Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Swivel vs Fixed Gooseneck question

• Thread starter Deleted member 5762
  • Start date
WCF

Help Support WCF:

D

Deleted member 5762

I posted briefly before about I had gone back to a fixed gooseneck after getting some arm/shoulder pain when using wfp (it was a tip on an old Squeaky Clean Dave video). My new SLX arrived the other week so I've carried either using the fixed gooseneck, or if it's a day where the swivel is needed I've tightened it up quite a bit (although it wasn't very loose before anyway) and it only swivels slightly with a bit of pressure applied (like if I'm in a tight spot and need the pole at an angle). I just wondered if anyone on here has their swivel quite loose or similar? because I've found it quite a bit easier with the brush being fixed most of the time. I can only assume it's because your grip and arm position changes about a bit if the swivel gooseneck is on.

I posted briefly before about I had gone back to a fixed gooseneck after getting some arm/shoulder pain when using wfp (it was a tip on an old Squeaky Clean Dave video). My new SLX arrived the other week so I've carried either using the fixed gooseneck, or if it's a day where the swivel is needed I've tightened it up quite a bit (although it wasn't very loose before anyway) and it only swivels slightly with a bit of pressure applied (like if I'm in a tight spot and need the pole at an angle). I just wondered if anyone on here has their swivel quite loose or similar? because I've found it quite a bit easier with the brush being fixed most of the time. I can only assume it's because your grip and arm position changes about a bit if the swivel gooseneck is on.

I have a brush with a swivel fitted to it. It only gets used for one job now. The rest of the time I use the brush with a fixed brush holder.

I found the opposite. Adding the swivel reduced my shoulder issues. I have it tight enough that it will only swivel if it’s on the window, when they loosen up and start flopping about you can end up straining to get the brush into position.
I think there is a balance to be struck I don't have mine too loose but loose enough that it swivels very easily without the need to exert any pressure to get it to swivel.

I have a brush with a swivel fitted to it. It only gets used for one job now.

I love the swivel for large amounts of large groundlevel windows:
Use a loose swivel, 35cm brush, angle adapter at zero degrees, high waterflow, brush orientation vertical. Keep the weight of the pole and brush balanced in between two hands. You are now your able to ‘swipe’ large windows from left to right very easy. Swiping this way, in stead of constantly moving up and down, requires a lot less from your shoulders. Works especially well on ground level windows.

I've used a swivel with my brush for so long now, trying to work without one is like trying to use a regular squeegee with fused wrist.
The only time I don't use one is when doing fsg cleans with a water through pad, although even then sometimes I can get to places with a swivel attached that I can't with a fixed setup; so I have one pad with a swivel and one without.

I find using the swivel very useful for those upstairs windows you have to approach side on because of conservatory/extension/bushes etc. I struggle to reach the frames and corners properly otherwise.

I use a fairly loose swivel, and a 35cm brush. No shoulder issues so far.

Latest Posts

Back