Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

solar panel cleans def worth having done now?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ks789

Yes as per the title really.  With this massive increase in energy bills surely it makes definite sense for any custys with solar panels to keep them cleaned once or twice a year. One of mine looks like they've never been done, so I pointed this out to them. Not too fussed, but they are an easy batch, on garage roofs and so would be good for her and good for me.

Also on a side note, I do expect to lose a bit of custom over these expensive times, but not too much. I reckon the new nuclear station near us at Sizewell will def get the go ahead now, though will take many years before any power comes out of it.

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm remembering wrong, but I read somewhere that solar panels cleaned every six months have 15% more efficiency than non cleaned ones on average, and that the cost of cleaning often breaks even with the savings. That was a few years ago, maybe as you say its different now. 

Yes as per the title really.  With this massive increase in energy bills surely it makes definite sense for any custys with solar panels to keep them cleaned once or twice a year. One of mine looks like they've never been done, so I pointed this out to them. Not too fussed, but they are an easy batch, on garage roofs and so would be good for her and good for me.

Also on a side note, I do expect to lose a bit of custom over these expensive times, but not too much. I reckon the new nuclear station near us at Sizewell will def get the go ahead now, though will take many years before any power comes out of it.
Every 6 months or twice a year

I've already seen a flyer today with some company trying to scare home owners into regular monthly cleans thinking they can cash in on rising energy prices. Don't think they really understood the brief 

Most solar panels don’t get that dirty we have just done a load that have never been cleaned since new and they are 10 years old they had minimal dirt on them but loads of lichen this is very difficult to remove unless you know how to do it it always requires scaffolding or scaffold tower . We have cleaned tens of thousands of panels over the years but mainly only do  domestic now as there is very little money in it compared to window  Cleaning , access is usually an issue and you need a long very stiff pole to do  two storey houses from the ground . We now charge minimum of £100 for 16 panels if they are covered in lichen then it can be up to £1,000 + and solar Steve charges far more than this . I personally would not bother with them it’s very easy to drop a major clanger with pricing  and how long you think it will take , most are not straight forward to do , my advice would be just go carefully with pricing and look at the panels  close up before giving a price if covered in lichen unless you are experienced and know how to clean them safely and properly walk away as you will shoot yourself in the foot very quickly . Very few panels would need cleaning twice per year that was a sales gimic by solar Steve , unless of course they are on farm buildings and are getting covered in dust .

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe someone can correct me if I'm remembering wrong, but I read somewhere that solar panels cleaned every six months have 15% more efficiency than non cleaned ones on average, and that the cost of cleaning often breaks even with the savings. That was a few years ago, maybe as you say its different now. 
% age of increased efficiency after cleaning from my experience has had very mixed results some have seen no more output at all , other say 10-50 % more output but it’s very difficult to quantify as no two days weather are the same so I feel it’s virtually impossible to say . 

Latest Posts

Back