Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pickup Truck purchase and hmrc

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I was thinking of getting one when I got rid of my van, I crashed the van though and was kind of in a hurry to get something quick as insurance didn't give me a courtesy vehicle. The claims still on going and it happened the 10th of December.

I put mines through ad 80% buisness use and 20% personal. I got rid of my car as it wasn't getting used as I was always using the van. So a pick up might be a good in-between.

I'd need to look into the maintenance cost side of things properly to see if it was worth it first, properly break it all down.

I always claim 100% of van expenses(fuel,servicing,MOT,RFL,insurance, etc).obviously as its leased I claim 100% of the rental every month too.in fact I've just got mine serviced today and had new brake pads fitted all around....of course I'm going to put the £314.76 bill as a business expense!

I do have a separate vehicle though for leisure.

I've been consider changing vehicle from a van to a pickup for a while now for various reasons.

I know a few here manage quite well with this setup.

My question is, is it possible to claim for the vehicle for capital allowance or plant and machinery for expenses? It's a bit of a minefield for me and wondered if any would mind sharing what they have been able to claim. Unfortunately I couldn't afford a new pickup, it would be about 2016 year so a used vehicle using a loan.

I understand the running expenses side of things but it's the purchasing the vehicle side im more interested in.

Thanks very much in advance for any pointers.
@Stratf01 there's a fella near me that uses a pickup for work and loves it. Not sure how easy it is to prove it's solely for work use, but his is sign written and also has these little plastic leaflet holders on the rigid canopy. People can then take a leaflet wherever he's parked up. It looks really good and definitely like a business vehicle. He likes the fact he can move his equipment in and out easily (although his tank is about 200 litres I think so it's not very overloaded or anything). He swaps the tank out sometimes so he can take a big gutter vacuum.

I always claim 100% of van expenses(fuel,servicing,MOT,RFL,insurance, etc).obviously as its leased I claim 100% of the rental every month too.in fact I've just got mine serviced today and had new brake pads fitted all around....of course I'm going to put the £314.76 bill as a business expense!

That's really interesting mate.
So when it comes to leasing a vehicle you can potentially claim 100% of rental each month rather than the 18% annual depreciation thing for purchasing?

@Stratf01 there's a fella near me that uses a pickup for work and loves it. Not sure how easy it is to prove it's solely for work use, but his is sign written and also has these little plastic leaflet holders on the rigid canopy. People can then take a leaflet wherever he's parked up. It looks really good and definitely like a business vehicle. He likes the fact he can move his equipment in and out easily (although his tank is about 200 litres I think so it's not very overloaded or anything). He swaps the tank out sometimes so he can take a big gutter vacuum.
200 litres is nothing though, this has been discussed in this post Working out of a pick up they are impractical for a full-time window cleaner who also wants to use it on a weekend been there done that wouldn't have another one unless I was loaded and just used it on a weekend

I do the same and also claim a small amount against the car as it’s used for estimates / client visits. ?. Same principle as claiming for part of my home as an office. ?

200 litres is nothing though, this has been discussed in this post Working out of a pick up they are impractical for a full-time window cleaner who also wants to use it on a weekend been there done that wouldn't have another one unless I was loaded and just used it on a weekend
@Stratf01 I had a check and he has a 350 litre tank. Don't know if that's enough water for you or not but seems pretty decent.

Latest Posts

Back