Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Our future?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mine is LPG but I haven't used it in over 10 years. It just needs a service but I never prioritised it. The hardest part is trying to find a decent garage who does it, they're are a lot who don't know what they're doing and rip you off.

I've just spent nearly £1500 getting the head gasket done and heater matrix. One of the main reasons I had the repair work and didn't swap for a newer van is the fact it's already got the LPG installed. I've found a garage who will service it for £100+ Vat, that's a really cheap price. The system should work fine after the service.

Anyway, I was looking into all what's going on with the energy crisis and some of the companies are switching to LPG to supply the power, I cannot remember what they are using it instead of but I suspect the price of LPG will be pushed up higher as a result.

Apparently LPG conversions are ever increasing due to the fuel prices going up, however the amount of stations offering it is reducing, they're saying that there's only 1,800 stations now, they're replacing them in favour of electric charging points.

What I was getting at though, you say the cost of Diesel is going up so it's going to cost you more for the hot water, well is it simple to use LPG on the same system? Or is it solely designed to run on Diesel?
The wabasto as far as I know only runs on diesel , you can get propex heaters that are LPG on camper vans that will supply hot water and air heating .

Is everyone on here keeping really busy? I have a good relationship with majority of my customers and unfortunately can end up chatting which isn’t good when trying to earn a crust. Seems like everyone is bringing up the energy crisis and asking me if I’ve lost any work recently because of it. So far I haven’t and continue to keep getting new work. I got 6 jobs last week and I don’t even advertise or have Facebook page. I know this could change over the coming months especially when winter sets in. All my friends in the construction industry are earning better money than ever and completely stacked out. Are we just waiting to walk off a cliff?

My take is that people who have a window cleaner want a window cleaner. A bit like I want netflix so I have it. So when the energy bills start going up 100s of pounds a month I'm not going to ditch netflix I'm going to look how to save on my electric. It's hard for me to grasp because I've never had a window cleaner and can't say dirty windows have ever really bothered me but for those who take out service most of them really value clean windows to the point where they won't just ditch us (I hope)

In the end, no Government can allow energy bills to go through the roof. There would be civil war and most of all the businesses would go bust. We would all be committing crime just to get into prison for a heat and some food. ?

In the end, no Government can allow energy bills to go through the roof. There would be civil war and most of all the businesses would go bust. We would all be committing crime just to get into prison for a heat and some food. ?
I just hope the new PM understands that!!! If they allow energy to go through the roof then their will be general strikes, blackouts and lots of crime. It would cost more not to do anything to help businesses and people with low income.

Fingers crossed they come up with a decent plan soon!

I just hope the new PM understands that!!! If they allow energy to go through the roof then their will be general strikes, blackouts and lots of crime. It would cost more not to do anything to help businesses and people with low income.

Fingers crossed they come up with a decent plan soon!
The Uk seem to be following behind Germany and they have just announced 65 Billion to reduce energy bills.

Lost half a dozen customers in the last couple of weeks because of the cost of living crisis. Anyone started noticing this?

With my own bills going up I can't really afford to lose too many customers and it's a worry that people are going to have to find more and more money to keep up with energy bills over the next year unless the government do something. Is anyone else getting worried about this?

Lost half a dozen customers in the last couple of weeks because of the cost of living crisis. Anyone started noticing this?

With my own bills going up I can't really afford to lose too many customers and it's a worry that people are going to have to find more and more money to keep up with energy bills over the next year unless the government do something. Is anyone else getting worried about this?
I've lost a few in the last few weeks, I think most others will have. I'm expecting a hard time this winter so I'm looking at other revenues of income. I'm also looking at a drip feed service to keep them on the books.

Yes mate lost a couple of big one off jobs last tuesday but no regular custys yet

So far we have only lost 1. No reason given. But to be honest if it gets as bad as we could worry it could, having a normal employed job could just be as risky of lossing it as most retail will suffer. As people cut back. Which in turn will effect other areas

Last edited:
I've lost a few in the last few weeks, I think most others will have. I'm expecting a hard time this winter so I'm looking at other revenues of income. I'm also looking at a drip feed service to keep them on the books.
Morning Guys
I think you are correct, I think that this will not be just the winter this is something that may have an impact on every trade for a few years I am sorry to say.
To be honest this is one of the reasons we concentrated on conservatory cleaning/valeting when we last got hit with money tightening in 2008.
People with conservatories while not as abundant as windows on houses tend to be retired people or larger properties which may if you are lucky have a bigger expendable cash flow.

At the moment we have not been hit with call offs or reduced enquiries,

What are we doing?
Looking at what big companies are offering you as incentives and replicate.

Keeping in contact with our client base via email

Offering incentives ( clean down the front door and garage door with no extra charge, costs no real extra time or money but gives the customer the reason to remember you are not just the window cleaner but also a value added asset to the upkeep of there property which is normally peoples biggest investment. )

Lock in your current price for 12 months if they commit to continued service

Obviously making sure that the customer service is 110% on every job

Additional services to all customers which may balance out the customers that do postpone or cancel

Conservatory cleaning external and internal
Gutter vac house and garage
Gutter fascia soffit cleaning
Property roof de-moss
Porch cleaning
Driveway cleaning
Always flyer the house next door to the ones you already have. Offer a free clean to your existing customer if they can get their neighbor to join your round.

I am sure that everyone will have their own version of what works best to keep the money coming in but this is just my thoughts and what we have done in the past and I am sure we will be doing over the next year or so.

Morning Guys
I think you are correct, I think that this will not be just the winter this is something that may have an impact on every trade for a few years I am sorry to say.
To be honest this is one of the reasons we concentrated on conservatory cleaning/valeting when we last got hit with money tightening in 2008.
People with conservatories while not as abundant as windows on houses tend to be retired people or larger properties which may if you are lucky have a bigger expendable cash flow.

At the moment we have not been hit with call offs or reduced enquiries,

What are we doing?
Looking at what big companies are offering you as incentives and replicate.

Keeping in contact with our client base via email

Offering incentives ( clean down the front door and garage door with no extra charge, costs no real extra time or money but gives the customer the reason to remember you are not just the window cleaner but also a value added asset to the upkeep of there property which is normally peoples biggest investment. )

Lock in your current price for 12 months if they commit to continued service

Obviously making sure that the customer service is 110% on every job

Additional services to all customers which may balance out the customers that do postpone or cancel

Conservatory cleaning external and internal
Gutter vac house and garage
Gutter fascia soffit cleaning
Property roof de-moss
Porch cleaning
Driveway cleaning
Always flyer the house next door to the ones you already have. Offer a free clean to your existing customer if they can get their neighbor to join your round.

I am sure that everyone will have their own version of what works best to keep the money coming in but this is just my thoughts and what we have done in the past and I am sure we will be doing over the next year or so.
Good advice. Also if you notice any new completed building sites cropping up try and do some leafleting and canvassing there

Not had any cancel at mo, touch wood but expecting it prob about Oct i think some serious struggles ahead i fear and as previous others said i think little businesses will be at bigger risks

I think we will likely find out how bad it will be soon. The new PM will be installed soon and would think they will freeze the energy cap. If they don't I doubt you'll be the last one on here to lose customers.
It's not so much residential energy customers I fear, it's more business to be honest. If they don't do anything for business customers then the affects of businesses going down the pan will affect everyone in every business / job.

Suddenly the low pay growth public sector jobs look like a good safe job to be had compared to the private sector.

Depending on what the new pm says this week will decide how drastic measures I take going forwards. If they talk about opening more nuclear facilities, produce more oil... then I'm fully expecting the worst and preparing for it. If they talk about subsidising energy in some way then I'll have more hope.

Suppose if you're servicing low income customers they will be tightening their belts.... Think there is going to be mass compliance regarding non payment of bills if they government don't intervene very quickly once this bird takes over... They won't want that to happen..

The way I see it, my round is relatively large now albeit a one man band operation and is quite diverse. Many people will lose their jobs, homes etc before I do and I'd hope that there is a solution in place before **** hits the fan for me as there will no doubt be civil unrest. Fingers crossed the new PM will be our knight in shining armour and solve this mess.

I’ve lost a couple and a couple have changed to every other month. Fortunately I can afford to lose a few days work

Back