Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Still struggling to get customers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dont miss ones with clean Windows you may offer add ons there windy doesn't. They may have just bought house/ there cleaner could have just given up or become unreliable. Don't assume
Theres no wrong way to go about it, but I tend to disagree with that with regards to getting a round going. The % of houses that take you on that have clean windows is very low, it happens but not often. IMHO if you are looking to get a decent amount of work quickly, target the houses that clearly need  you.  Experience tells you which houses have a windie, top of frame etc. If time is no obstacle and you’re prepared to hear no I’ve already got a windie 99% then  knock on every house regardless. Personally I’ve found I get almost the exact yield from a road in a fraction of the time, by being selective as I did when I knocked on every door.

I even made a little pitch and putt golf course on that lawn, only three holes but still.  It was great sitting out there in the summer with relatives and friends from work drinking and the odd BBQ on my one day off a week.  My neighbour from three doors down had the same size garden, his was a total tip to be honest.  Every so often I would see local landscaping folk knock his door asking him if he wanted his garden doing.  Usually I was in my garden with my poxy little Flymo, sometimes I would get a "You don't want a job working for us do you" or a "you're doing a good job there mate" comment. They never quoted me on doing my lawn though, which is a shame, cause I hated that lawn.

I had the same problem last year it was a nightmare. Even when someone was interested I found people only wanted to pay peanuts. But I stuck to my guns and prices trying different areas and now I have a good customer base not all that compact but still making very good money a hour. So just keep at it it will come eventually 

Theres no wrong way to go about it, but I tend to disagree with that with regards to getting a round going. The % of houses that take you on that have clean windows is very low, it happens but not often. IMHO if you are looking to get a decent amount of work quickly, target the houses that clearly need  you.  Experience tells you which houses have a windie, top of frame etc. If time is no obstacle and you’re prepared to hear no I’ve already got a windie 99% then  knock on every house regardless. Personally I’ve found I get almost the exact yield from a road in a fraction of the time, by being selective as I did when I knocked on every door.

I don't canvass anymore as I have a full round. However I suggest you do knock on doors where they have clean windows (as well as those with dirty windows) for the following reasons:

• You might get a 'Yes'. If they are doing it themselves they might actually hate doing the job & be looking for a new window cleaner. If they like clean windows they will probably turn out to be a good regular customer so you won't get what we all sometimes hear - "not this time, thanks..."
  • If they already have a window cleaner you can get some inside information. Who is their window cleaner? Which other houses in the road does he clean? Which houses doesn't he clean? My daughter/sister/mother in law is looking for a WC in a different area in town - can you clean their windows? Also if their window cleaner starts becoming unreliable or packs in the job in you'll be first in line....
  • Also those with dirty windows often don't care about windows being clean. If they decide to try you out you might spend a long time getting them up to standard & then they decide they don't want you anymore...

I’ve been running window cleaning business for about 20 years and the best way is to knock doors do not put leaflets through they do not work just keep knocking doors takes a long time to build you’ve got to go to work then you got to go canvassing at night can take a few years to get around that is worth keeping and it’s about technique when you are at the doors takes time to learn but you will master it canvassing is one the reasons why I have been window cleaning  for 20 years don’t wanna blow my own trumpet but I am very good at it

I’ve been running window cleaning business for about 20 years and the best way is to knock doors do not put leaflets through they do not work just keep knocking doors takes a long time to build you’ve got to go to work then you got to go canvassing at night can take a few years to get around that is worth keeping and it’s about technique when you are at the doors takes time to learn but you will master it canvassing is one the reasons why I have been window cleaning  for 20 years don’t wanna blow my own trumpet but I am very good at it
This post is over two years old 

Latest Posts

Back