Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Purified water freezing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Is this why?

Using Isopropyl Alcohol to prevent water from freezing:

10% alcohol:90% water will reduce the freezing point of water from 0 deg C to –3 deg C.

20% alcohol:80% water will reduce the freezing point of water from 0 deg C to –7 deg C.

40% alcohol:60% water will reduce the freezing point of water from 0 deg C to –20 deg C

At these sorts of mixes water will not freeze at its normal 0 Deg C.
Good point @spruce, but if you start mixing at 40/60, with the price of isopropyl, you start to wonder is it worth it ?, not that Britain ever gets to minus 20!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point @spruce, but if you start mixing at 40/60, with the price of isopropyl, you start to wonder is it worth it ?, not that Britain ever gets to minus 20!

Exactly @steve garwood. I'm not sure where @Your Window Cleanergot his mixing instructions from but at 1 liter to 600 litres his mix percentage is a far cry from 20% needed to stop water freezing down to -7 degrees C. His mixing ratio of 20% means he needs 120 liters of IPA and 480 liters of water to achieve -7 (20% IPA and 80% water). He couldn't clean with that mix.

I will probably think that the mixing instructions he used are as a cleaning ratio and not related to frost prevention.

Then added to all this is the hazards of IPA. Its flamable for a start. Its dangerous. Its also effects the eyes and lungs. "Repeated high exposure can cause headache, dizziness,confusion, loss of coordination, unconsciousness and even death."

http://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/1076.pdf

I asked for a small bottle from the chemist once and the lady asked me what I wanted it for. "To drink?" She refused to sell it to me even after I told her I was joking. I needed it to clean some electrical slide contacts. I had to get it from another chemist who asked the same question.

Last edited by a moderator:
@spruce  The 1 litre to 600ltrs is on WCW website, Their info has either been wrong, vauge or non existent one of the reasons I hardly ever buy from their site. 

Hi guys

We’ve had a brilliant response from everyone on this certain subject.

We’ve had our feet up over the last couple of days which I’m sure plenty of you have had too?. We do use an alcohol based product but although good for stopping the freezing process in and around ports, hose reels and heads, it’s not very good for anything further afield. But please keep your ideas coming in,we all

could do with em when we eventually get back to work?

Good luck to all our cleaner family, stay warm but more importantly stay safe?

Back