Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What is your policy when you are unable to access the back?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Soul1

I couldn’t find an answer with search bar. What is your policy when you are unable to access the back? For example, if the owner left no unlocked access and is not home, do you charge the full price for cleaning just the front? I thought about reducing the price for front only, but I’m not sure if I can set it up to work with the squeegee app.

Last edited:
I couldn’t find an answer with search bar. What is your policy when you are unable to access the back? For example, if the owner left no unlocked access and is not home, do you charge the full price for cleaning just the front?
If you decide to charge only the front at that time, customers will get use to it. Then, from time to time, if they want to save some money, they will keep it locked purposely. My wife has a cleaning company with two girls. If any of the customers for any reason do not leave the key in the box, who's gonna pay them. My wife?

If you decide to charge only the front at that time, customers will get use to it. Then, from time to time, if they want to save some money, they will keep it locked purposely.
I thought it was risky, so the best option is to inform them in advance that the full price will be charged

I'd charge them my minumum charge, mines is £7, if its a £9 house its still getting charged £7.

It wouldn't be a bad idea when getting customers that a quick text with your terms. Then everyone knows where they stand

Given current experience, I have a few who are prolific gate forgetters. Going to be changing Terms of Service with my next price rise (next month) to include charging full price if the gate is locked even though I've text the day before.

I couldn’t find an answer with search bar. What is your policy when you are unable to access the back? For example, if the owner left no unlocked access and is not home, do you charge the full price for cleaning just the front? I thought about reducing the price for front only, but I’m not sure if I can set it up to work with the squeegee app.
We only take on jobs with access issues if we have keys or a lock code , no keys no work done . We do however have a few Victorian terraced houses that we do fronts only on at a very good price

This needs to be addressed at quote time and in writing. I doubt many people will accept full price for front only

I'd say charge less for fro t but just enough so you feel 1. its a wasted trip 2. Money short charge say if house is £12 id charge £9 for front and if they left back for a while id half the price of a first clean

This needs to be addressed at quote time and in writing. I doubt many people will accept full price for front only
I have no issue charging full price they are given a link to the info page on my website, one job, in particular, forgets 50% of the time despite getting a text she has been getting charged full price for the last 7 years and probably only had the backs done for half of those cleans

So, as regards the Squeegee app, you need to do it manually. Go into the job for that day and select the price. Change it and it will ask you ‘update all or just this one’ and select ‘just this one’.

Personally I do both. If it’s a house I’ve driven out to, they’re getting charged full price. But if I’m already in the street, I need to ask myself what is better. Charging full price & potentially losing the customer, or just doing the job for the reduced rate. Most times it’s just worth doing the job, as it’s still money in my pocket. Again, that’s only if I am doing the neighbours already, though.

The main thing, which is still not mentioned here, is that you have to text them evening before to keep the gate open. That's the key point (plus charging if they forget). In this way there is no or little chance they forget. I have one lady, which constantly forget too, and she paid four times in a row full price - 20 instead of 10 for the front only. Her windows at the back were in the condition after 24 weeks. So extra time spent cleaning them was paid in advance actually.

So, as regards the Squeegee app, you need to do it manually. Go into the job for that day and select the price. Change it and it will ask you ‘update all or just this one’ and select ‘just this one’.

Personally I do both. If it’s a house I’ve driven out to, they’re getting charged full price. But if I’m already in the street, I need to ask myself what is better. Charging full price & potentially losing the customer, or just doing the job for the reduced rate. Most times it’s just worth doing the job, as it’s still money in my pocket. Again, that’s only if I am doing the neighbours already, though.
Thanks for the Squeegee app!

Back