Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to pay staff in winter

WCF

Help Support WCF:

eddyl3000

Hi all, so I'm going to be taking staff on in the near future, thinking of paying them a set amount, by the day for their work and have them properly employed

I was thinking if it gets to winter and say there's a really bad week or two and we can't do some customers houses so let's say they have to skip two days, do you have any tips on how to deal with a situation like this

I'm assuming of course they would still be entitled to there usual monthly wage or would they not be? And ideally I'd want to make sure they always get there usual wage

Would I explain if there's a rain day we'll try make it up or they may lose their money for that day or what would happen?

Any bit of help is grately appreciated, I've tried to explain this the best I can ?

Thank you

You either employ them or you don’t with all the upsides and downsides involved. I have a labourer about 6-7months of the year equivalent and he set himself up as a sole trader and invoices me as a subcontractor. Keeps us legit without me employing. Have a couple of mates who also work for me on occasion on the same basis. Difficult to find someone willing to do that for long though.

Have you looked into zero hours contract? Bit of a dirty word but suits some people. Employers and employees.

What do you do if the weather is too bad to work in though? Do you still pay them their wage or what do you, because obviously work won't be getting done, do they still get their wage?

Thanks ?

What do you do if the weather is too bad to work in though? Do you still pay them their wage or what do you, because obviously work won't be getting done, do they still get their wage?

Thanks ?

Primarily a landscaper. I bought a couple of gazebos. ?? Generally we work whatever the weather, but if I’ve agreed work and for some reason through no fault of theirs we can’t work then I pay them. Generally there’s something to do even if it’s running for materials on the next job though.

Thanks ?
There are only really 2 ways, the subcontracting route is illegal if they only do your work, you can try this but if caught expect a large fine and back dated holiday pay etc. If you employ you could try the zero hours contract route and get people that are taking the job as they have to so don't expect good workers, or you can employ them on a decent 40 hour a week contract and state that where possible lost days are made up with weekend work. You will have to pay them though if you can't make up the hours.

There are only really 2 ways, the subcontracting route is illegal if they only do your work, you can try this but if caught expect a large fine and back dated holiday pay etc. If you employ you could try the zero hours contract route and get people that are taking the job as they have to so don't expect good workers, or you can employ them on a decent 40 hour a week contract and state that where possible lost days are made up with weekend work. You will have to pay them though if you can't make up the hours.
Thank you ?

You either employ them or you don’t with all the upsides and downsides involved. I have a labourer about 6-7months of the year equivalent and he set himself up as a sole trader and invoices me as a subcontractor. Keeps us legit without me employing. Have a couple of mates who also work for me on occasion on the same basis. Difficult to find someone willing to do that for long though.

Have you looked into zero hours contract? Bit of a dirty word but suits some people. Employers and employees.

I'd probably guess a few on here will have done similar in the past and I've done it too but strictly speaking I don't think it's legal. Its okay if the money that comes in is mostly cash but I don't think I'd chance it now with them all paying through banks.

When I worked for a company if you were rained off you didn't get paid. Even the people contracted to work 40 hours a week lost a day's pay if we were rained off. He did always give you the option, so it was up to you really.

I'd probably guess a few on here will have done similar in the past and I've done it too but strictly speaking I don't think it's legal. Its okay if the money that comes in is mostly cash but I don't think I'd chance it now with them all paying through banks.
Not sure. Accountant fine with it. He doesn’t fall foul of the pretending to be self employed but not as he’s a sole trader offering labour services. He consistently works between me and a couple of colleagues so he’s genuinely not tied to any of us. Own insurance etc etc.

I once worked with Balfour Beatty in the 80's and if you worked in the rain they paid you double the hourly rate. We used to call it rain money, I think they were under contract to get the hospital built on time. I guess that's long gone and that's the reason projects never finish on time. Ours always finished on time, we got paid double for a Sunday shift.

Not sure. Accountant fine with it. He doesn’t fall foul of the pretending to be self employed but not as he’s a sole trader offering labour services. He consistently works between me and a couple of colleagues so he’s genuinely not tied to any of us. Own insurance etc etc.

Can check there, itl be highly unlikely that its legit lol can he send someone else to do it? Would you be able to change the work that day ? Etc. Aslong as the guys okay with it then it's no big deal really

Latest Posts

Back