Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pricing a job what's the easiest way???

WCF

Help Support WCF:

how the hell do you get £11.33  i've been sat here 30 mins n i can't work it out 
Hourly rate (£40 for example) div by 60 X by number of minutes. So 40/60*17=11.33 (round up to £12)

Of course that is not taking into consideration the travel and would only apply if you did a row of them. If it was on its own it'd be more like £14-£15.

Edit: I just tried it on the Excel price calculator with 2 min travel time and it came up with £14. So about what everyone else is saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hourly rate (£40 for example) div by 60 X by number of minutes. So 40/60*17=11.33 (round up to £12)

Of course that is not taking into consideration the travel and would only apply if you did a row of them. If it was on its own it'd be more like £14-£15.

Edit: I just tried it on the Excel price calculator with 2 min travel time and it came up with £14. So about what everyone else is saying.
that a pretty good way ; im going to give it a try. ive been doing it years and my pricing is ok but i still make some **** ups as i do £1 a window base then guess up or down  so a fixed method for every house might get my work more even

that a pretty good way ; im going to give it a try. ive been doing it years and my pricing is ok but i still make some **** ups as i do £1 a window base then guess up or down  so a fixed method for every house might get my work more even
I don't really use it much nowadays as I've concentrated my work into a few estates and know all the prices for the different styles off by heart. Mainly for bigger jobs to make sure I'm not underpricing myself.

So you would charge 10 from the £1 a window pricing?

How u price it?
I think it's just with experience.  It helps having a minimum price then work up from there. 

I've had flyers going out the last few weeks and on them I've got "prices from £10" so when anyone rings they know the least it's going to be is a tenner.  I got lucky and got 9 new jobs but only one was £10 and that was a front and side only. I'm getting £12 for even small houses (Don't forget I'm not far from you) 

It really depends on your schedule and how far away from the work you are, if you’re doing it monthly then i’d say yeah £12 would gross you £144 a year.

All our rounds are 6 weekly. 

So i would go say £17.

6 weekly works out at say 8-9 cleans a year (lets just say ? would gross £136 (£8) less, but we make 4 less journeys, so more economical on time/labour & diesel.

If you dont have any other work near the area & have to travel half hour to get there and allow 20 minutes to clean, then you’d be looking at just shy of an hourly rate.

the house would be a piece of cake on a maintenance clean.

that being said the downside is you need half as many customers to fill your books, which has proved a task for me (i fill it up with ad ons) 

i plan on a 48 week or 11 month working year (we have 2 weeks off at christmas, and lose at least two weeks to things like van servcing, gale force winds, sub zero temperatures,  bank holidays & the likes) 

I can do 5-6 an hr on my own wfp which is over 40 an hr at £7 what is the normal hourly rate you boys are happy with on average I'm 25-30 which is good I think?

I can do 5-6 an hr on my own wfp which is over 40 an hr at £7 what is the normal hourly rate you boys are happy with on average I'm 25-30 which is good I think?
It’s nothing to argue with as a lone operator.

a lot of guys on here aim for £40

we are a pair and base at £40 per hour. Sometimes we exceed 50 an hour especially if its a big ad on job. 

Over a 9 hour day we should” be £360 per day working as a pair. But this is very rarely the case as we pile through work so fast and need so much of it. Almost never hit our targets.

Say my brother is ill, i’ve done over £250 on my own doing windows a few times but it was bloomin hard graft i’m not gonna lie. 

What i have found is that when work was priced based on £30 an hour we wern’t reaching that rate. Works now based at £40 phr and sometimes we’re over, sometimes we’re under.

we do hit a lot of roadworks and bumper to bumper traffic as work is not compact and we are based in the middle of a city, so this never helps.

My aim is basically, just earn, as much as poss.

Facing a lot of competition though not gonna lie this aprils been a tad quieter than previous years. 

Thats a good hourly rate but you should benefit from your speed not the customer if I priced jobs at £7 I would be working 24 hours a day that’s got to be worth a minimum of £10-12 dont under sell yourself  

If your going 5 or 6 a hour I take it they are close together, if so then that should be your best paid work. 

My work is spread out a bit  but at the end of the week/month in averaging about £30 a hour. 

I've got work that I make easy £60 a hour and some **** stuff at £20 a hour ( which I'm trying to replace atm )

If your going 5 or 6 a hour I take it they are close together, if so then that should be your best paid work. 

My work is spread out a bit  but at the end of the week/month in averaging about £30 a hour. 

I've got work that I make easy £60 a hour and some **** stuff at £20 a hour ( which I'm trying to replace atm )
I wouldn’t panic wee man. It’s easy to get carried away with trying to earn an hourly rate.

£20 an hour can be as worthy as £40 an hour if you know how to stretch money and use it wisely.

Obviously if you’ve got lots of kids, two dogs, two vehicles and 4 bedroom house, have a taste for expensive clothes ,or smoke, eat take aways & go out for weekend meals/go on holidays abroad regularly, then your living costs are going to be astronomical.

If we assume that most people are aiming for £40 an hour targets,

that would mean, if achieved, 8am-5pm would be £360 per day

Over a 5 day week thats £1800

per month £7200

over an 11 month year £79200

i’m sure the whole country would be window cleaning If that was the reality ?

I wouldn’t panic wee man. It’s easy to get carried away with trying to earn an hourly rate.

£20 an hour can be as worthy as £40 an hour if you know how to stretch money and use it wisely.

Obviously if you’ve got lots of kids, two dogs, two vehicles and 4 bedroom house, have a taste for expensive clothes ,or smoke, eat take aways & go out for weekend meals/go on holidays abroad regularly, then your living costs are going to be astronomical.

If we assume that most people are aiming for £40 an hour targets,

that would mean, if achieved, 8am-5pm would be £360 per day

Over a 5 day week thats £1800

per month £7200

over an 11 month year £79200

i’m sure the whole country would be window cleaning If that was the reality ?
No kids and no mortgage ? I'm happy with about 25 hours a week I really enjoy my days off and I don't work on really wet days ( just my choice) 

Yes they are together and I'm like u sometimes I get 50 or 60 per hr but overall it averages 30

I picked up 3 jobs yesterday on the same street where I have one. Their windy never came back 5 months ago and they held on just in case. Good paying jobs and I reckon I could do the 4 houses in just over an hour. I'm not scared to price correctly now because there's very little competition. The one other windy is not licensed nor insured so in the fullness of time I will probably get the rest. Its mainly through word of mouth now and I'm hitting 60 customers without even trying.

I picked up 3 jobs yesterday on the same street where I have one. Their windy never came back 5 months ago and they held on just in case. Good paying jobs and I reckon I could do the 4 houses in just over an hour. I'm not scared to price correctly now because there's very little competition. The one other windy is not licensed nor insured so in the fullness of time I will probably get the rest. Its mainly through word of mouth now and I'm hitting 60 customers without even trying.

The 4 houses are a tenner a time, so £40 for just over an hour's work. Now the street knows that a tenner is the going rate and it makes perfect sense, no change. I tell them I add the tip to the price so they don't need to give me a tip.

I based the price on what I usually charge was unaware the previous number but the customer said he was raising the cost every yr hence my post regarding am I too cheap 

I get alot of people wanting my services because I come recomended and reasonably priced my wife says dont be greedy your doing well lol
Don’t listen to your wife! You are not being greedy you are running a business, don’t cut your own throat to appease the inner doubt. £12.50 job all day long

Back