Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Price Increases Advice

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I think an annual increase is only sensible if it's at the rate of inflation but not a few quid which can be way over inflation on standard price jobs. 

I think an annual increase is only sensible if it's at the rate of inflation but not a few quid which can be way over inflation on standard price jobs. 
I cannot be bothered to put prices up by the inflation rate as that would be something stupid like 33pence , I always increase prices by straight pounds no pence , I tend to do this every couple of years or so depending on the job value I have some work that I haven’t increased in 15 years it’s si well priced there is no point in risking loosing it . 

Each to their own, as i said its the first term highlighted in red, annual price rise.

You go to a garage for your car their staff cost, part cost goes up each year so will your bill,

You have a few motors and equipment your storage space cost has gone up, 

Your insurance, stamps, staff costs, equipment (postage of equipment) , cost of fuel, water etc

And alot of these will rise their prices above inflation. 

Each to their own, as i said its the first term highlighted in red, annual price rise.

You go to a garage for your car their staff cost, part cost goes up each year so will your bill,

Your insurance, stamps, staff costs, equipment (postage of equipment) , cost of fuel, water etc

I do agree with you but just feel it’s a bit much increasing the price every year that would mean over a 5 year period the cheapest on my jobs would increase by £5 I think that’s way above the inflation rate ??? Our hourly rate is what interests me per man rather than a set price increase , but I do understand what you are saying everything is constantly increasing in price Ime sure every time I go to Tesco stuff has gone up !!!!???

how long have you been window cleaning?

I do agree with you but just feel it’s a bit much increasing the price every year that would mean over a 5 year period the cheapest on my jobs would increase by £5 I think that’s way above the inflation rate ??? Our hourly rate is what interests me per man rather than a set price increase , but I do understand what you are saying everything is constantly increasing in price Ime sure every time I go to Tesco stuff has gone up !!!!???
Yes ,this is one of my issues with yearly increases. 
especially on £15-£20 houses. Your getting 5% plus increases, and if it’s yearly the seem to come too thick and fast.

whereas every 2 years seems to work better.

I agree with you that the cost of things is always increasing however what matters here is the customer's perception.

Say you have a £20 regular clean that you increase by 2.5% a year (this is above the rate of inflation btw) - so that's 50p per year... Why not just increase the price by £2 every 2 to 3 years then you're quids in since the increase will be well above 2.5% per year and the customer's perception is that you don't increase prices annually. It's a win win.

In addition you can increase one set of customers' prices one year & another the next which means you're effectively getting a pay rise every year.

@dazmondnot been window cleaning long, but everyone who has commented on the term has said the exact same statement well thats reasonable costs go up every year.

If it doesn't work i'll get some more customers to replace the lost ones and do larger amounts every few years.

But personally i think a small amount added each year is reasonable and will see.

I cannot be bothered to put prices up by the inflation rate as that would be something stupid like 33pence , I always increase prices by straight pounds no pence , I tend to do this every couple of years or so depending on the job value I have some work that I haven’t increased in 15 years it’s si well priced there is no point in risking loosing it . 
Yes I agree. I was simply inferring that it makes sense to do a price increase every 2-3 years and round up to the nearest £.

@dazmondnot been window cleaning long, but everyone who has commented on the term has said the exact same statement well thats reasonable costs go up every year.

If it doesn't work i'll get some more customers to replace the lost ones and do larger amounts every few years.

But personally i think a small amount added each year is reasonable and will see.
I think the problem is that you risk rocking the boat for the sake of say 50p.  Even rocking the boat for the sake of £1 doesn't seem worth it.  I think if you're bursting at the seams with work then sharpening your prices often might be a good option, but until you're completely full with work it could create more problems for very little overall gain.

I try and price mine with 2 years advance pricing.  I'm at my 2 year point now and have decided to keep the prices as they are till next year as last year was a bit of a lost year for me, so still lots of work needed to be full.  Next year when I'm hopefully full then I'll start to increase the prices and cherry pick the work.

I think the problem is that you risk rocking the boat for the sake of say 50p.  Even rocking the boat for the sake of £1 doesn't seem worth it.  I think if you're bursting at the seams with work then sharpening your prices often might be a good option, but until you're completely full with work it could create more problems for very little overall gain.

I try and price mine with 2 years advance pricing.  I'm at my 2 year point now and have decided to keep the prices as they are till next year as last year was a bit of a lost year for me, so still lots of work needed to be full.  Next year when I'm hopefully full then I'll start to increase the prices and cherry pick the work.
I have far to much work and tried to loose a lot of jobs by hiking the prices quite considerably it didn’t work apart from a handful they all accepted it and were happy with the increase , I think people are starting to realise getting a regular good window cleaner is very difficult, I have had 3 phone calls today and 4 emails wanting us to take them on as there current window cleaner is unreliable or does a poor job that just today . Window cleaning is now being viewed as a professional job rather than he cannot do anything else and commands the same rates as other professional trades people , Ime not saying that this is right but it’s definitely what’s happening down hear . 

I have far to much work and tried to loose a lot of jobs by hiking the prices quite considerably it didn’t work apart from a handful they all accepted it and were happy with the increase , I think people are starting to realise getting a regular good window cleaner is very difficult, I have had 3 phone calls today and 4 emails wanting us to take them on as there current window cleaner is unreliable or does a poor job that just today . Window cleaning is now being viewed as a professional job rather than he cannot do anything else and commands the same rates as other professional trades people , Ime not saying that this is right but it’s definitely what’s happening down hear . 
Thing is it is hard work and there are a lot of work shy people today.  So it doesn't surprise me in a way.  In another way though it surprises me that more low paid manual workers don't get onto it, I thought everyone would be doing it.

Might also be helping that there are more and more houses being built.  I class myself as up there with the best of the best when it comes to being thorough, but there is only so many houses one man can do.  When there are hundreds of new houses being built in every town... you can see why even with an increase in window cleaners, there could be more new houses than the new window cleaners.

Still puzzles me why it's the way it is though.  If I was sitting at a checkout all day, serving behind a bar till late at night, driving a van all day... any of those type of jobs I'm sure cleaning windows on 4 to 5 times the pay rate is a better option.

Not complaining though, long may it continue the way it is.

Might also be helping that there are more and more houses being built.  I class myself as up there with the best of the best when it comes to being thorough, but there is only so many houses one man can do.  When there are hundreds of new houses being built in every town... you can see why even with an increase in window cleaners, there could be more new houses than the new window cleaners.
They have been building new houses in my work area for the last 10 years and it could potentially going on for another 10 years, the place is the proverbial honey pot, I know of 4 window cleaners that travel 15 miles or more into this area to clean the new and older estate's 

Great for windys not so great for the people in the town, no more new schools or medical practices been built and they are all ready at jam packed

Every new customer is a rise in your income.

Back