Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pull down or fanning?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I agree we are fully wfp but still use trad for  internal on commercial work and a very occasional shop front , but the latest cleaners I talk to arnt interested in Evan having trad gear they just refuse point blank to do anything other than wfp jobs 
They are not windies then in my eyes.

A window cleaner will use whatever method needed to clean a piece of glass.

I fan with 1 hand while soaping up the next window with my other if tradding.

Or soap up a conservatory and use a squeegee in each hand to do 2 windows at once.. only took me 30 years to get this good lol.

When Tradding I fan the windows. But then again I am a pro,so I am good at it. Rarely use straight pulls. But as always depends on the window at the time. And for me anyway it is quicker and easier....and more satisfying.

When I first set up on my own, I bought all the trad gear and practised from watching YouTube videos.  I got the knack to use the squeegees but with the "pull down" method because I simply could not "fan".  I decided to knock it on the head and decide I will not use the trad method or do internals.

I have only been asked twice if I can do internal windows - both were existing customers and they remain my customers despite saying no.

I don't think there's a need to use trad for domestic jobs unless you have made the decision you are doing internals.

When I first set up on my own, I bought all the trad gear and practised from watching YouTube videos.  I got the knack to use the squeegees but with the "pull down" method because I simply could not "fan".  I decided to knock it on the head and decide I will not use the trad method or do internals.

I have only been asked twice if I can do internal windows - both were existing customers and they remain my customers despite saying no.

I don't think there's a need to use trad for domestic jobs unless you have made the decision you are doing internals.
How can you not fan?

Sure you might be messy and need a bit of detailing but with experience it soon gets better.

I got shown on 1 window then told to copy him.

Copied him on the same window then he said ok keep up and I've been able to trad for 30 years now.

It's really not hard.

How can you not fan?

Sure you might be messy and need a bit of detailing but with experience it soon gets better.

Copied him on the same window then he said ok keep up and I've been able to trad for 30 years now.

It's really not hard.
Yes, with more and more practice I could have perfected the technique but ultimately, I don't think it's necessary for domestics these days. I don't want to go in people's homes and mess around with blinds, ornaments, and moving objects around. Having made this decision, I didn't think there was any point in perfecting the technique. 

I did spend a fair amount on multiple squegees, liquidators, blades etc. I've kept everything though just in case.

Have I been banished to the naughty step? 

Yes, with more and more practice I could have perfected the technique but ultimately, I don't think it's necessary for domestics these days. I don't want to go in people's homes and mess around with blinds, ornaments, and moving objects around. Having made this decision, I didn't think there was any point in perfecting the technique. 

I did spend a fair amount on multiple squegees, liquidators, blades etc. I've kept everything though just in case.

?? that's the beauty of being your own boss.. do what you want.. but keep the gear in case you get any shop fronts.

If your price is correct you make as much doing internal as you do for exterior window cleaning.

Keep your trad tools handy (in the vech) because sooner or later you will need them.

Bit of advice...

Become very proficient and effective in your chosen trade.

You will come across jobs you think (this will be simple) then things suddenly change, be ready to and be skilled enough to handle the job effectively. ?

How can you not fan?

It's really not hard.
Nope it's not hard to fan a window. 

My son could do it by the time he was 7 efficiently ???

Back