Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

flushing ro

WCF

Help Support WCF:

paul1

When flushing ro system is all water to go to waste or does it still produce useable pure?

Been told to let all go to waste but in instruction manual it just says that during flushing pure water production will decrease ? Any advice here please?

Also how often and how long should flushing be done? Been told once a week for 15 mins and every month for 45 mins ?

Thanks guys

You should dump it to waste as well as the tds of the pure will be higher. I don't bother though tbh as we live in an area where the water is reasonably soft and the r/o doesn't get religiously flushed at every fill. The amount of pure produced isn't much and the di vessel takes care of it.

@Smurf put a video up recently of tds creep, so if you have to flush a lot because of the quality of your water then you should also fit a 3 way tap on the pure before di so you can direct that water to waste as well.

Some have taken the route of by passing the di vessel and sending that higher tds pure water to their holding tank. It will be diluted with the incoming pure later and won't be noticed.

You should dump it to waste as well as the tds of the pure will be higher. I don't bother though tbh as we live in an area where the water is reasonably soft and the r/o doesn't get religiously flushed at every fill. The amount of pure produced isn't much and the di vessel takes care of it.
@Smurf put a video up recently of tds creep, so if you have to flush a lot because of the quality of your water then you should also fit a 3 way tap on the pure before di so you can direct that water to waste as well.

Some have taken the route of by passing the di vessel and sending that higher tds pure water to their holding tank. It will be diluted with the incoming pure later and won't be noticed.
Yes, I have fitted a couple of john guest taps before my DI vessel. So I flush out before every fill. I have fitted an inline TDS meter to moniter TDS before and after DI. Its amazing how high the TDS gets even if the RO isnt used for a Day or two.

In the pic, I shut the tap on the left to stop the water to the DI and open the tap at the bottom to divert the pure to a bucket while flushing. The waste water goes down the grid outside. Then when the TDS on the meter comes right down I open the left tap and close the bottom tap so the water passes through the DI.

Any water that goes to the bucket is disgarded

I only have a 450 GPD RO but is fine for me.

Back