Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pricing per metre

WCF

Help Support WCF:

We have minimum £50 charge. Then we add price based on that. Due to having to book in the work and it taking us away from our regular work we aim for about 45 to 60 an hour each.

But area you are in makes a big difference on price.
I would say that sounds about right.

I hate doing gutter jobs so I just price them based on how long I think it will take plus a bit extra as it's harder than just cleaning windows, so if I can make £120 in two hours cleaning windows, I'd want £150 or so for the gutters. Seems to work for me

Good point. I tried finding out local prices and used that as a guide. At the moment I'm probably only earning about 20% more than window cleaning but I am getting quicker the more I do, so hopefully the more I do the better my prices will be.
I'd say up your prices as you want to be earning 50%+ for add ons' I got it wrong on a job a while back as I didn't expect it take as long as it did but overall based on my daily takings it was good earning day.

For me these days I want to be earning a full days wage for half a day or double my hourly window cleaning rate or more

I'd say up your prices as you want to be earning 50%+ for add ons' I got it wrong on a job a while back as I didn't expect it take as long as it did but overall based on my daily takings it was good earning day.

For me these days I want to be earning a full days wage for half a day or double my hourly window cleaning rate or more
I think you are right. So far I have 'won' all my quotes - but then again they are all my existing customers so know I will do a good job and trust me.

I think you are right. So far I have 'won' all my quotes - but then again they are all my existing customers so know I will do a good job and trust me.
I've not much interest in add ons' at all so they have to be very lucrative to me otherwise I don't care if they get some one else for half the price.

I won't state prices on here openly but my last two jobs were silly money for not much work

I've not much interest in add ons' at all so they have to be very lucrative to me otherwise I don't care if they get some one else for half the price.

I won't state prices on here openly but my last two jobs were silly money for not much work
I'm the same, generally speaking the more I can't be bothered to do the job - the higher the price will be, and I still moan when the quote is accepted ?

At first I saw the prices and thought Jesus Christ, do you live in Dubai? Then I realised those weren't prices for window cleaning.
3 bed semi in Loftus and Skinningrove £5.

A year ago I quoted a 2 bed street house, fronts only (upper bedroom window, downstairs lounge window and door, £5. It was between 2 we clean and I quoted mate's rates as he used to work with my wife years ago. I saw him go weak at the knees and I thought he was going to collapse.

Hi guys, I have £3.5 per metre, £2.5 on conservatories and ground level gutters, and £4 on gutters difficult to reach, and full. As I do inspection, I decide how much to charge each section based on the conditions I mentioned. It always fit into competitors flat rates, based on house style. Now I had a house, 84 metres of gutters. Based on my calculations, I ended up on £250, which is £2.97/m average. I do a regular window cleaning for him as well, £95 per session. He sometimes include the conservatory roof into regular cleanings. I messaged him my quote after the inspection and he replied> "I had a guy couple of years ago, they charged me £159" and provided me the name of the company. He agreed with the quote, but he said next time he will pick up the other guy. In the area I have done more houses for similar prices to my quote...
My question is now... Was my price actually too high? Did he only by negligence generalised the price based on "one guy"? I cannot stick him into the category of hagglers, he is CEO, prominent person, and I don't know, whether I should stick with my guns or to feel a bit embarrassed? As I mentioned, he agreed, job is done and is waiting for my invoice. I was thinking whether to lower the amount, or not. Something like "for loyalty"..

Hi guys, I have £3.5 per metre, £2.5 on conservatories and ground level gutters, and £4 on gutters difficult to reach, and full. As I do inspection, I decide how much to charge each section based on the conditions I mentioned. It always fit into competitors flat rates, based on house style. Now I had a house, 84 metres of gutters. Based on my calculations, I ended up on £250, which is £2.97/m average. I do a regular window cleaning for him as well, £95 per session. He sometimes include the conservatory roof into regular cleanings. I messaged him my quote after the inspection and he replied> "I had a guy couple of years ago, they charged me £159" and provided me the name of the company. He agreed with the quote, but he said next time he will pick up the other guy. In the area I have done more houses for similar prices to my quote...
My question is now... Was my price actually too high? Did he only by negligence generalised the price based on "one guy"? I cannot stick him into the category of hagglers, he is CEO, prominent person, and I don't know, whether I should stick with my guns or to feel a bit embarrassed? As I mentioned, he agreed, job is done and is waiting for my invoice. I was thinking whether to lower the amount, or not. Something like "for loyalty"..
Ultimately your price is your price, if you have done it and, by you asking the question on here, are worried about future business with the customer you could always say you had based your price on worst case scenario and it wasn't as bad or as time consuming as you thought so as a good will gesture lower your price, Your business and therefore your choice.

Last edited:
"We can match that price, no problem. What would you like us to not do?"

We clean the gutters and fascias after we have cleared them. Most of the gutter clearers I've seen don't do this. In fact, I've seen them do a very poor job and not even clear the gutters completely. We don't take shortcuts, but I know a few who do. They count on the fact that the customer isn't going to check.

Stick to your price and just provide a better service, let them know exactly what time you will be arriving talk them through the process if you want, provide pictures of the cleared gutters, show them the debris you have cleared ask them if there is anything else you can help them with, just provide amazing customer service.

Stick with your price. If the prices you list are working for you and you are winning most of the quotes then all good. My prices are a little higher but I try and sell gsf cleaning at same time for a discounted combined price.

When people quote prices like 'a guy did it a couple of years ago for £x' it's normally a good few years ago - probably a few more than they remember. I would also have guessed that it was a random person on a ladder but if he's quoting a company then that's different.

If you are using a camera then explain to customer the camera and if you want, provide before and after images in a email with your invoice.

The customer is assuming that the other guy hasn't increased his prices that other guy could have whacked his prices right up and let's say it's another 2 years time before he needs them doing then he could well be in for a shock.

Just reiterate the service you offer and tell him how arduous it is to do the job and that you can't comment on another person's quality of service or pricing

Why didn’t he get the other guy to do the job this year ? We never negotiate on price I can’t go in Tesco and do that with my shopping . We would walk away from the job , but if you need or want the job the choice is yours , but if you match his price then the customer will think you were trying* to rip him off , I had a regular window cleaning customer ask for a price for gutters vaccing and plastic clean on a large 5 bed detached with a conservatory quoted him £450 which by our standards for this type of job is reasonable he said he had another price from someone else for £400 would I match that price I said no so he got the other guy to do the job , but he missed loads of bits as he couldn’t reach them , customer then asked me to sort it out told him politely ime not sorting out someone else’s bad work best to get the guy back , he refused to come back , in the end we re did the whole job for £450 ??? it’s now an annual clean at that price , so I feel it pays to stick to your guns .

Back