Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Renting out a round

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I used to rent work out over 10 years back to someone who I considered a friend but I would definitely not recommend renting out part or full round ever again.I got stung/ripped off.
I used to look at the big money men round here who have a lot of rounds rented out ( I'm talking 20 plus renters) and wonder how they did it successfully and the only ones who do it successfully are the one who will just pop up and work for a day unannounced for free to the tenant of the round (to keep a check and to let the customers know who owns the round). The other rules with an iron fist and is a bully.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Unfortunately I’ve had bad experiences on both sides of this. When I started out it was with my ex’s dad and he paid me a set wage to run everything and look after the lads. After four years he moved to Spain and cut off any interest, financial support or help whilst still taking £1200 a month from me. Three years after that I was almost bankrupt, skint, struggling to stay motivated and paying the lads more than I was taking home. Decided at that point enough was enough and gave him an ultimatum. We fell out big time and he accused me of trying to steal his business etc so we ceased trading, I wrote to every single customer explaining we wouldn’t be coming any more and walked away. It’s taken me 5 years to grow again, and yeah half of that customer base came back to me of their own accord because they knew ME, they liked ME more and trusted ME. I didn’t set out for these people to come back to me, but they did. It was a horrendous 3 years for me and we threw away a £1200pw revenue stream but I’ve retained those customers for 12 years now and they’re loyal to a fault. 

So for me, now I’m working solo and doing great, making near enough the same because of modern technology, better customer base and easier payment methods but if I ever want to branch out it’ll be more vans and set targets for EMPLOYED staff instead. 

I’ve moved 40-70 miles away from my main round now to supplement my girlfriends journey to her job with the idea of building here too and splitting the work in to two vans and two areas but progress is slow so I do 500miles a week to keep everything going. 

I feel for you and your circumstances, no doubt you’re between a rock and a hard place, but I would be very careful about the decision you make now. I would try and get someone physically employed so you’re protected within some degree, explain your situation to every single customer you have too so they know to expect your return, and make sure you try to commit the odd day or two to be back up there and out working with them. 

Good luck mate. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If the work means that much to you and depending on how far you moving away you could WFP that amount of work in 3 days max if priced correctly.

Then find a good mate to crash with for 2 nights and Bobs your uncle.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

it would have to be priced sky high to hit then figures which is very unlikely on a newly canvased bit of work.

Don't know any domestic only sole traders hitting 450-500 a day.

I have a subby that rents my domestic work.

They use my cards and the customers pays via my bank.

Apart from the very odd complaint which you will always get when some one new does your work it runs smoothly.

it would have to be priced sky high to hit then figures which is very unlikely on a newly canvased bit of work.

Don't know any domestic only sole traders hitting 450-500 a day.

I have a subby that rents my domestic work.
They use my cards and the customers pays via my bank.
Apart from the very odd complaint which you will always get when some one new does your work it runs smoothly.

Now you know one. [emoji13]

Now you know one.
emoji13.png

Fair play mate that's good going.

Do you hit £450-£500 + vat or is vat included in that daily turnover?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not VAT registered as I only work 8-10 days a month.
Round not very compact but 85% pay online.
And I charge a £1 a window.
When I first started a friend said to me you can earn £400 a day.
I didn’t believe him until one day went to work with him and I was gob smacked.
Started 3 months later and my first gutter job I priced was a days work and charged the guy a days rate.
Never looked back since.
The problem is I have tried training people who want to do it the same way as me and never turned out successful.
The reason is that it’s all to do with mentality. I had the mind set of making as much money in a day no matter how tiring it is, whatever the weather or if I’ve got the man flu so that I get 21 days of a month give or take off. It’s never been about the money really I’m just buying my time back.
People I’ve trained in the past think all about the money and get disappointed when they don’t reach that, then get disheartened and naturally slow down doing £200 a day, everyday, whining about how busy they are and can’t go on holiday. Blah blah blah.

Sorry gone on a bit, wife bought me a nice single malt and I have tucked into it. Forums and alcohol should be a no go.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Back