Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pole hose kinking and knotting / tangling

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Chris34

First day of proper rain for me and that with the cold air has really played havoc with the pole hose. It's the yellow pvc one from Gardiners and is only a few weeks old. I don't recall it being as bad as it was today, virtually every time I was extending the pole it was jamming and I then had the usual trying to stretch my arm down to unknot it / de-kink it, it kept opening the univalve. Normally I'd just put up with it but today seemed unworkable really, it shouldn't be anything like that.

Just wondering is there a better pole hose to use? Or is there some way of preventing it happening?

I can detangle the lot and straighten it out but it just happens again almost immediately. It's putting unnecessary strain on my arms / shoulders trying to sort it out and is generally annoying.

And before anyone says, no I'm not using hot water and know hot water would stop it happening :sneaky:

Bin it. Stopped using pole hose years ago, I just connect my microbore at the bottom of the pole and use that. It saves me a load of aggro.

Far too stiff a hose to use more so in the cooler months I only use the green PU hose far more manageable
I've actually got some of that but never used it, the diameter seems quite a bit narrower though. The thing with that one is that it appeared to coil up, as I say I've never used it though so might be different when using it.

Just looked at the gardiner website, it says they're both (the yellow and the green) 5mm inner 8mm outer, I'm sure the green I've got was narrower than the yellow but I got it about 2 years ago, have they changed the diameter of the green or the yellow recently?

First day of proper rain for me and that with the cold air has really played havoc with the pole hose. It's the yellow pvc one from Gardiners and is only a few weeks old. I don't recall it being as bad as it was today, virtually every time I was extending the pole it was jamming and I then had the usual trying to stretch my arm down to unknot it / de-kink it, it kept opening the univalve. Normally I'd just put up with it but today seemed unworkable really, it shouldn't be anything like that.

Just wondering is there a better pole hose to use? Or is there some way of preventing it happening?

I can detangle the lot and straighten it out but it just happens again almost immediately. It's putting unnecessary strain on my arms / shoulders trying to sort it out and is generally annoying.

And before anyone says, no I'm not using hot water and know hot water would stop it happening :sneaky:
The new Gardiner yellow pu and green are very good with hot and cold we don’t get any issues with either

I've actually got some of that but never used it, the diameter seems quite a bit narrower though. The thing with that one is that it appeared to coil up, as I say I've never used it though so might be different when using it.
Just looked at the gardiner website, it says they're both (the yellow and the green) 5mm inner 8mm outer, I'm sure the green I've got was narrower than the yellow but I got it about 2 years ago, have they changed the diameter of the green or the yellow recently?
I use cold water and the Green Gardiner PU hose. It does have quite a 'coil memory' and it doesn't slide against itself very well. It does get better with age! I would say try and remove some of the coil memory by running hot tap water through it then pull it straight and then run cold through it. Repeat that a few times and it seems to get much better. I have recently switched to @Skxawng tubless and it certainly helps, Instead of coiling the hose over the brush when in the van it's wound round the hose reel so a different diameter. I do like the hoseless system as it saves lots of clutter in the van and swapping poles is nice an easy.

It most likely is slightly narrower as I don't need O clips for the rectus fittings

The pole hose still twist when using hot, you just have to keep an eye on it and turn the pole in your hands each time you move to rectify the twist.
I agree with others that the Green PU hose is good, but it will still twist ?

I use hot water hose for cold water use as the other stuff is :poop: I used to buy the exceed stuff but found the wear rate similar to Gardiners hose so just shop at one place
Looked at the exceed website, it's not that useful really, the description says other sellers sell hose that's designed for all conditions but really it's just pvc hose, however they don't say exactly what their hose is :unsure::ROFLMAO:

They have 4 different colours (red, blue, orange, yellow), is there a difference between them? Like I say the descriptions are all the same (don't say what it's specifically suited to).

Looked at the exceed website, it's not that useful really, the description says other sellers sell hose that's designed for all conditions but really it's just pvc hose, however they don't say exactly what their hose is :unsure::ROFLMAO:

They have 4 different colours (red, blue, orange, yellow), is there a difference between them? Like I say the descriptions are all the same (don't say what it's specifically suited to).
I have used the exceed blue it’s very good with hot and cold , not tried the others . But stoped dealing with them as there customer service was appalling, didn’t return calls after wanting to place orders I cannot be bothered with firms that you have to chase up .

HI Chris

Hose management is always a challenge!

In my opinion the most important step to prevent twists and kinks in pole hose is making sure that after each job the pole hose is disconnected from the hose reel hose and is then carefully coiled back up from the pole end first so that any twists or loops can fall out - this will help reduce the number of kinks that the hose stores after each job. Here is a video link -

Another point to note with your setup is that you are using our All-Season PVC hose along with a Univalve. This un-reinforced PVC is not recommended for use with a Univalve by either us or the makers of the Univalve (as per our webiste information on this product) - this is because the extra pressure the hose is under and the pulling action on the Univalve will result in the hose failing far sooner than if using a PU type hose.

I use hot water hose for cold water use as the other stuff is :poop: I used to buy the exceed stuff but found the wear rate similar to Gardiners hose so just shop at one place
Depends on what hose though. The Red one was mentioned.
How anyone can use that with cold must be a very patient person.
It’s like working with an anaconda

HI Chris

Hose management is always a challenge!

In my opinion the most important step to prevent twists and kinks in pole hose is making sure that after each job the pole hose is disconnected from the hose reel hose and is then carefully coiled back up from the pole end first so that any twists or loops can fall out - this will help reduce the number of kinks that the hose stores after each job. Here is a video link -

Another point to note with your setup is that you are using our All-Season PVC hose along with a Univalve. This un-reinforced PVC is not recommended for use with a Univalve by either us or the makers of the Univalve (as per our webiste information on this product) - this is because the extra pressure the hose is under and the pulling action on the Univalve will result in the hose failing far sooner than if using a PU type hose.

Hi Alex, I appreciate your opinion. I do regularly disconnect as you say and run a cloth from the bottom of the pole to untangle the twists, however it does twist very quickly and I've noticed in the colder weather it just seems to twist on it's own (without me turning the pole around).

I've used it with the univalve for 3 years and it's not failed, it just twists / kinks but in the warmer weather it isn't an issue, or nothing like an issue compared to yesterday anyway.

I'll give the green hose a go and see if I can make that work better as I already have that but just never used it, so it costs me nothing to give it a go.

Thanks for the very helpful replies.

I've used the green pu today and it seems to be miles better, obviously it's brand new so I don't know how it will be a few weeks down the line but it seems almost a night and day difference compared to the PVC hose.

For one it doesn't really twist in the same way, it does seem to tangle but when you untangle it it just seems to spring out straight or spring into a coil but both shapes are fine.

The univalve works miles better with it, I don't have to pull the hose that hard, with PVC it's stretchy so when you pull it you have to pull it quite a bit and sometimes it's hard to do it when the pole is fully extended. With the green it's like there is no stretch, so it's more like an on and off switch with no spring on the switch. It's miles better in that regard.

It also doesn't snag the same, I didn't really have any snags or kinks at all, the only problem I had was when the pole was extended I was walking around the side of a semi and got yanked back, the hose had become tangled. Like I say though once I untangled it, it just sprung out and kind of untangled the rest of its shape itself.

When extending the pole though there was no resistance, no snags / kinks. If it was the PVC hose then it was snagging / kinking on the pole end virtually every time I tried to extend it.

It also works well when carrying it around with the trolley, it coils up better so you can hold it better when you're moving from the house to the van. The PVC doesn't seem to want to go in a nice circle coil, it goes everywhere and anywhere it wants.

Don't know if it's in my head but it also feels lighter, not much but it does feel less.

Personally I can't see a reason to use the PVC hose. I think anyone new to it should be advised to use the green as a minimum. The green pu is not perfect but the PVC hose is almost unusable at this time of year. I just hadn't realised how much I have been putting up with it over previous winters.

Thanks for all the advice, made my day a lot better, less sighs and less strain on my arms trying to hold a half extended pole with one hand whilst trying to release a kink or twist that's jammed on the end of the pole with the other.

Back