Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

TAX....BOO. THE BORING BIT

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Becoming Ltd is beneficial for ta reasons once you are earning above £30k per annum. 

Regarding the van (check with accountant) if it's on HP you can claim full whack year one. If it's on lease hire then only the monthly payments.   
Sorry to disagree but you're not better off being Limited. As of next year you are only allowed £2k as a tax free dividend. This doesn't cover the tax free allowances you get without the Companies NI contributions. 

Just remember....

Jesus lived near the sea. He spent a lot of time fishing, preaching, and ate fish. Mohammad lived on a mountain, farmed goats and married an 8 year old...

And that is the difference between gross profit and net profit.
And the difference between Jesus and Mohammed?  

One taught peace and love and was persecuted, the other waged war and persecuted others.......

I know which one I'd rather follow. If it's not too early everyone, Happy Christmas ?

Sorry to disagree but you're not better off being Limited. As of next year you are only allowed £2k as a tax free dividend. This doesn't cover the tax free allowances you get without the Companies NI contributions. 
My accountant told me this earlier this year and said as a sole trader it's pointless as by the time you also add up additional accounting charges it wouldn't be any more tax efficient or reduce one's tax liability. Although I think he said the changes from 5k to 2k dividend came in as of this current tax year 

My accountant told me this earlier this year and said as a sole trader it's pointless as by the time you also add up additional accounting charges it wouldn't be any more tax efficient or reduce one's tax liability. Although I think he said the changes from 5k to 2k dividend came in as of this current tax year 
I had a meeting with an accountant earlier this year and he also said the same. There are other benefits from becoming ltd but for me in my circumstances it’s pointless. Also if I was ltd I wouldn’t be able to do my accounting by cash basis using the simplified accounting scheme.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

The tax free dividend isn't the only benefit of being limited, there is no need to pay NI from a limited company. You can take a wage for yourself and your wife of £788 each month (Thats £788 each) without paying any tax or NI. If you are both directors you are entitled to a further £2k each as a dividend. Then there are all the things you can legitimately claim for.... Without us drilling into wether or not you can claim trainers etc lets just agree there are things that can be claimed.

There are other benefits to being limited also. If you go to get a mortgage you can use the value of the business to assist in proving your income.... There will be a lot I don't know.

I think green is right... to an extent. My accountant advised me that I was better of as a sole trader until I reached £40k. I assume this is because of the recent changes. The extra cost involved with submitting confirmation statements and company accounts are on top of your own tax return. Most accountants will be in the region of £1k a year for a limited company, just a couple of hundred to check and submit your personal tax return.

Earning £788 a month is nearly £200 less than your allowance. The taxman has worked out what the likes of me have been doing for nigh on the last 20 years. Your Wife can become a partner in your sole trader setup, becoming a Partnership and if she isn't working elsewhere she can take the full £11850 annual allowance. The only time it will be beneficial to be Ltd is if they drop Corporation Tax to below 20% or you start getting up to 40% tax 

Earning £788 a month is nearly £200 less than your allowance. The taxman has worked out what the likes of me have been doing for nigh on the last 20 years. Your Wife can become a partner in your sole trader setup, becoming a Partnership and if she isn't working elsewhere she can take the full £11850 annual allowance. The only time it will be beneficial to be Ltd is if they drop Corporation Tax to below 20% or you start getting up to 40% tax 
£788 means you don't pay any NI or tax. It's a strategy a friend of mine who works in IT uses, I discussed it with my accountant and he said it is the system most people with a limited business try to use as long as the household budget can stick within those parameters without relying on dividends. My wife has her own business so this is useless to me but it's good to know you can make someone a partner in a sole trader setup. Can you register your company without going limited? I have a good business name and I'd be keen to ensure no one else could just start using it locally if that makes sense.

£788 means you don't pay any NI or tax. It's a strategy a friend of mine who works in IT uses, I discussed it with my accountant and he said it is the system most people with a limited business try to use as long as the household budget can stick within those parameters without relying on dividends. My wife has her own business so this is useless to me but it's good to know you can make someone a partner in a sole trader setup. Can you register your company without going limited? I have a good business name and I'd be keen to ensure no one else could just start using it locally if that makes sense.
I've been Limited, don't say very Mr Garwood, since 1999,  but unless you're earning elsewhere you're not using your £11850 tax allowance, only £9456. I don't know for certain but I don't think you can use the rest up when you declare the dividend, if you can't you are losing £500 in tax, as you aren't using £2394 of your tax allowance. I think you would need this clarifying with your Accountant. You can trade under whatever you like as long as the relevant authorities are informed. You can't however register a company name without going limited, I think.   

I've been Limited, don't say very Mr Garwood, since 1999,  but unless you're earning elsewhere you're not using your £11850 tax allowance, only £9456. I don't know for certain but I don't think you can use the rest up when you declare the dividend, if you can't you are losing £500 in tax, as you aren't using £2394 of your tax allowance. I think you would need this clarifying with your Accountant. You can trade under whatever you like as long as the relevant authorities are informed. You can't however register a company name without going limited, I think.   
Haha I was still in school the PT. I reckon Garwood was well before you. I heard his National insurance number was 4. I thought that was the case, Scotland seems to have different rules about company names... Surprised Scottish didn't pipe up. 

Feel guilty, i'm scanning the receipt for my trainers into Quickbooks as we speak ? I might snap a picture of the state of them to go with the receipt to show the tax man if he ever asks ?
Why feel guilty.. I love my trainers and have more pairs than I can count off the top of my head.. mr hmrc pays for all of them?

Nothing wrong with air max for work??

Becoming Ltd is beneficial for ta reasons once you are earning above £30k per annum. 

Regarding the van (check with accountant) if it's on HP you can claim full whack year one. If it's on lease hire then only the monthly payments.   
Like the sounds of that....I'm going to plan and see an accountant very shortly.. thanks

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I didn' know airmax made steeltoecapped trainers?
I don't wear steels lol

Trainers if dry and army boots if wet and cold

End of the day I can buy any clothes I want and say they are for work.. best dressed windie around?

Had me skinny jeans and nice jumper on today as it was chilly

Last edited by a moderator:
Back