Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Does anyone take their young lad to work in the holidays?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ashley1337

My son is 4, and the childminders he goes to is term time only. So now until he starts school he's going to be off for 6 weeks. My wife works from home as we have a salon out back so she can deal with him most of the time, but some days when she has specific clients or is teaching, she can't really have him at home...

I've thought about taking him with me, if I hammer the work I wouldn't be out too long so he'd probably sit in the locked van with snacks and he's ipad for half of the working day, but at some point he's going to want to get out and watch/try and help me lol.

Do customers look down on you if you bring your young one with you? Or do a few of you do it when you don't have much of a choice.

My lad is the same age as yours. Not a chance he'd be staying in that van, he's like my shadow when I'm doing stuff at home ?

I reckon the oldies would love him being there
Yeah mine is too lol wishful thinking that he'd sit in the van for a little bit haha

@ashley1337 I've taken my son out with me a few times (he's 12 now but was about 8 or 9 when I first took him). Only for the morning and take him home by lunch but he likes it and the customers love meeting him - I was a bit selective of the day to make sure it's customers that wouldn't moan or anything, but I have quite a lot of older customers so they just love him anyway. He even got given a £2 coin by a customer who never, ever tips me lol. Same as you though I took snacks and drinks out with us for between jobs.

@ashley1337 I've taken my son out with me a few times (he's 12 now but was about 8 or 9 when I first took him). Only for the morning and take him home by lunch but he likes it and the customers love meeting him - I was a bit selective of the day to make sure it's customers that wouldn't moan or anything, but I have quite a lot of older customers so they just love him anyway. He even got given a £2 coin by a customer who never, ever tips me lol. Same as you though I took snacks and drinks out with us for between jobs.
Yeah I was thinking specific days too, cheers for that I'll give it a try when I have to haha

You can't lock your 4 year old up in your van while you are cleaning windows imho. It would be the same as your wife locking him up in the car while she goes shopping. I do feel sorry for parents of young children these days during the school holidays.

When ours were small in South Africa and political violence was threatened, we occasionally had to take them to work. But they were usually placed in after care facilities that cost a fortune, where we knew they were safe.

I wouldn't put it in the same category as going shopping amd leaving them in the motor. The kids probably going to be in view apart from 5 to 10 mins while your at the back of the house. Not an hour like Shopping.

Needs must, and if that option would make your life easier then I'd atleast try it. Even for a couple of hours one day and see if it looks like it's going to work. It could be a disaster with him screaming everytime you get out the van or something.

Your likely to be working In streets where the only foot traffic is the people who stay there so I'd imagine he'd be pretty safe in a locked van for 10 mins. Youl obviously already know this but just make sure there's nothing that's within his reach that he could pick up and put in his mouth etc.

I personally hate kids and don't really take an interest in them tbh, I wouldn't mind if a workman had to brings there's along if they were doing work for me though.

I wouldn't put it in the same category as going shopping amd leaving them in the motor. The kids probably going to be in view apart from 5 to 10 mins while your at the back of the house. Not an hour like Shopping.

Needs must, and if that option would make your life easier then I'd atleast try it. Even for a couple of hours one day and see if it looks like it's going to work. It could be a disaster with him screaming everytime you get out the van or something.

Your likely to be working In streets where the only foot traffic is the people who stay there so I'd imagine he'd be pretty safe in a locked van for 10 mins. Youl obviously already know this but just make sure there's nothing that's within his reach that he could pick up and put in his mouth etc.

I personally hate kids and don't really take an interest in them tbh, I wouldn't mind if a workman had to brings there's along if they were doing work for me though.
Bloody hell mate. Hates a bit strong ?

It’s illegal to lock a person in a vehicle on a few occasions we have had to go and break into cars in supermarkets car parks due to parents locking them in social services are always involved and it will lead to possible prosecution.

Bloody hell mate. Hates a bit strong ?

Used to hate it when it was cash payments and they gave young kids the money to pay me. "Give the money to the man then, go on". Used to think ffs hurry up, no one thinks it's impressive your kid can hand money over lol. I'd never be nasty to a kid or cruel. Just don't like them.

Has the op kid developed no fear yet ? Seems every kid goes through this process.

Goes down a 3 ft slide and the mums like, look at him, he's no fear that one. Aye nae bother Janice, he's hardly sky diving you clown.

Used to hate it when it was cash payments and they gave young kids the money to pay me. "Give the money to the man then, go on". Used to think ffs hurry up, no one thinks it's impressive your kid can hand money over lol. I'd never be nasty to a kid or cruel. Just don't like them.

Has the op kid developed no fear yet ? Seems every kid goes through this process.

Goes down a 3 ft slide and the mums like, look at him, he's no fear that one. Aye nae bother Janice, he's hardly sky diving you clown.
? Tickled me that pal. My mums called Janis, but I'm still scared of slides

You can't lock your 4 year old up in your van while you are cleaning windows imho. It would be the same as your wife locking him up in the car while she goes shopping. I do feel sorry for parents of young children these days during the school holidays.

When ours were small in South Africa and political violence was threatened, we occasionally had to take them to work. But they were usually placed in after care facilities that cost a fortune, where we knew they were safe.
I didn't mean just lock him up and nip around, I meant more like when I reverse on customers drives and he's in site the whole time ?. We was paying £55 a day for childcare in term time, costs a bomb...

It’s illegal to lock a person in a vehicle on a few occasions we have had to go and break into cars in supermarkets car parks due to parents locking them in social services are always involved and it will lead to possible prosecution.
Haha I'm not locking him in, it's more locking the door with the window down whilst I'm right next to him so nobody can open the van ? and it would be the odd job where he wouldn't wanna be out and I can be on the customers drive etc not parked down road in a roasting day lol

Haha I'm not locking him in, it's more locking the door with the window down whilst I'm right next to him so nobody can open the van ? and it would be the odd job where he wouldn't wanna be out and I can be on the customers drive etc not parked down road in a roasting day lol
I understand it’s a difficult situation, just be careful due to heat and people seeing it and reporting it

I have a seven year old and can’t imagine bringing her to work and keeping an eye on her as well as doing a proper job and concentrating on work.

Each to there own and you have to do what works for you but I can imagine it just slowing you down.

I would have thought one of the main draws to domestic window cleaning is the flexibility and the ability to take time or a day off when needed.

Latest Posts

Back