Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Staff and Rain days !

WCF

Help Support WCF:

anderclean

morning guys
wondered how you guys that employ get on with paying or not paying staff when it rains !?

we work in all weathers except 'heavy' rain (sub-zero, high winds)
but, if you had 2 or 3 or 5 or 6 of heavy rain days in a row, staff still have to earn something !!
maybe not full money, but they can't sit in the van all day (or even a few hours) for nothing
Our guys are paid a minimum daily amount + more (%) for exceeding targets
Need to put something in writing for our contracts
any help appreciated..

morning guys
wondered how you guys that employ get on with paying or not paying staff when it rains !?

but, if you had 2 or 3 or 5 or 6 of heavy rain days in a row, staff still have to earn something !!
maybe not full money, but they can't sit in the van all day (or even a few hours) for nothing
any help appreciated..
Probably get the same answers as on the other forum 😂

morning guys

any help appreciated..
It's illegal to pay less than minimum wage so no matter you put in a contract that's what you have to pay. You also can't change terms and conditions without agreement

You really need rain t&c in your contracts. If you don't have any details in your contracts and you want to add them then you need to get employees permission. An easy way is to give them a pay rise upon signing the new contract - I think that's legal but best to check. If you don't have an employment contract get it sorted asap as employees have more rights without a contracts.

@anderclean I know it's not the same but my old neighbour ran a tree surgery business and had a couple of lads working for him. If the weather was particularly bad or they hadn't much work on then he got them on tool maintenance, out delivering leaflets etc. He also had them on a smaller than full-time hours contract of about 25 hours a week, but then when they had more work on they were always pretty good and worked extra hours. I think he liked the 25 hours because it could be done over 3, 4 or 5 days etc depending on weather and the work commitments they had. They did usually do more than 25 hours anyway. I know with window cleaning there's a limit on what can be done if you're completely rained off for days on end, and you need staff that are flexible and understanding.

You really need rain t&c in your contracts. If you don't have any details in your contracts and you want to add them then you need to get employees permission. An easy way is to give them a pay rise upon signing the new contract - I think that's legal but best to check. If you don't have an employment contract get it sorted asap as employees have more rights without a contracts.
you can change a contract - you don't need workers permission - if its required for the business

Back