Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Reel hose mine has become unmanageable!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Davey,

Interesting you have said that as we have quite a few issues and get told no one else has had issues just you !!!

And I agree what you are saying
Thanks @doug. I've had to do this with all three of my reels. Like I said previously, 'a simple problem that should have been sorted at design and manufacture, years ago.

Your quite welcome to quote me to anyone if you wish. I think I was told by my supplier at the time that I was the only one that ever reported the issue.

A confession : it's not a Davy G original  idea. It was the suggestion of a treasured and much respected pal of mine several years ago when I asked his advice. It is a transformation to the reels. A couple of turns of the big handle to get it moving and the reel takes on a flywheel affect making winding in almost effortless, provided I take some of the hose back with me while returning to the van, rather than trying to winch in the whole lot from the farthest corner of the properties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @doug. I've had to do this with all three of my reels. Like I said previously, 'a simple problem that should have been sorted at design and manufacture, years ago.

Your quite welcome to quote me to anyone if you wish. I think I was told by my supplier at the time that I was the only one that ever reported the issue.

A confession : it's not a Davy G original  idea. It was the suggestion of a treasured and much respected pal of mine several years ago when I asked his advice. It is a transformation to the reels. A couple of turns of the big handle to get it moving and the reel takes on a flywheel affect making winding in almost effortless, provided I take some of the hose back with me while returning to the van, rather than trying to winch in the whole lot from the farthest corner of the properties.
Mind me asking who was your supplier, thanks.

Mind me asking who was your supplier, thanks.
Not at all, Streamline. Such a pity as I raised the issue quietly, without making a fuss. It's the way I prefer to do things. I'm very conscious of preserving companies hard earned reputations. Such an easy and cheap fix though. That's why I don't understand it not being dealt with. I was always fairly sure I wasn't the only one with this issue. How could I be?

There are other suppliers, your good self included that I see addressing highlighted problems on the forum. That's proper business. We're all in different aspects of the same trade. Makes sense and helps us all to co-operate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not at all, Streamline. Such a pity as I raised the issue quietly, without making a fuss. It's the way I prefer to do things. I'm very conscious of preserving companies hard earned reputations. Such an easy and cheap fix though. That's why I don't understand it not being dealt with. I was always fairly sure I wasn't the onl one with the issue. How could I be?
My guess is the cloverleaf reels are all made in the same factory (probably China?) and when they stop working as they have pushed the sides out people just buy another one. There really isn't that much choice in the way of manual reels. There is only the Claber metal or the Cloverleafs unless you want to spend silly money on a manual reel.

The good thing is you have highlighted the issue and posted an easy fix. So the people who bother to look and try and fix things instead of buying new can find your posts and keep the reels going for much longer ?.

My guess is the cloverleaf reels are all made in the same factory (probably China?) and when they stop working as they have pushed the sides out people just buy another one. There really isn't that much choice in the way of manual reels. There is only the Claber metal or the Cloverleafs unless you want to spend silly money on a manual reel.

The good thing is you have highlighted the issue and posted an easy fix. So the people who bother to look and try and fix things instead of buying new can find your posts and keep the reels going for much longer ?.
I suspect you're right as to the country of manufacture @ched999uk But a definite and inexcusable fault at this stage that if brought to the attention of the manufacturers by the customer (uk importer) must surely be  easily corrected.

Without the modification I would consider the reels to be unfit for professional purposes. I use only this type of reel as in general to me it looks right. I would expect to get a minimum of 10 years stirling service out of one. I wouldn't want to be lifting it in and out of the van as they are heavy enough. I'm lucky in that we can work with the van open. I wouldn't want to be lifting any reel in and out and be bent double winding in on the ground unless there was absolutely no choice.

I have no experience of any other reels. Never needed to. These are so tough and free running. There's a shortcut in the effort involved. Instead of standing in front of the reel. Stand to the side and spin the reel with the lower arm only rather than pumping with the shoulder. This increases the speed and reduces the effort tremendously.

Not at all, Streamline. Such a pity as I raised the issue quietly, without making a fuss. It's the way I prefer to do things. I'm very conscious of preserving companies hard earned reputations. Such an easy and cheap fix though. That's why I don't understand it not being dealt with. I was always fairly sure I wasn't the only one with this issue. How could I be?

There are other suppliers, your good self included that I see addressing highlighted problems on the forum. That's proper business. We're all in different aspects of the same trade. Makes sense and helps us all to co-operate.
Many thanks. To date I think we have replaced around 20 bushings. 

I know what the issue is and hopefully they will sort it out as have raised it.

We highlighted this mid last year along with couple of issues and I thought I was going mad as we were only experiencing these problems.

Many thanks for your input.

There's a shortcut in the effort involved. Instead of standing in front of the reel. Stand to the side and spin the reel with the lower arm only rather than pumping with the shoulder. This increases the speed and reduces the effort tremendously.
Cheers. Back out tomorrow as van racking arrived today so I fitted that. 

I will give your technique a go tomorrow. Unfortunately can't leave doors open so reel out and then back in but it is a Claber so a bit lighter weight. Still working on a way of holding it in van while I reel in as don't want to drill floor unless it's only solution. Have a soft rubber matt to try tomorrow.

Many thanks. To date I think we have replaced around 20 bushings. 

I know what the issue is and hopefully they will sort it out as have raised it.

We highlighted this mid last year along with couple of issues and I thought I was going mad as we were only experiencing these problems.

Many thanks for your input.
You're very welcome. Embrace madness... in moderation! I certainly do?. Normality and sanity are over-rated. The world is run by "normal" people. Look at the firkin state of it. Every year is like mankind has just landed on the planet and is running around without a clue. Eccentric and glad to be. That's for me.?

I will give your technique a go tomorrow. Unfortunately can't leave doors open so reel out and then back in but it is a Claber so a bit lighter weight. Still working on a way of holding it in van while I reel in as don't want to drill floor unless it's only solution. Have a soft rubber matt to try tomorrow.
You might be able to put a quick release tether from somewhere inside the roof. I wouldn't want to drill the floor either unless there was no other option.

fit some ply sideways so it’s snug and doesn’t move and screw into that…

I used plastic pipe holders to begin with but a z shape metal fitting is way better imo. Just use a bit of wood at the back to stop it sliding backwards. So much better than getting reel out for every job don’t know why anyone is still doing that 

You might be able to put a quick release tether from somewhere inside the roof. I wouldn't want to drill the floor either unless there was no other option.
Thanks. I tried a tether going forwards to the tank but the reel still slid about. I can easily add a tether to the roof as the pole rack goes all the way across. I might try that next, cheers.

Thanks. I tried a tether going forwards to the tank but the reel still slid about. I can easily add a tether to the roof as the pole rack goes all the way across. I might try that next, cheers.
If you look at the photo of my back door reel you'll see that's what I did with a cam webbing strap. It stops the reel from going in any direction more than an inch or two but allows me to swivel it to suit my direction of work. I didn't fit a quick release as I almost never need to remove the reel.

Not at all worried about their consumables because they cream the money in on van sales, installs, trailers and large-scale business packages 

Out of the van use your foot to secure reel to the floor, tilt reel back, if right handed put left forearm on top bar of reel and reel in with right hand and guide hose with the left hand. Might sound complicated but will make it much easier and quicker if you can translate the above.

Out of the van use your foot to secure reel to the floor, tilt reel back, if right handed put left forearm on top bar of reel and reel in with right hand and guide hose with the left hand. Might sound complicated but will make it much easier and quicker if you can translate the above.
Maybe that is where I am going wrong! I was lifting the reel back into van to be at a better height to reel in. As the floor has protectacoat on (or something like it) the metal reel just slides on it. 

I get your technique but I'm not sure it will work with my back, I can't bend at the hips or touch my toes, never have been able too. I have always squatted to bend down as my legs are good.  I did just squat behind the reel and wind in with right hand and clean hose with left.

I will give your technique a go and see if that helps, thanks.

Have a couple of things to try tomorrow, cheers everyone.

Peugeot partner and berlingo you can fit a bumper port 

Inside the rear piller behind the lighting cluster you drill a hole and feed hose down and exit behind the rear cross member 

Screenshot_20220125-222257_Instagram.jpg

Peugeot partner and berlingo you can fit a bumper port 

Inside the rear piller behind the lighting cluster you drill a hole and feed hose down and exit behind the rear cross member 

View attachment 26320
Cheers mate. It has 4 bumper ports, 2 for the pumps, water in and waste out.

I'm not sure new shape is quite the same as rear light clusters don't go through to the inside! To change lamps you open rear doors, undo 2 torx bolts, remove cluster and then change lamps. The box section behind lights has no access to rear, unless you drill through the rear pillar.

I do like your blanking plug with the tether ?

I did do a search on this, honest?

When I first started out I just used a backpack, then mid summer last year I bought myself some hose with reel. I did go cheap and bought this

Ebay

Forgive me fellow windys

It was fine in the warmer months, but now with some of the colder weather it's become really stiff like a spring.

Now I'm happy to spend money on some good reel hose, but is this a trait of reel hose or is it just what i bought was ****

I would prefer just 50mtrs as i don't think my reel will take much more.

So what reel hose would you guys/girls recommended that stays soft/pliable in the colder months.

My pole hose is the Gardiner FLEXIBLE REINFORCED YELLOW PVC and that is really nice to work with but not recommended for using on the reel
Cheap hose will suffer more memory effect as it wasn't produced to the highest standards

Hoses are a thermoplastic and when extruded they cycle through heat treatments and plunge baths

Have you tried flowing boiling hot water through it to try and loosen the molecular structure.

The best hose I've had and use is 100m of streamline hi vis. I got a better price from Wintecs in Cornwall

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Cheap hose will suffer more memory effect as it wasn't produced to the highest standards

Hoses are a thermoplastic and when extruded they cycle through heat treatments and plunge baths

Have you tried flowing boiling hot water through it to try and loosen the molecular structure.

The best hose I've had and use is 100m of streamline hi vis. I got a better price from Wintecs in Cornwall

I have 100mtrs of brand new wrapped and boxed microbore, surplus to requirement. Bought from the window cleaning warehouse.
Just £50

Back