tank in transit van

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by bluemonkey, Feb 18, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

am thinking of fittting a 650 tank i have in back yard in to van, where is best place in the transit, bulk head, back door, over the back wheels, or middle of the floor

Advertisement
  2. windyman

windyman Well-Known Member

Personally I'd probably put it at the bulk head. Whatever you do tho make sure it's in the centre, not to one side of van.

3. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

Assuming it is a 'flat' tank, as opposed to an upright one, close to the bulkhead is the best place, esp if it is a fwd transit (260, 280 & 300). In a fwd van, putting the tank too far back can lead to traction and steering problems, esp in wet or wintery conditions!. Even if a rwd van, that can also cause problems if the tank is approaching the maximum payload, as putting it too far back will place to much weight on the back axle leading to potential failure (not to mention, the above steering issues). If it is an upright tank it will have a much smaller footprint, so putting it next to the bulkhead may result in too much weight on the front axle if medium or long wheelbase, so in this case try to position it as close to the centre of the wheelbase as possible. And as windyman says, make sure it is in the centre of the van, not offset to one side.

4. James

James Guru

Bulkhead mate and make sure it's central that is vital. How big is your transit? Connect or one of the bigger ones?

James.

5. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

its a short wheel base, but if i fit it there, cant use the side door with out boxing the tank in, so i can fit the reel on top of tmight just he tank, stick to my 400 tank

6. badbusdriver

badbusdriver Guest

You have not said if it is a transit, or transit connect, but working on the assumption that i dont think you would physically fit a 650l tank in a swb connect, i'm guessing it is a standard transit. A wfp windy pal of mine uses a flat 650l tank in his swb vw transporter (about the same size as a standard transit) which i helped set up. Despite my trying to persuade him to put the tank next to the bulkhead for the above reasons, he insisted that he needed 2 hose reels, one of which would be at the side door, and the other at the back doors. So his tank sits about 3 or 4 feet behind the bulkhead. Now you could try this, but i stand by what i said earlier that i dont think its a good idea, especially with a 650l tank. But if, like him, you really feel you need a reel at the side door, you could have some kind of frame on top of the tank with a reel mounted on it.
    What im not quite sure about though, is if you feel you dont need 650l (you mention sticking with your 400l), then why use it at all?, it will affect the mpg, handling, and life of things like the brakes and bearings (albeit, not by much).

7. bluemonkey

bluemonkey Guru

sorry its a swb transit,

Advertisement