Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

soap-war(yes again)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

John2

first of all why again? Simple:It's the most important thing in trad.

My exp. over the years is i still always go back to Dreft(fairy),i have tested it in combo with vinegar/rince-aid(pure dreft works still beter).  Next week i am going to test W5 from lidl recommendid from a fellow cleaner....

hoping on other exp. (i am from Belgium, my Englisch is not always correct....)

So bring it on....

Last edited by a moderator:

My exp. over the years is i still always go back to Dreft(fairy),i have tested it in combo with vinegar/rince-aid(pure dreft works still beter).  Next week i am going to test W5 from lidl recommendid from a fellow cleaner....

So bring it on....
W5 is okay and does the job but the viscosity and required measurement takes some getting used to.

I used to use Ecover but in winter it thickens and goes to a solidified gel which doesn't pour or dissolve well 

This from b&q.

The one that says interior window cleaner is the same stuff and is basically squeegee-off under a different name.Screenshot_20220119-231827_Samsung Internet.jpg

W5 is okay and does the job but the viscosity and required measurement takes some getting used to.

I used to use Ecover but in winter it thickens and goes to a solidified gel which doesn't pour or dissolve well 
I  have been cleaning with ecover in de past for some time, but went back to fairy. The glide with fairy is better...

I have tested W5 now this week, i must say it's seem to be a competitor to the 'dawn-fairy' so far....

As for the end-result (film on the glass): there has not been enough sun to give a comment on it.

I  have been cleaning with ecover in de past for some time, but went back to fairy. The glide with fairy is better...

I have tested W5 now this week, i must say it's seem to be a competitor to the 'dawn-fairy' so far....

As for the end-result (film on the glass): there has not been enough sun to give a comment on it.
I used to use fairy etc but since using the other stuff and helping with the development of the liquidator etc I haven't found anything better than what I use now.

I will however sometimes add 1 small squirt of fairy etc to a bucket for a touch more slip but I never have to detail anything on my trad work.

I add the soap straight to my applicator but a little fairy in the water doesn't hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the fairy the best. I tried Unger (green) Razor (red), Fairy (classic green). If you talk about the shop fronts, it definitely removes all fingerprints, grease, cellotape etc in combination with sleeve, which has on the other side green, rough scrubbing strip. Try to add it into your repertoire, as combination of mechanical and chemical solution might be better than just chemical.
Unger does not leave streaks, even if you miss a bit, but it does not glide well. It's terribly expensive.
The Razor has on the label that does not leave streaks, but it does. It's a bit expensive.
If you live in belgium you might find the unger too I guess. I would recommend to try it, but I trust fairy

My exp. over the years is i still always go back to Dreft(fairy),i have tested it in combo with vinegar/rince-aid(pure dreft works still beter). Next week i am going to test W5 from lidl recommendid from a fellow cleaner....

So bring it on....
Can not go wrong with just Fairy washing up liquid. ?

I’m currently 95% wfp but before I switched I used Persil or fairy platinum. Original fairy used to be the best but it seems like they changed the formula in recent years. I still do about 30-35 shop fronts a week and to be honest I’ll just lift whatever is in my kitchen at the time.

Been using razrglide the last couple of weeks neat on the applicator and just pure in the bucket
Perfect I reckon and doubt I will find any better
Also excellent with 18” combinator used as a 1 pass tool with razor red rubber
23 quid for 10 litres so will last forever

Titan Glass Gleam 3 soft water areas and Glass Gleam 4 for hard water areas.
Designed for window cleaning not dishes.
The best money can buy. Yes it is £10 a litre.
Leaves no residue, when I finish job I am amazed how clean the glass is.
Very few suds bubbles, does not wick onto glass from frames seals, very minimal detailing, usually just top of frame - none in summer.
Saves huge amount of time easily 20% of on-glass time.
Long wetting time so can wet up more glass before using the squeegee.
When we changed to WFP there was no issue of getting rid of soap residue on first clean.
As with WFP glass stays cleaner for longer, dish detergent leaves residues on glass which attract dirt
Use soft rubber blades as it does not glide so easily as dish detergent.
Do not add anything to make suds or make gliding easier like glycerine as this will totally negate the benefits of GG3 GG4

Try it for at least a week and you will never use Fairy etc again.
We still do trad for some customers and of course for internal cleaning and only use GG3.

Titan Glass Gleam 3 soft water areas and Glass Gleam 4 for hard water areas.
Designed for window cleaning not dishes.
The best money can buy. Yes it is £10 a litre.
Leaves no residue, when I finish job I am amazed how clean the glass is.
Very few suds bubbles, does not wick onto glass from frames seals, very minimal detailing, usually just top of frame - none in summer.
Saves huge amount of time easily 20% of on-glass time.
Long wetting time so can wet up more glass before using the squeegee.
When we changed to WFP there was no issue of getting rid of soap residue on first clean.
As with WFP glass stays cleaner for longer, dish detergent leaves residues on glass which attract dirt
Use soft rubber blades as it does not glide so easily as dish detergent.
Do not add anything to make suds or make gliding easier like glycerine as this will totally negate the benefits of GG3 GG4

Try it for at least a week and you will never use Fairy etc again.
We still do trad for some customers and of course for internal cleaning and only use GG3.
We use GG3 and have done for around 15 years but it’s not that good for slip on the glass that’s the only down side to it

Been using razrglide the last couple of weeks neat on the applicator and just pure in the bucket
Perfect I reckon and doubt I will find any better
Also excellent with 18” combinator used as a 1 pass tool with razor red rubber
23 quid for 10 litres so will last forever
Sorry Dave did i misunderstand or you pouring this neat into bucket ? Or just dousing the applicator with it neat ?

Magnum premium from Aldi, usually go for lime and lemongrass, has a decent thickness to it and doesn't streak if mixed with a 1/4 of a buckets worth of pure water. Nice and cheap too.

Latest Posts

Back