Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Solar panel cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I know its an old thread, but just wondered if any have done these from standing on a step ladder? Thing is ive said I'll do some tomorrow, and I know the slx 22 wont reach from ground, but should be ok from step ladder? I know its not ideal, as will be near on the top of the steps to get the panels at the top of the roof. Will just have to be steady. Also im just going to use pure water, ive heard this can be ok?

I wouldn't risk it mate, personally. 

They can take some scrubbing and there's no way a standard stepladder will be ideal for the job. 

You'll fall off, hurt yourself and you'll be off work for ages. They'll ring someone else up to do the job and it'll be done safely.

Let someone else have it, is my advice.

I wouldn't risk it mate, personally. 

They can take some scrubbing and there's no way a standard stepladder will be ideal for the job. 

You'll fall off, hurt yourself and you'll be off work for ages. They'll ring someone else up to do the job and it'll be done safely.

Let someone else have it, is my advice.
yeh your prob right. ive gotta go that way tomorrow anyway so will have a look, might be able to get a ladder footer. It was a bloke from a company, they're shut now, but I think I recall him saying something about some scaffolding up. that would be handy.

yeh your prob right. ive gotta go that way tomorrow anyway so will have a look, might be able to get a ladder footer. It was a bloke from a company, they're shut now, but I think I recall him saying something about some scaffolding up. that would be handy.

Definitely think of safety first. As you get more experienced, you learn which jobs to say no to and think nothing more of. 

You could always quote him a price to include scaffold tower hire and see what they say to that. Explain that safety all round is paramount i.e. emphasise that you'd hate for anything to happen to their property ? 

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Definitely think of safety first. As you get more experienced, you learn which jobs to say no to and think nothing more of. 

You could always quote him a price to include scaffold tower hire and see what they say to that. Explain that safety all round is paramount i.e. emphasise that you'd hate for anything to happen to their property ? 

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
I just typed reply to this but I hadnt signed in so its just vanished into nowhere. How annoying. Imagine if you'd typed one of those large hour long essays that some do, hadnt signed in, and so it was lost. design fault?

Anyway, yeh was ok, there was scaffolding up from where he'd had the company altering the panels. Couldnt have done it from the ground, too much bedded in lichen. 

ks789 said:
I just typed reply to this but I hadnt signed in so its just vanished into nowhere. How annoying. Imagine if you'd typed one of those large hour long essays that some do, hadnt signed in, and so it was lost. design fault?

Anyway, yeh was ok, there was scaffolding up from where he'd had the company altering the panels. Couldnt have done it from the ground, too much bedded in lichen. 
Also took quite a bit effort, underpriced it, £30 for a hard hour which if again would be £50 or so. Dont think could do a good job from the ground though.

Also took quite a bit effort, underpriced it, £30 for a hard hour which if again would be £50 or so. Dont think could do a good job from the ground though.

I think jobs jobs like this you need a minimum charge ours is now £65 for the first 16 panels then £3 per panel for any more , sorts  out the messers straight away 

Last edited by a moderator:
The only risk I see is more likely occurring if walking around roofs to clean them especially in winter, or the actual power control box for panels that some houses also have on the roofs. 

I use a ladder stay, ladder matrix and this way get clearance and am safe up the ladder. Always use pure but could basically hook a back pack upto a garden hose with an extra long amount of pole hose and get the same result. 

If you are thinking to clean solar panels by yourself then I would suggest you to be extremely careful as those are having a very complex mechanism that you don't want to mess while cleaning.
Yeh I just slapped the brush on the panels and scrubbed away. Couldnt see any complex mechanism.

Latest Posts

Back