Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Quick question for you guys!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

JohnDoeWindows

Morning chaps, 

I posted here just before Christmas and got lots of great advice about starting and building my round. Now sitting at 400 customers ish, not bothering to take any more on at the moment as I am going to be taking a couple of weeks off in the not so distant future as my girlfriend is currently 7 and a half months pregnant!

Now, onto the question! A lad who I have helping me every now and then has decided he wants to start up his own round too but lacks confidence severely, I have tried to talk him out of franchising because I personally believe it best to start up on your own in the long run, but that's just my opinion. He is adamant he would like to go down the franchise route, so I said I'd put the feelers out and try find the best companies for him.

Are there any franchises out there that come with guaranteed work? That's the only thing he wants from them, other than that he is open. 

Cheers folks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning chaps, 

I posted here just before Christmas and got lots of great advice about starting and building my round. Now sitting at 400 customers ish, not bothering to take any more on at the moment as I am going to be taking a couple of weeks off in the not so distant future as my girlfriend is currently 7 and a half months pregnant!

Now, onto the question! A lad who I have helping me every now and then has decided he wants to start up his own round too but lacks confidence severely, I have tried to talk him out of franchising because I personally believe it best to start up on your own in the long run, but that's just my opinion. He is adamant he would like to go down the franchise route, so I said I'd put the feelers out and try find the best companies for him.

Are there any franchises out there that come with guaranteed work? That's the only thing he wants from them, other than that he is open. 

Cheers folks!
Good morning, having a franchise is a lazy way of starting a business in my opinion, Also you still require people and communicational skills to succeed. 

I respect the fact the lad lacks confidence however entering this industry isn't a doddle.

Has he considered team building exercises or trying to boast his personal skills in anyway.

I have seen many fail because they lack the zest or skills to run a business and a franchise isn't the best way to go about it due to the massive commitments and pressures.

there are many threads on her reference to franchising such as Darren at Green pro clean and many more

Sorry that's my honest opinion

For what it's worth, I agree with you completely and have said all of this to him. He says that the pressure of starting up on his own without any reassurance from anyone (despite telling him I would be willing to help him out, and give advice) would play on his mind too much. He is outgoing and good with people so I don't even think picking up customers would be an issue for him, but hey ho, he wants what he wants!

For what it's worth, I agree with you completely and have said all of this to him. He says that the pressure of starting up on his own without any reassurance from anyone (despite telling him I would be willing to help him out, and give advice) would play on his mind too much. He is outgoing and good with people so I don't even think picking up customers would be an issue for him, but hey ho, he wants what he wants!
Getting a franchise is buying a business in a box,

You may get a van the tools and logo but i've personally never seen the 100% guarantee of customers to go with that.

You buy into a brand and license to use a name.

Starting his own business is the best way to start as he will have to make an effort and build upon is personal skills, a franchise is no different and I think he doesn't fully understand the ethos of business and doing something for yourself in life.

When I and many others started out we didn't have any guarantees of success and it weighed heavily on our minds.

If he gets a franchise and it doesn't work out and goes tits up do he understand what happens then.

Starting your own business is only a minor loss compared to the latter

To be honest I can see the advantage to some people of a franchise. i.e you really don't have to think much or sort any processes out, it's almost like buying a job. 

The problem I have with windy franchises is brand recognition. If someone buys a McDonalds, KFC, DynoRod franchise people across the UK know the brand and would recognise them as quality - well a known quality that is - not necessarily the best quality. Does anyone know of a windy franchise that is a recognisable brand to the general public? So what is a windy franchise really buying? Some branding that could be bought cheaply on fiver and a guide to what kit to buy?

Personally I'm not keen on franchises for windy as I don't believe they give any advantage. 

@JohnDoeWindows could you 'mentor' him for a 'fee'. That would give him a great start, knowledge to help him start, and reassurance from someone he knows and you would earn a few quid for your time? Maybe you could sell him some of your work as a start?

As @ched999uk said, can you not build a round for him and keep 20% for doing so. A lot of trust involved though, unless you went down the legal route which is expensive. He could keep working for you as well so his income would be stable.

Or, if you trust him and he's a good reliable lad, why not go into a partnership, split 60/40 in your favour. You do the paperwork and he does the maintenance.

I think a partnership sounds like a very good idea. I'd be a bit concerned whether he'd have the commitment to stick with it long term. I'd make him put in a substantial financial input even if it had to be in stages/stoppages as he starts earning, and the money on a one way agreement. If he doesn't stick with it, he loses some or all of his investment. Partnership works very well for us : son and I on the tools, wife in the office (new log cabin garden office).

I know two other very stable and successful long term two man partnerships. None of them related to each other. Two man teams, each team with only one van to fuel, tax, insure and maintain, and you can't half eat the work when there's two of you.

I have no idea on the legal side of this to protect both parties but I imagine there's advice to be had.

Morning chaps, 

Cheers folks!
Do you know what. I was the same as this lad. Really low levels of confidence I was doing window cleaning part time at weekends for years. My main job was as a lorry driver. I thought I was going no where in life and I was my own worst enemy.

One day I got so fed up of working non stop and having no life I decided I was going to take the plunge and be brave so I handed my notice in, bought a van, started canvassing and joined checkatrade and I have not looked back. This could be the making of him. He will be fine he just needs that fire in his belly and plenty of hard work and determination. He dosent need a franchise.

I'm more than happy to give him all the advice in the world, but I don't think I would trust him enough without the legal framework in place, something that I don't have the time for right now. 

He said he's spoken to someone from a company called UKWindowClean - they charge 2400 and guarantee you 500 customers within 8 months. Surely there has to be a catch? Has anyone dealt with them as I've never heard of them before. 

I'm more than happy to give him all the advice in the world, but I don't think I would trust him enough without the legal framework in place, something that I don't have the time for right now. 

He said he's spoken to someone from a company called UKWindowClean - they charge 2400 and guarantee you 500 customers within 8 months. Surely there has to be a catch? Has anyone dealt with them as I've never heard of them before. 
The number of customers is irrelevant it’s price per job that s important you don’t want 500 £5 jobs 

The number of customers is irrelevant it’s price per job that s important you don’t want 500 £5 jobs 
I clean windows for a fiver but its a waste of time but its my neighbours even tried to raise it but feel its very hard to do. My minimum is £8 now and customers are beginning to realise the cheap clean days are over because their houses are rising so fast in price.

Again it's all down to a virtual promise.

I'd demand to see his accounts, reputation, reviews etc and possibly more legal paperwork and deep digging.

It's sounding like this lad with respect is doomed if you don't think he'll manage. Bit of a pipe dream

I clean windows for a fiver but its a waste of time but its my neighbours even tried to raise it but feel its very hard to do. My minimum is £8 now and customers are beginning to realise the cheap clean days are over because their houses are rising so fast in price.
But the price of cleaning windows isn’t affected by the cost of the house , whether the house costs 60k or 600 k The price will be similar based on the number of windows  it has 

But the price of cleaning windows isn’t affected by the cost of the house , whether the house costs 60k or 600 k The price will be similar based on the number of windows  it has 
Not up here. Cost of cleaning windows is like the council tax. We have a place where a few billionaires live and the minimum cost is £65 someone told me. If you go in and scratch their Lamborghini then we are talking thousands to respray. Got to be very careful when cleaning these houses so it takes double the time. They are happy to pay higher because they know you are trustworthy and will take your time. ? 

Morning chaps, 

Cheers folks!
why are you bothering?let him find out for himself.......

Back