Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Prefilter sump bowls.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

spruce

The Sprucefather
Over the weekend I replaced my 20" prefilter cartridges as they were due for replacement.

After removing the Fiberdyne plastic packaging, I notice that Pentair have included a list of dos and don'ts on the back of their product label.

This one caught my attention;

Caution. To prevent costly repairs or possible water damage, the sump of the plastic housings must be replaced every 5 years for clear, and 10 years for opaque. If the sump is older than recommended, replace immediately. Date sump for reference and indicate replacement date.

Now, this does make sense to me, but my clear housings are 11 years old, and I didn't see any deterioration cracks in the housings when replacing the cartridges.

I haven't seen any of the suppliers promoting this as part of a service consideration once the housings have reached their suggest working life.

Over the weekend I replaced my 20" prefilter cartridges as they were due for replacement.

After removing the Fiberdyne plastic packaging, I notice that Pentair have included a list of dos and don'ts on the back of their product label.

This one caught my attention;

Caution. To prevent costly repairs or possible water damage, the sump of the plastic housings must be replaced every 5 years for clear, and 10 years for opaque. If the sump is older than recommended, replace immediately. Date sump for reference and indicate replacement date.

Now, this does make sense to me, but my clear housings are 11 years old, and I didn't see any deterioration cracks in the housings when replacing the cartridges.

I haven't seen any of the suppliers promoting this as part of a service consideration once the housings have reached their suggest working life.
I would only replace them if there was obvious damage I wouldn’t have considered them as a serviceable item

Well spotted. I'll ask the question and refer back.
Thanks. Having thought about this, I can understand a weakness developing over time when the bowl is subjected t a continuous pressure, such as when used as an under counter filter connected to a town's water supply.
If one were to burst then it could well flood the kitchen out and cause mega damage.

Our bowls aren't under tap water pressure all the time. My r/o is in the garage. If a failure should occur, then we would be alerted when water started running out from under the garage door and very little damage would happen.

Back