Starting A New Run

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by Barochan, Nov 3, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Barochan

Barochan Guest

Just started my business in a relatively new built estate in Scotland. Been reading lots on here and canvassed family, friends, neighbours etc. Problem is you guys in England seem to be able to make so much more perhouse than I can. For an average sized four bed semi the price seems to be around £6-£7, is this normal? If I quote more than this you can see the client visibly shudder.

Advice or guide prices most welcome. What do the Scottish members charge for terraced, semis and detached

Maybe I have my pricing all wrong.

Advertisement
  2. Dodger

Dodger Hero

No mate others on here have mentioned low prices in Scotland. Its not that much better in east Midlands to be honest.

3. mark m

mark m Hero

welcome to the forum , Mk will be on later he comes from Scotland so hopefully be able to give more advice

4. Barochan

Barochan Guest

Thanks Dodger. It seems prices and expectations are low. Is it normal practise to go in low, then in six months hike prices up, hoping customers won't switch

I am doing a good job and don't want to accept low income per house. I believe a good job is what customer wants along with honesty and reliability

5. OoO

OoO Guest

Was talking to Bruce on here a few days ago. We have dropped prices a smidge to get more compact work.

4 bed semi would be £14/15 ish maybe a bit less.

I was harping on about £10 minimum but i realised that was a mistake. I am looking close to £15 minimums and getting it now as come up with a clever plan ;) The key is in the frequency :D

6. OoO

OoO Guest

Oh and one more thing! Something i have only just learnt this year. Most customers do not care about costs, and to some extent the quailty. What really wins over customers is how regular you are. Ask a few customers whats important to them, i did this and you will be surprised. Quite a few said trust as well. You don't want the customers who only care about price!

7. Shinytime

Shinytime Active Member

Where abouts in Scotland are you?

8. johnny bravo

work it out in your takings per hour, if your making over £15 per hour or more , you arent far wrong. dont get too greedy, you could loose a lot if someone else decides to canvas with lower prices. a lot of window cleaners would NOT pay their prices for there own house. imagine someone knocking on the door asking for £15 as they have cleaned your windows. canvassing does loose you customers if you overcharge, once the customers trust you they will stick with you. its all a learning curve.

9. james81

james81 Member

Bedfordshire here prices much better I would say, 2/3 bedroom semi £12. detached from £14 - £10 minimum terrace/bungalow, I can charge £5 premium on all first cleans too :) - just done a 3hr pub clean Friday landlord said he thought it would be more for in & out I charged him £60!!! (+ 1 coke, 1 Beer, packet of nuts & a packet of crisps!)

10. John B

John B Active Member

Welcome to the forum.

I moved to Ireland and started up again from scratch just over two years ago, and I have found the culture very different to the UK.

I charge around 12-15 euros (approx £10.20 - £12.75) for a 3 bedroom house, which is around the average for my area (South West). Before the recession hit it apparently was not uncommon to charge the equivalent of £20 - £ 25 for the same properties! The difference here is that not too many people want to see you more than 3-4 times a year, although I do now have a core of regular monthly/bi-monthly customers, as well as a handful of small shops which are done weekly or fortnightly.

The key is flexibility. If you are finding that people are taking sharp intakes of breath over the price, could you maybe consider extending the frequency slightly, say to 6 or 8 weekly. The price you are charging may well be the going rate, as it does depend on where you are and the local economic conditions. However, if you do a good job, are honest and reliable, you will soon have your foot in the door and work will start finding you when your happy customers spread the word.

Oh, I almost forgot, you may already have this covered, but did you know that in Scotland I believe you have to be licensed?

Best wishes,
    John

Advertisement