Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Our Biggest Week Ever!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

At first glance it might seem a bit out of order. But a lot of people on here spend a lot of time helping, encouraging, and offering advice on this forum. Whereas all Steve has ever done is come on to advertise, and brag. Imagine a bloke walking into a pub and saying "I have got considerably more money then yaoo".... and then walking straight out. Thats what these threads are about and always have been. That makes it sound like jealousy but its really not. If Smurf, Davey, CnC, yourself and any other regulars came on and said they had just bagged a multi million pound contract people would be over the moon for them and you would get nothing but 'likes', because you contribute, and help others. Just like in life, you lay the ground you walk on.
Sorry for waffling, just wanted to throw it out there.

hmmmm. Waffles, now they're nice with honey.:nod:
Observant readers such as @SPC and others have read my comments and taken the useful pointers I have given over the course of time and incorporated them into their business.

I have helped, encouraged and offered advice on here, but in a measured way. We have a niche market that we are beginning to tap into and believe that some information that I have gleaned over the years is worth paying for. Not just that, but the business that we can potentially put someone's way is worth an outlay.

Forward thinking WFP operators spent a lot money investing in their kit a long time ago and they reaped their dividends. Forward thinking individuals wishing to break into the solar panel cleaning industry are happy to part with a small amount of their cash to do the same.

I do not come on here as often as I used to because I am too busy building this business and engaging with the wider solar industry. I simply don't have the same time to come on the forum as I used to.

He comes on here just to advertise and brag mate, that's why we don't really like him and his style. He never gives advice, and has been hypocritical on many occasions,
He won't be seen for a few weeks, then suddenly hell pop in and say something like 'just got 20,000 panels to clean' or 'training course success' but never helps anyone else, only comes on here to find people to do the work for him so his pockets are lined. Bless him.

He doesn't contribute to the forum at all...
The forum can be used in many different ways and every person has their own style. My style is perhaps no better or worse than anyone else. It's just different. For me, this and other forums are business tools, not my social circle or fan club.

I do not seek friendship, I seek business partners.

im just glad I dont have to clean any...bore me to death...I loves to move around on different jobs and challenges...
I was thinking of this post today and thought maybe I could do a day but...can you imagine turning up to do the same all over again..yawn...Id do a runner for sure.

not so feckin keen on lawnmower assembly either../emoticons/biggrin.png
Cleaning solar panels has enabled me to see much more of the UK than window cleaning ever would. I've seen places I would NEVER choose to visit were it not for visiting solar sites.

It has also presented me with more challenges over the last 5 or 6 years than the previous 15 or 20 years window cleaning. Cleaning 110,000 panels in a field with no water source for miles around or cleaning 1,200 floating solar panels in the middle of a reservoir is indeed a challenge.

It gets me out of bed at 5am every morning anyway!

Do you give oap rates for training as I'm a pensioner don’t you know? /emoticons/smile.png

Thanks @Smurf I'm amazed you've still not joined the revolution! You have great self-control. I hope you'll cave in one day. /emoticons/smile.png

What a week it's been. On Thursday we secured the cleaning of 110,000 panels on one site. It will be the biggest solar panel clean to be undertaken in the UK to date.
Then yesterday we secured a huge rooftop portfolio. It has over 100 sites all over the UK and each site has at least 200 panels on, some have 1,000.

We are on the lookout for subcontractors again to plug some gaps in our network. We have work secured already. If you are interested, please contact me through our website.

Yes, training is a requirement. Cheers.
Well done mate

I wish I could give an answer, but it varies greatly. Sometimes we are at a minute a panel.[/QUOT i've thought about enquiring about big solar panel jobs but i read there isn't any big sites in scotland

im just glad I dont have to clean any...bore me to death...I loves to move around on different jobs and challenges...
I was thinking of this post today and thought maybe I could do a day but...can you imagine turning up to do the same all over again..yawn...Id do a runner for sure.

not so feckin keen on lawnmower assembly either../emoticons/biggrin.png
if you had no work this would be great i,d be there in a shot what a chance for guys to make gd coin

if you could handle being on one job fare play to you

It depends what you class as big. Scotland cleans will kick off soon. We are in talks with a couple of companies about projects in Scotland.

if you had no work this would be great i,d be there in a shot what a chance for guys to make gd coinif you could handle being on one job fare play to you
People must be making good money @Duncs or why would they bother subbing from us for over 2 years, as some have? We know we have to make it attractive to all of our subcontractors.

It depends what you class as big. Scotland cleans will kick off soon. We are in talks with a couple of companies about projects in Scotland.
When i was originally thinking about it i was thinking about big solar power stations with enough good work to make it a worth while addition to my business. I'd definitely be interested if it was worth doing

Hi @kev.

It can be a worthwhile addition to your business even without the large scale stuff. In which town are you based? I ask because we don't train two companies in one area. If no one is trained in your area, we'd be happy to have you attend.

The forum can be used in many different ways and every person has their own style. My style is perhaps no better or worse than anyone else. It's just different. For me, this and other forums are business tools, not my social circle or fan club.
I do not seek friendship, I seek business partners.
Agree @Solar Steve however you you could be slightly more friendly, nice and less boasting.

By all means share what you've got, but learn to do it in a way that doesn't appear like your boasting.

Hi @Solar Steve , but to warrant £250 for the course which has no credition? That seems like robbery. Because you could just tell people how to safely clean panels, no need for a course. I clean many many panels and have no idea why you think a course is necessary?
By all means sub work out, but why the course? Also did you know that pure water doesn't conduct electricity, even more reason why it's safe. As said before solar panels are water proof as is all the electrics, so why do you need to be put through an expensive course?

For e.g you sub me some work here in Colchester/Essex, I do the work and get paid. If you have any saftey advice I would surely Expect that for free as part of it? Having cleaned many a solar panel, I wouldn't need 'formal training'. This is what really bugs me Steve, the course just seems irrelevant!? Why not sub work to experienced guys and not charge extortionate fees for a course? If you insisted on some kind of course, then send out a training DVD?

I have said it many times, so I may as well say it again. It's extremely difficult to get accreditation for a brand new training course. The best way to get it accredited is to run it for a while without accreditation. Virtually every course runs without accreditation.

I have a friend who takes courses. He attended my course back in April and gave me an honest appraisal. He said that it was more of a quality course than MANY accredited courses.

If it has City & Guilds, or another accreditation, the information is exactly the same.

Also, £250.00 is dirt cheap for training courses.

Your post shows very clearly why you DO need to attend the course. Your knowledge of the conductivity of electricity and the risk of electrocution is wholly inaccurate. You may like make me saying that, but it is the truth.

You cannot know what you do not know. It's impossible. So please trust me when I say that you have an inaccurate picture of the risk involved in solar panel cleaning.

You are not alone in your view, hence the need for a course. Any job requires an element of training. If you are employed by a company, they are duty bound to train you for free, as I did for all of my staff. In fact, my training my staff cost my company four days in overtime. If you are self-employed, you pay for your own training. I have no obligation to do that, no more than if you were to subcontract for me, I would have to buy your tools.

The course is valuable to forward thinking companies that's why the last one was fully booked and this one is filling up too. People see the value.

So tell me the risks then?!?!

Because having chatted to a guy that fits them, he was pretty darn sure there was little to know risk with a properly installed solar panel set

Hi @kev.
It can be a worthwhile addition to your business even without the large scale stuff. In which town are you based? I ask because we don't train two companies in one area. If no one is trained in your area, we'd be happy to have you attend.
Hi steve, i'm based in stirling in central scotland

Back