ??

Hi All,

My company recently registered for vat, our accountants did sort everything, but most of our work is residential, so the hardest thing to swallow was paying the 20% vat every quarter. 

I managed to squeeze the 20% to some of our customers, some 10%, some none! 

But all new clients the vat is already in the price. 

Since growing,employing staff, more vans, equals more issues, but nothing is meant to be easy

Hi All,

My company recently registered for vat, our accountants did sort everything, but most of our work is residential, so the hardest thing to swallow was paying the 20% vat every quarter. 

I managed to squeeze the 20% to some of our customers, some 10%, some none! 

But all new clients the vat is already in the price. 

Since growing,employing staff, more vans, equals more issues, but nothing is meant to be easy
So you didn't go for the flat rate scheme? 12.5%?

Nope,

Once turnover is over 150k you can't be on flat rate scheme 
You need to be under 135k to register for it and can remain on the scheme until you reach 230k. Surely if you've just registered for it you haven't suddenly jumped over £150k mate? It would be a gradual increase usually. Wondering if you've missed a trick there is all.

So you went from £85K to £150K within a year? You can't now go on the flat rate but your Accountant hasn't advised you very well especially if the majority of your work is residential.
Thats what I'm thinking. With that kind of a jump you'd be able to look monthly at the rolling 12 month average like I am. The moment you exceed 85 you can join the flat rate scheme and then remain on it until you reach 230. If my accountant let me slip through that particular net I'd fire him. As it's on a 12 month rolling average I'd be a little concerned that you would probably have slipped over the threshold earlier than you think @DCDom, Part timer detailed above that you can be fined if you make the mistake of thinking it's based on the financial year not a rolling 12 month cycle.

Thats what I'm thinking. With that kind of a jump you'd be able to look monthly at the rolling 12 month average like I am. The moment you exceed 85 you can join the flat rate scheme and then remain on it until you reach 230. If my accountant let me slip through that particular net I'd fire him. As it's on a 12 month rolling average I'd be a little concerned that you would probably have slipped over the threshold earlier than you think @DCDom, Part timer detailed above that you can be fined if you make the mistake of thinking it's based on the financial year not a rolling 12 month cycle.
But with that type of growth and numbers the VAT shouldn't really be a problem.

It would be good to get the vat back on a new van, that's the reason I would want to be vat registered. 
Yeah but the cost back is nothing compared to what you pay in VAT over a 1 year peiod... it just gets knocked off your VAT bill... its not a cheque for you where u go and cash it in. Lol ? 

I don't think Scottish has realised his £5 jobs will turn into just £4 with VAT ?
Going VAT reg is very tough mate but in the long run it will be worth it for yourself and for your future, in the short term it may be hard but once u been VAT reg for a few number of years u will find that a lot of things will fall in to place aswell as a lot of new doors opening up for you ? Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Scottish has realised his £5 jobs will turn into just £4 with VAT ?
Aye, I'm learning quick, I like the part "getting my Vat back" but didn't realise they wanted all my Vat I collected, that's day light robbery. The only time I will go vat registered is when I begin to do work for Factors. They seem to stipulate that the company doing the work need to be Vat reg and limited company. At the moment I'm swimming with the tide and even froze Checkatrade account because I'm too busy. Getting bigger jobs now that last a few days so taking the odd day off in-between to relax and mend things. Happy now to pay vat on things because I would need to charge another 20% on my prices. ?

Aye, I'm learning quick, I like the part "getting my Vat back" but didn't realise they wanted all my Vat I collected, that's day light robbery. The only time I will go vat registered is when I begin to do work for Factors. They seem to stipulate that the company doing the work need to be Vat reg and limited company. At the moment I'm swimming with the tide and even froze Checkatrade account because I'm too busy. Getting bigger jobs now that last a few days so taking the odd day off in-between to relax and mend things. Happy now to pay vat on things because I would need to charge another 20% on my prices. ?
If most of your work is commercial then going registering for VAT is a good plan as they will claim it back anyway so no more costly to most companies. If you do mainly domestic then avoid VAT registration if you can as it just adds 20% to their bills or you take a 20% cut in your earnings!

If most of your work is commercial then going registering for VAT is a good plan as they will claim it back anyway so no more costly to most companies. If you do mainly domestic then avoid VAT registration if you can as it just adds 20% to their bills or you take a 20% cut in your earnings!
I'm getting more commercial now but I see what you mean. There eventually comes a tipping point and usually involves hiring someone full time.

There’s no going back now lads I’m officially registered, it feels like an absolute kick in the teeth especially when I’m 99% residential but hopefully I’ll be able to push through and come out the other side ??

C26AC2E1-EDC1-40F4-80BE-4A4F3D13FBF6.jpeg

Back