Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Payloads

WCF

Help Support WCF:

spruce

The Sprucefather
Premium Member
I go a bit of a shock today.
I have a Peugeot Boxer swb 333 van.

Specs:
gvw = 3300kgs
front axle = 1750kgs
rear axle = 1900kgs

Equipment;
650 litre upright Wydale tank and steel frame,
2 petal wheeled hose reels with hose,
An A frame stepladder,
Diesel heater,
Gardener backpack and a 20 litre plastic water container,
A couple of plastic containers for window cleaning requirements,
4 window cleaning poles,
30 litre gutter vac with CF poles and a bag with hose and nozzles.
A tow hitch,
A roof rack with ladder and ladder clamps.

I did my calculations regarding weight distribution and estimated the weight of each component.
I fitted my tank across the width of the van just in front of the rear axle, which gave me usable space between the tank and bulkhead and between the tank and rear doors.

I had a full tank of diesel and my tank was nearly full; estimated at about 580 litres. My lad wasn't with me when I drove onto the weigh bridge this morning.

GVW = 3240kgs (60kgs under maximum weight.)
front axle = 1460kgs (290kgs under maximum axle weight.)
Rear axle = 1720kgs (180kgs under maximum axle weight.)

That means that when my lad joins me in the passenger seat, my van is over weight, even though I have plenty to spare on the front axle.

Specs:
gvw = 3300kgs
front axle = 1750kgs
rear axle = 1900kgs

Equipment;
An A frame stepladder,
Diesel heater,
4 window cleaning poles,
A tow hitch,

I did my calculations regarding weight distribution and estimated the weight of each component.
I fitted my tank across the width of the van just in front of the rear axle, which gave me usable space between the tank and bulkhead and between the tank and rear doors.

I had a full tank of diesel and my tank was nearly full; estimated at about 580 litres. My lad wasn't with me when I drove onto the weigh bridge this morning.

That means that when my lad joins me in the passenger seat, my van is over weight, even though I have plenty to spare on the front axle.

Getting the loading right per axel is a very difficult thing today it might be right tomorrow it might not be depending what you are carrying. I bet the vast majority of vans are either over loaded or over on one axel.

Specs:
gvw = 3300kgs
front axle = 1750kgs
rear axle = 1900kgs

Equipment;
An A frame stepladder,
Diesel heater,
4 window cleaning poles,
A tow hitch,

I have been saying this for awhile, both myself and @Master Jedi Alejandro have had our vans over weighbridges and found the payload advised isn't correct.

Specs:
gvw = 3300kgs
front axle = 1750kgs
rear axle = 1900kgs

Equipment;
An A frame stepladder,
Diesel heater,
4 window cleaning poles,
A tow hitch,

I thought the payloads are just one amount, like my connect is about 550 kg, I dont know about any front or rear axle figures. I know that after ive just filled up it doesnt feel good till after those first few jobs, luckily no passenger.

Yes most people seem to think they can have a huge tank - this that and the other and be well inside the GVW

everything is just heavier than you think it is, or forget the weight of a frame, reels full of water

I thought the payloads are just one amount, like my connect is about 550 kg, I dont know about any front or rear axle figures. I know that after ive just filled up it doesnt feel good till after those first few jobs, luckily no passenger.
There should be a plate under the bonnet that says max axle loads probably by numerals ie. 1 :1200kg 2: 1300kg (front to back) and there may also be a max train weight (van max plus trailer max).

If you overload the rear axle not only will you damage the suspension but your stopping distances will be increased as the back will be effectively taking load off the front wheels!
If you overload the front then heavy breaking you can loose the back end! Plus the components will break quicker.

Also if you ever get pulled over for a weight check you will receive a big fine for gross vehicle weight limits or exceeding axle limits!

If your van doesn't feel good then you need to get it checked at a weight bridge (fully loaded) and then sort out axle loads and max vehicle weight.

There should be a plate under the bonnet that says max axle loads probably by numerals ie. 1 :1200kg 2: 1300kg (front to back) and there may also be a max train weight (van max plus trailer max).

If you overload the rear axle not only will you damage the suspension but your stopping distances will be increased as the back will be effectively taking load off the front wheels!
If you overload the front then heavy breaking you can loose the back end! Plus the components will break quicker.

Also if you ever get pulled over for a weight check you will receive a big fine for gross vehicle weight limits or exceeding axle limits!

If your van doesn't feel good then you need to get it checked at a weight bridge (fully loaded) and then sort out axle loads and max vehicle weight.
In my case, I built my own system. During the planning stage, I put a list together of all my equipment and what I estimated the weight of each item was. I fitted my roof rack, internal bulkhead and tow-bar, but I underestimated the weights of everything, as I honestly believed I was well with the payload of my van.

I paid a lot of attention to axle weights, but even though these are well within spec, the overall weight of all these items could lead to issues if the vehicle is 'overloaded.'
In our case, I tend to fill the tank to just over half full, so these will change the figures. I also don't usually tend to have a full tank of fuel all the time.

I wish I had taken my van to be weighed years ago. But at least I now know what I can do and what I can't do in the future. This was an eye-opener for me.

I should be fine, especially compared to some other small vans ive seen with bloke twice my size in, gutter vac, 500 litre tank etc. Ive got 350 litre but never fill it to the brim, then me, leisure battery backpack and reel. But even being in the range it does not feel fine, I dont believe any of them are that great fully maxed. You have to make extra allowances/stopping distances/ cornering etc when its near full

In my case, I built my own system. During the planning stage, I put a list together of all my equipment and what I estimated the weight of each item was. I fitted my roof rack, internal bulkhead and tow-bar, but I underestimated the weights of everything, as I honestly believed I was well with the payload of my van.

I paid a lot of attention to axle weights, but even though these are well within spec, the overall weight of all these items could lead to issues if the vehicle is 'overloaded.'
In our case, I tend to fill the tank to just over half full, so these will change the figures. I also don't usually tend to have a full tank of fuel all the time.

I wish I had taken my van to be weighed years ago. But at least I now know what I can do and what I can't do in the future. This was an eye-opener for me.
Yes you,ve just reminded me, weight of roofrack plus small ladder. I think I'll go for a connect 230 next time, about 8 inches longer and higher but much better payload.

I should be fine, especially compared to some other small vans ive seen with bloke twice my size in, gutter vac, 500 litre tank etc. Ive got 350 litre but never fill it to the brim, then me, leisure battery backpack and reel. But even being in the range it does not feel fine, I dont believe any of them are that great fully maxed. You have to make extra allowances/stopping distances/ cornering etc when its near full
I'd say something is off it it doesn't feel right when driving, my last van and my current van have always felt perfectly normal fully loaded.

I'd be getting checked out at a garage ASAP.

even being in the range it does not feel fine, I dont believe any of them are that great fully maxed. You have to make extra allowances/stopping distances/ cornering etc when its near full
That doesn't sound good. I would get it checked on a weigh bridge as it sounds like one axle is overloaded or there is a suspension issue.
I remember, years ago, I borrowed a trailer, filled it up with 50 litre barrels starting at the front, it ended up about half full and about 300kg in front of the trailer axle, all the weight on the tow ball. First time I hit the brakes at a roundabout nothing happened!!!! Luckily there was no one coming, I then pulled over and redistributed the load, all good after that.
That was the day I learned about axle loads!!!

Is your tank baffled ? This makes a huge difference to handeling , a 600 ltr tank baffled won’t surge at all even half full you shouldn’t really know it’s there , it’s only on 1000 ltr tanks you get a bit of rocking with half a tank full .

I'd say something is off it it doesn't feel right when driving, my last van and my current van have always felt perfectly normal fully loaded.

I'd be getting checked out at a garage ASAP.
Im sure its ok, after last mot had to have new leaf spring, It always has felt like I have to be extra careful when full, which is the way it should be really, when empty I know I can corner and stop a lot easier than otherwise

Is your tank baffled ? This makes a huge difference to handeling , a 600 ltr tank baffled won’t surge at all even half full you shouldn’t really know it’s there , it’s only on 1000 ltr tanks you get a bit of rocking with half a tank full .
yeh its the wydale 350 litre, its probably me just being cautious

That doesn't sound good. I would get it checked on a weigh bridge as it sounds like one axle is overloaded or there is a suspension issue.
I remember, years ago, I borrowed a trailer, filled it up with 50 litre barrels starting at the front, it ended up about half full and about 300kg in front of the trailer axle, all the weight on the tow ball. First time I hit the brakes at a roundabout nothing happened!!!! Luckily there was no one coming, I then pulled over and redistributed the load, all good after that.
That was the day I learned about axle loads!!!
i dont reckon its overloading, I have the tank against the bulkhead and the battery and backpack and reel at the back of the van. I guess its understandable it handles so much better when empty, even half full is pretty good.

Im sure its ok, after last mot had to have new leaf spring, It always has felt like I have to be extra careful when full, which is the way it should be really, when empty I know I can corner and stop a lot easier than otherwise
Did they replace both sides you should always replace both as the new one will be stronger than the other older one and will affect the handling if the vehicle

Did they replace both sides you should always replace both as the new one will be stronger than the other older one and will affect the handling if the vehicle
no just the one, it was cracked, by the rust etc they reckon it had been done a while, yet some previous mot's hadnt picked it up. Obviously it was much improved after that,

Back