Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

soap-war(yes again)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I'm thinking of starting up soon. I used to work for my Dad and uncle cleaning windows in preparation for them to install window film. I was using johnsons baby soap as that's what they used for installing the film. Has anyone tried this? It was a long time ago so I'll try it out again to see how it performs.

I'm thinking of starting up soon. I used to work for my Dad and uncle cleaning windows in preparation for them to install window film. I was using johnsons baby soap as that's what they used for installing the film. Has anyone tried this? It was a long time ago so I'll try it out again to see how it performs.
Read this thread as it might make you use something different.
May I ask why you are starting up doing trad? OK wfp is a bigger investment but you don't need to work off ladders and it's probably quicker in most circumstances - not all. It's good to be able to trad for shop fronts or internals and for the odd window.

Been using razrglide the last couple of weeks neat on the applicator and just pure in the bucket
Perfect I reckon and doubt I will find any better
Also excellent with 18” combinator used as a 1 pass tool with razor red rubber
23 quid for 10 litres so will last forever
I wholeheartedly agree with this @Dave B best I've ever used out of HG, Unger Liquid, Fairy, Ecover and Magnum etc. ?? 5*

I do a little bit of traditional work. Soap wise I don't like using washing up liquid at all - I find it irritates my skin and is also quite bad for my wife's eczema (we often work together). I've tried a few window cleaning soaps/solutions and until bout 18 months ago I used unger liquid (then they seemed to change the ingredients and it wasn't the same). Now I swear by Ettore squeegee off as the best all rounder, and if it's very windy or hot I put a tiny amount of winsol super slip in the bucket too. Good luck with your new start up ?

Been using a cheap soap for a very long time only recently using Fairy , no real difference recently had to soap up an ex customers windows as he wouldnt pay and must say Fairy neat left them looking a treat! like whitewash

Read this thread as it might make you use something different.
May I ask why you are starting up doing trad? OK wfp is a bigger investment but you don't need to work off ladders and it's probably quicker in most circumstances - not all. It's good to be able to trad for shop fronts or internals and for the odd window.
To be honest I would like to start up with Wfp and I am trying to work out a way to do it. I don't have a van and my only car is a company car, my situation may leave me relying on an electric bicycle with trailer (which i already own). My plan is to start up at the weekends at first, using a little giant ladder which fits in the trailer/ car. The main obstacle for wfp is access to pure water. There is a spotless station about 30 mins drive away. The water at my house rented is reading just under 300ppm. The plan is to start out traditional on the weekends and build up some extra income to invest in wfp.

To be honest I would like to start up with Wfp and I am trying to work out a way to do it. I don't have a van and my only car is a company car, my situation may leave me relying on an electric bicycle with trailer (which i already own). My plan is to start up at the weekends at first, using a little giant ladder which fits in the trailer/ car. The main obstacle for wfp is access to pure water. There is a spotless station about 30 mins drive away. The water at my house rented is reading just under 300ppm. The plan is to start out traditional on the weekends and build up some extra income to invest in wfp.
Have a look at this: Any female window cleaners on here?
@Beccy started out using a bike with a trailer doing wfp. She even used to take her child on occasions! So wfp can be done without a van or car!
I can see why you wouldn't want to use the company car for your business startup as that could lead to a world of trouble, insurance, personal use would be personal business use etc....
300TDS isn't too bad but it does rule out DI only.

Back