Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Stupid season

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Beeejayteee

Is it me or is it stupid season for customers? Last month had an old customer ring up , my wife answered as I was collecting, to accuse me of not doing her conservatory this time and the last time. I went to see her and I knew exactly what to expect. I took a scrim with me. She took me inside and pointed to the mess on the windows. I went and got a damp cloth from her kitchen and proceeded to make a port hole through the filth on the inside of the glass. No apology for messing me around and accusing me of not doing the job and complained about using the pole!! DROPPED!!!
Last week a long term customer stopped me from cleaning their windows anymore because I had made their 25 year old double glazed top unit start to steam up inside!!! Despite my efforts to convince them it had nothing to do with me they would not listen. The world's gone mad!! 🤯🤯

Is it me or is it stupid season for customers? Last month had an old customer ring up , my wife answered as I was collecting, to accuse me of not doing her conservatory this time and the last time. I went to see her and I knew exactly what to expect. I took a scrim with me. She took me inside and pointed to the mess on the windows. I went and got a damp cloth from her kitchen and proceeded to make a port hole through the filth on the inside of the glass. No apology for messing me around and accusing me of not doing the job and complained about using the pole!! DROPPED!!!
Last week a long term customer stopped me from cleaning their windows anymore because I had made their 25 year old double glazed top unit start to steam up inside!!! Despite my efforts to convince them it had nothing to do with me they would not listen. The world's gone mad!! 🤯🤯

We all get them from time to time. Hence, my NASA response on another thread. "If I could clean the inside of your glass from the outside, I wouldn't be cleaning your windows; I'd be working for NASA on the space program."

If they ask you to start cleaning their windows again after you have dumped them, you're working for NASA now. 😅

The misted up windows also come up from time to time. We had an old lady accuse us of damaging her window with our pressure washer. Wouldn't pay for the clean. So we parted ways. About 3 years later, she asked me again to clean her windows. I refused. She knew who I was and how much I charged 3 years previously, but she had no memory of her accusing me of causing damage to her still blown window. She begged, but I just stuck to my guns.

She's no longer with us now.

Last edited:
Best to dump and move on

i had last year he said o your window system did not do a good job last time ill show you turns out it was bog role on the inside stuck to the window but give him his due he apologised and still clean his windows

We ve all had customers like these...they usually apologise if the dirts on the inside...

I'm afraid WFP will make blown seal windows worse so they do have a point.just keep calm and offer to take them back on when they've replaced the glass or miss that one out for now.

We ve all had customers like these...they usually apologise if the dirts on the inside...

I'm afraid WFP will make blown seal windows worse so they do have a point.just keep calm and offer to take them back on when they've replaced the glass or miss that one out for now.
How will it make blown windows worse ?

Once the seal has gone there will be a pinhole somewhere in the seal where moisture can get in. When we apply our water directly to the glass and frames and that water finds the pinhole then some of it may gain access to the inside of the unit making the misting worse.

However, wfp will not generally be the cause of the seals failing. That is usually caused by the sealant breaking down over time. That can be accelerated by where the window is situated in the house. Those that break down the quickest are usually those on south facing walls due to the longer exposure to the sun (when we get it).

Once the seal has gone there will be a pinhole somewhere in the seal where moisture can get in. When we apply our water directly to the glass and frames and that water finds the pinhole then some of it may gain access to the inside of the unit making the misting worse.

However, wfp will not generally be the cause of the seals failing. That is usually caused by the sealant breaking down over time. That can be accelerated by where the window is situated in the house. Those that break down the quickest are usually those on south facing walls due to the longer exposure to the sun (when we get it).
Exactly.

Also, if the glass and the air in the gap is warm, us washing the window cools the glass and that air in the gap down a little. When this happens outside air is drawn into the gap through the pinhole. A blown window actually breathes with changing temperature. When cooling, any moisture in the incoming air will be deposited between the glass and accumulate down at the bottom.

So as @Pjj says, we haven't caused the problem but we add to it each time we clean the window.

If a customer mentions it, I just tell her/him
its like frosted glass and adds to their privacy. Just now they won't need to bother to draw the curtains. 😅

We bought our house 24 years ago. The previous owners had new window installed a couple of years previously. The upstairs east facing windows were all blown. Those windows had never been cleaned with the pole as their window cleaner was trad. It was him and myself who introduced wfp into our area in 2004. We were the only wfp cleaners for a couple of years.

I just tell them as it rains on average 2 days a week 52 weeks of the year, a litre or so of water from me is nothing compared to the amount of rain that hits the window,

My house, the windows are 18 years old and only the smallest of one of the panes has an intermittent issue that issue will still be there when I go out in a wooden box 🤣

I just tell them as it rains on average 2 days a week 52 weeks of the year, a litre or so of water from me is nothing compared to the amount of rain that hits the window,

My house, the windows are 18 years old and only the smallest of one of the panes has an intermittent issue that issue will still be there when I go out in a wooden box 🤣
Our front door glass and the side panel glass next to the front door have misted up double glazing. It doesn't bother me, however, it bothers the wife.

Usually I blame the hot weather on silly behaviour, but last week a customer on her second clean (outside and inside done first time) "when you left last time I was a bit disappointed with the kitchen window, it was quite smeary". I apologised, went in an checked and it's a blown seal that I had already explained last time. Window inside was spotless. Another one due their second clean later this week sends a message today "the weather isn't supposed to be good this week, come next week". The weather is bad today but supposed to be ok rest of the week 🤷 (which all the forecasts say). On the first clean it was the usual red flags "we've had window cleaners before but they don't come back" 🙄. Luckily usually outweighed by decent customers most of the time.

Usually I blame the hot weather on silly behaviour, but last week a customer on her second clean (outside and inside done first time) "when you left last time I was a bit disappointed with the kitchen window, it was quite smeary". I apologised, went in a checked and it's a blown seal that I had already explained last time. Window inside was spotless. Another one due their second clean later this week sends a message today "the weather isn't supposed to be good this week, come next week". The weather is bad today but supposed to be ok rest of the week 🤷 (which all the forecasts say). On the first clean it was the usual red flags "we've had window cleaners before but they don't come back" 🙄. Luckily usually outweighed by decent customers most of the time.
I had a guy years ago had 3 cleans due the 4th saw him in town I said o I’m due later today he said leve it this week as it’s going to rain so I left it 🤣 then saw him week later he said are you coming this week I said no as I’ve finished your area so will be in few months he said okay next time I was due forecast rain that week so I didn’t bother calling in then 2 months later same again rain that week so left it 3 rd time 😂 he saw me in town so I explained you said you didn’t want them if raining that week he said but there filfy I said well I’m just following your orders 😂 he said so can you do them I said well as you missed 2 cleans in a row I had to replace you for someone more reliable 🤣

Usually I blame the hot weather on silly behaviour, but last week a customer on her second clean (outside and inside done first time) "when you left last time I was a bit disappointed with the kitchen window, it was quite smeary". I apologised, went in an checked and it's a blown seal that I had already explained last time. Window inside was spotless. Another one due their second clean later this week sends a message today "the weather isn't supposed to be good this week, come next week". The weather is bad today but supposed to be ok rest of the week 🤷 (which all the forecasts say). On the first clean it was the usual red flags "we've had window cleaners before but they don't come back" 🙄. Luckily usually outweighed by decent customers most of the time.

Instant dump every time if they say 'don't bother because it's forecast bad for this week'....they have to fit into my schedule not the other way round...besides I work in all but the worst of weather all year round 👍🙂

Instant dump every time if they say 'don't bother because it's forecast bad for this week'....they have to fit into my schedule not the other way round...besides I work in all but the worst of weather all year round 👍🙂
@dazmond I'm the same mate I work in most weathers. I haven't checked what I have on next week (my son has been a bit poorly so I'm on a bit of a catch up), but i doubt I'll go even if it's quieter for me because it will just become a habit with them. They're an old couple who fight like cat and dog so it was a bit embarrassing listening to them shouting anyway. Then the wonder why they can't get anyone to do any work for them 🤦

@dazmond I'm the same mate I work in most weathers. I haven't checked what I have on next week (my son has been a bit poorly so I'm on a bit of a catch up), but i doubt I'll go even if it's quieter for me because it will just become a habit with them. They're an old couple who fight like cat and dog so it was a bit embarrassing listening to them shouting anyway. Then the wonder why they can't get anyone to do any work for them 🤦

It's not a valid excuse mate.its lame.if it's because of building work etc then I would just skip until next clean or fit them in another day.

Your running a business and your not a fair weather cleaner....burn this into the consciousness of every one of your customers!👍😂

To be honest when we get that driving heavy rain its at least as much as coming out of the pole. So I accept no blame at all for any misting up/water inside glazing. Ones that have that issue, I make sure the water goes just on the glass. Lost a customer before coz of it even though the windows in question were long blown. One ive seen, downstairs from a flat I do has about 6 or more inches deep of water! Me and the customer above joke they could keep goldfish in it. But anyway, it got that from rain, not wfp, and I doubt I could do that with wfp if I tried.

Latest Posts

Back