Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

R/o v D/I in soft water area

WCF

Help Support WCF:

TimsScrims

I dont know if this topic has been covered but I have a unique situ and i will be upgrading my van/system in next few months, but also my situation will be changing too, i will be moving from a hard water location to a very soft water location this year (oop norf). I have a location where i can get purified water for my round down south £80 per month 1 van unlimited (Which will be maintained until i grow my work in soft water area) so to save money for the new location (soft water) should i upgrade to just the D/I setup (i think £700 cheaper than 4 part r/o process), i dont want the faff/cost of having my own water purification lab in new location. Was thinking also the xline 2 man hot water D/I set up (As new location is in colder climates) but a bit nervous if that will get me the true purified water i need to start cleaning in new location, what is it anyway? Is it just going through resin only??. Any help much appreciated, quite new to this as ive always had a cold water delivery.

Do you know the tds from the tap in the new area? Could be worth checking this out https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/Resin_Calculator.htm

My tds is 70 from the tap, I double Di through 11lt vessels and change resin about every 6-8 weeks, going through 7500l per month
No i dont unfortunately, i was up there visiting family recently and didnt think to bring my tds monitor, but im sure the readings in north scotland will be low enough.

my brother lives in the west of the lake district which is a soft water area and just runs his tap hose through d/i vessel and gets 0, changes resin every 3-5months dependant how lazy he is. 

does water pressure matter if your only using Resin filtration to produce pure water? 

No i dont unfortunately, i was up there visiting family recently and didnt think to bring my tds monitor, but im sure the readings in north scotland will be low enough.

my brother lives in the west of the lake district which is a soft water area and just runs his tap hose through d/i vessel and gets 0, changes resin every 3-5months dependant how lazy he is. 

does water pressure matter if your only using Resin filtration to produce pure water? 
Not sure about the water pressure, but takes me about 90 mins to produce 450l of pure. Guessing you will have to just try it out when you get there?

Not sure about the water pressure, but takes me about 90 mins to produce 450l of pure. Guessing you will have to just try it out when you get there?
The more contact time the water has with the resin the better quality water you will have  so you don’t to higher pressure , it’s not like an ro system where high pressure is needed to force water through a membrane, 

The more contact time the water has with the resin the better quality water you will have  so you don’t to higher pressure , it’s not like an ro system where high pressure is needed to force water through a membrane, 
I know I need to calm down and be more patient when filtering. Definitely gonna pencil in a few more 4 hour coffee break filtering sessions 

My tds is 70 from the tap, I double Di through 11lt vessels and change resin about every 6-8 weeks, going through 7500l per month
My tap Tds is about the same I find it cheaper long term to run an R/O at £230 for a 450gpd R/O it's more cost effective as it's £80-100 or  more for 1 bag of resin

My tap Tds is about the same I find it cheaper long term to run an R/O at £230 for a 450gpd R/O it's more cost effective as it's £80-100 or  more for 1 bag of resin
You ve still got to fork out for membranes,filters,etc every so often....and also if your on a water meter your bill will be much higher due to the waste water,also it's just more hassle/maintenance in general than a simple DI system.....

You ve still got to fork out for membranes,filters,etc every so often....and also if your on a water meter your bill will be much higher due to the waste water,also it's just more hassle/maintenance in general than a simple DI system.....
Yes but 6 bags a year lets say at £100 is £600 a year ongoing over 10 years that's £6,000, setting up a R/O for a soft  water area plus static tank etc will cost £700 at most then £70 per annum on 4 pre-filter changes across a year, year one £700 outlay then £70 each year over 10 years £1,400 a very tidy saving off £4,600, inflation and rising costs not included ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Never really thought about that, great point for me to consider, thanks.
No worries I bought mine from http://daqua.co.uk and buy all my R/O consumables from @doug atkinson he is a top man and very helpful and always happy to chat over the phone or via email if there is a need to, when I was having a nightmare of an issue with my R/O a while back I ordered a new one via Doug's website and he cancelled the order as he wouldn't accept the sale and spent time going through the issue I had which turned out was me messing things up, How many suppliers would do that??? that for me speaks volumes about the man himself so I will always big him up!!

My TDS has just dropped from 90 to about 64 but double di for me even at 90.....on a water meter though so that makes a difference....£3 per thousand litres.

Yes but 6 bags a year lets say at £100 is £600 a year ongoing over 10 years that's £6,000, setting up a R/O for a soft  water area plus static tank etc will cost £700 at most then £70 per annum on 4 pre-filter changes across a year, year one £700 outlay then £70 each year over 10 years £1,400 a very tidy saving off £4,600, inflation and rising costs not included ?
i only use 2 bags of resin a year so im not bothered!plus im on a water meter!?

Latest Posts

Back