Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Self-mixing hypo vs pre-mixed (results?)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

LiamChecks

Hi all,

For approved and legal purposes, I will want to begin using approved pre-mixed chemicals on the market but I still have some 14-15% hypo and I have been mixing with bleach safe surfactant for quite a while so will continue to do this until I run out of these barrels.

Question, is there ANY difference in performance between self-mixing 14-15% hypo with surfactant vs using a product like NuClear Pro/Benz Lightning Cleanze for example? Are the approved products better at actually removing organic staining or is it a fad and actually it's the same, just approved.

What are your opinions and knowledge?

Thanks,
Liam

The only HSE approved hypo I know is lightening cleanz - it’s pre mixed, hypo, sufactant and some other little touches (sodium hydroxide which is a degreaser / strong cleaner of proteins ) Overall it’s very expensive per litre but it’s HSE approved and a ready to go mix. Legally you can’t mix it with any soaps ect or it’s no longer approved.

You can use pure seal hypo it’s 82£ for 75 litres so imo that’s a very good price - delivery is £30 so it’s worth getting 150L + imo. Works out a smidge more than red label mole valley, but 15% so it’s 4% stronger. The way I see it is the product is designed for exterior cleaning so from an insurance pov it’s much better than farmers bleach which is not.

Hi all,

For approved and legal purposes, I will want to begin using approved pre-mixed chemicals on the market but I still have some 14-15% hypo and I have been mixing with bleach safe surfactant for quite a while so will continue to do this until I run out of these barrels.

Question, is there ANY difference in performance between self-mixing 14-15% hypo with surfactant vs using a product like NuClear Pro/Benz Lightning Cleanze for example? Are the approved products better at actually removing organic staining or is it a fad and actually it's the same, just approved.

What are your opinions and knowledge?

Thanks,
Liam
We have used them all and I find my own mix works just as well as the pre mixed stuff lightning clenze is not as good as my own mix by a long way , we do use it on certain jobs as the customer has specified it must be used but it’s no better and costs 3-4 times more at least . I understand why you want to use pre mixed and that’s your choice it will do the job but will reduce your profit margins or possibly not get the job if material costs are many times more than the competition. After it was recommended by someone on here I tried the nuclear I gave a selection of barrels that the staff didn’t know what they were using lightning clenze was the worst nuclear second and my own mix won hands down on speed and finished results this was the results from 5 guys all using the stuff separately. That was all I needed to know , so unl the customer specifically says brand x must be used then it’s my own mix that’s used . I have also found theses ore mixed versions shelf life is greatly reduced , lightning clenze after 3 months in unopened barrels started to expand and blow fluid out of the lids , and had lost its cleaning power , nuclear was similar , not sure why but transporting barrels that start fizzung up is not a pleasant experience , I phoned Benz about it and they said never Hurd that happen before, we have had it happen many times and I know others that have experience it as well .

With your own mix you can control the strength, making it more effective and faster acting. Also, once you've got some experience with hypo you can look at a job and with a fair defree of accuracy judge what strength is needed.
I can't say that about products like Lightning Cleanze meaning much more uncertainty about how much product will be needed, number of applications, time to do the job and quality of the end result.
R.E. question of whether it's a fad - no it's not. Approved products will be fundamental once softwashing starts being regulated.