Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Submersible pump

WCF

Help Support WCF:

CHWS

After my biggest days pay to date of course something has to go wrong….

My submersible pump I use to transfer the water from the ibc is just making a buzzing sound when I turn it on.

I take it it’s served it’s purpose and time for a new one ?

If it's buzzing it could be that the impeller is somehow stuck. I would whip it out and see if I could get to the impeller and see if it spins. Then again I have the luxury of a screwfix within 300 meters of home so I have a bit more time to play before they shut.
Also disconnect the delivery hose and see if it spins up properly just in case the delivery pipe has collapsed inside or kinked.

I’m just back from screwfix, I will get a hoak at the old pump and if I can get it going I’ll keep it for a spare ??

After my biggest days pay to date of course something has to go wrong….

My submersible pump I use to transfer the water from the ibc is just making a buzzing sound when I turn it on.

I take it it’s served it’s purpose and time for a new one ?

I’m just back from screwfix, I will get a hoak at the old pump and if I can get it going I’ll keep it for a spare ??
i feel for you, its always when things are going right something, is going to break.

In that case, have you tried just bumping it up and down inside the tank to see if it will kick in and start pumping the water anything is worth a try @ched999uk or @spruce might offer better advice
There are some things that are financially worth fixing and other that aren't @CHWS . Honestly, a submersible pump just isn't that expensive to buy new.

Yes, I would also give the old one a look over for interest’s sake, but even if you do get it working again, how long before it fails again? These pumps are sealed to prevent water ingress into the electrics. Pretty certain if you tried to open it up to take a look, you will never get it to seal again. Usually, an electric motor that hums and refuses to start is due to a faulty starter capacitor.

My watch is waterproof to 50 meters. When they changed the battery once, they told me it's not guaranteed to be waterproof any longer. I'm not going to test it and see if the jeweller is correct or not! ?

@ched999uk & @spruce somewhat more intelligent answers than mine ?
No, not at all. I would imagine the motor isn't brushless, so there is a chance that a bump could get it going again if the problem was a sticking carbon brush. It was a trick we used in the motor trade to get a car's starter motor going, but it didn't usually work for long.

No, not at all. I would imagine the motor isn't brushless, so there is a chance that a bump could get it going again if the problem was a sticking carbon brush. It was a trick we used in the motor trade to get a car's starter motor going, but it didn't usually work for long.
I'm not so thick after all ?

No fractures apparently, the vet has been shocking in letting us know what’s happening. Apparently spinal nerve damage and they are waiting to see if she can go to the toilet herself ??‍♂️
Picked up my new dog last year.
It has no legs and I’ve named him cigarette.
Every morning I take him out for a drag ?

Back