Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Running van mounted pump from Containers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

McDirty

Afternoon all,

Just about to set up my van. In the short term I want to use 25L containers to supply my water.

can I simply put a non return valve on the end of the feed hose so I don’t get air locks when I move the hose from one container to another.

Atm I am using an Astra van and I use it for all sorts, I am going to be buying a bigger van later in the year when I get paid off from my current employer.

Afternoon all,

Just about to set up my van. In the short term I want to use 25L containers to supply my water.

can I simply put a non return valve on the end of the feed hose so I don’t get air locks when I move the hose from one container to another.

Atm I am using an Astra van and I use it for all sorts, I am going to be buying a bigger van later in the year when I get paid off from my current employer.
You will minimize airlocks by fitting a non return valve but you will never eliminate them. There will be times when you suck the barrel dry even with your pickup hose at the bottom. As the water level in your barrels drops the line of least resistance is for the pump to suck air even although the pickup tube may still be below the water level.

You will minimize airlocks by fitting a non return valve but you will never eliminate them. There will be times when you suck the barrel dry even with your pickup hose at the bottom. As the water level in your barrels drops the line of least resistance is for the pump to suck air even although the pickup tube may still be below the water level.
Thanks for you’re reply. I guess it’s a bit of a suck it and see situation. 

I assume what I’m trying to do is similar to how a back pack works?

Afternoon all,

Good afternoon. You'll still get issues with air locks as dipping the pickup into different barrels will act like a capillary effect.

Years ago I made a 6 barrel manifold system and that didn’t work out

You'll find that any van mounted barrel setup will eat your time and effort away from the glass

Good afternoon. You'll still get issues with air locks as dipping the pickup into different barrels will act like a capillary effect.

Years ago I made a 6 barrel manifold system and that didn’t work out

You'll find that any van mounted barrel setup will eat your time and effort away from the glass
I considered a manifold system also. But decided it may be too much effort and couldn’t quite get my head around it without actually trying it.

the van I am using at the moment has been loaned to me by my father in law so I don’t want to start bolting tanks through the floor etc.

the manifold system you made  did the barrels connect together and one fed to the pump or did the pump pick up from them all at the same time?

Thanks for you’re reply. I guess it’s a bit of a suck it and see situation. 

I assume what I’m trying to do is similar to how a back pack works?
The difference is that a backpack draws water from the bottom of the water tank and that the pump is underneath the tank. This means a refilled backup will prime very quickly.

I'm sure someone mentioned on here recently that using a smaller diamt pickup hose will help clear airlocks quicker.

Last edited by a moderator:
I considered a manifold system also. But decided it may be too much effort and couldn’t quite get my head around it without actually trying it.

the van I am using at the moment has been loaned to me by my father in law so I don’t want to start bolting tanks through the floor etc.

the manifold system you made  did the barrels connect together and one fed to the pump or did the pump pick up from them all at the same time?
A manifold system is so easy providing all the tubing is cut straight

All you need is 10 or 15mm barrier pipe and push connect equal tees and straight pipes cut for thr pick ups

I can manager that. Thanks 
Here is the best method of making pick ups, I build a few custom trolley systems and use 12mm pvc tubing with a piece of 20mm electrical conduit to stop the pick up hose floating and picking up air

Even in my trolley systems I have never had a air lock or cavitation due to the way I build my systems

you needn't worry about individual filter strainers if you use one on the pump inlet

20210705_202838.jpg

20210705_202823.jpg

Here is the best method of making pick ups, I build a few custom trolley systems and use 12mm pvc tubing with a piece of 20mm electrical conduit to stop the pick up hose floating and picking up air

Even in my trolley systems I have never had a air lock or cavitation due to the way I build my systems

you needn't worry about individual filter strainers if you use one on the pump inlet

View attachment 25049

View attachment 25050
Perfect. Thank you. I’ll have a look at this, this week.

contemplating the matrix idea using 3 x 25l and just filling them with a small pump from other containers

Back