Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Scratches!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Beeejayteee

Hi guys,
I don't know if I'm being a bit paranoid but how concerned are you about scratching the glass with your brush? I've only been on wfp for 18 months I was a little blase' about looking after my brush until a customer thought that perhaps there was a slight scratch on his glass, I couldn't deny it was me but it made me more conscious about protecting my brush from being contaminated.
This week I went to a customer and I was trying to clean off, what I thought was a spiders web but it turned out to be a pretty deep v shaped scratch and there was another one on the pain next to it. I felt the need to point it out to my customer, she was very good about it as they were old units but if they were new windows I'm sure they wouldn't of been as understanding. It's knocked my confidence and I find myself checking all the time.
I would appreciate your experience with this issue.
Thanks

Hi guys,
I don't know if I'm being a bit paranoid but how concerned are you about scratching the glass with your brush? I've only been on wfp for 18 months I was a little blase' about looking after my brush until a customer thought that perhaps there was a slight scratch on his glass, I couldn't deny it was me but it made me more conscious about protecting my brush from being contaminated.
This week I went to a customer and I was trying to clean off, what I thought was a spiders web but it turned out to be a pretty deep v shaped scratch and there was another one on the pain next to it. I felt the need to point it out to my customer, she was very good about it as they were old units but if they were new windows I'm sure they wouldn't of been as understanding. It's knocked my confidence and I find myself checking all the time.
Thanks
I don't blame you. Wherever possible I try and have a look when doing a quote. A couple of years ago I had a long term regular customer move house. When she moved her husband built a big glass fronted garden room. She asked me to clean the windows in an out (she'd been on my books for about 4 years). Instincts kicked in an I had a look before cleaning and found a number of small scratches on the corners. I think it was bad handling when they were installed. I pointed them out and she said don't worry go ahead. All ok until the next clean when she (albeit very politely) said our services were no longer needed. I think her husband was fed up that I'd pointed them out. You can't guarantee it won't happen but you can only take the steps you are doing at the moment. Don't be too hard on yourself about it mate.

Hi guys,
Thanks
Common sense really, you don't keep your toothbrush on the patio. Your brush is what sustains your livelihood and quality control and care of kit should be a priority

I'd you fail to use some forethought you'll be buying everyone new sealed units and you'll get those who will try and use your PLI against you
Loss of work, loss of reputation and jobless

I don't blame you. Wherever possible I try and have a look when doing a quote. A couple of years ago I had a long term regular customer move house. When she moved her husband built a big glass fronted garden room. She asked me to clean the windows in an out (she'd been on my books for about 4 years). Instincts kicked in an I had a look before cleaning and found a number of small scratches on the corners. I think it was bad handling when they were installed. I pointed them out and she said don't worry go ahead. All ok until the next clean when she (albeit very politely) said our services were no longer needed. I think her husband was fed up that I'd pointed them out. You can't guarantee it won't happen but you can only take the steps you are doing at the moment. Don't be too hard on yourself about it mate.
Cheers mate

Common sense really, you don't keep your toothbrush on the patio. Your brush is what sustains your livelihood and quality control and care of kit should be a priority

I'd you fail to use some forethought you'll be buying everyone new sealed units and you'll get those who will try and use your PLI against you
Loss of work, loss of reputation and jobless
I am very careful with my brush. What confused me with this incident was I cleaned 3 windows straight, one after another not touching anything and yet the last window was the one that was damaged and not a mark on the other two.

Its very rare - but it happens - there will be some die-hards on forums that will always insist the customer is lying.

Good housekeeping is essential - I run my hand through the bristles at the start of every job and never rest it on the ground

Keep vigilante and you will be ok

Back