Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First clean.. Frames sills etc

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Smudge88

Afternoon all,

Building a round from nothing means there is a lot of first time cleans. The area i am working seems to of had very little if any window cleaning activity, think this is due to most of the properties have one or 2 awkward windows to reach due to porches etc.

Can we get some tips on frame cleaning?

E.g

Materials and cleaning solutions you use.

I have done 4 so far;

- Brush to wipe dust, dirt and cobs away.

- Sponge and washing up liquid to wipe light grime.

- Cream cleaner and a cloth to work the dirt to surface.

- Microfiber sill cloth to buff off.

- Final clean with minimal detail as possible.

I have noticed that these jobs often have stubborn dirt on the glass, little spots and bird poop. I have a standard 1" scrapper but seems to take a while to get spotless.

As standard practice on all first cleans would it be better to get a 4" scrapper, wet the window and scrape the whole thing before cleaning?

Thoughts and suggestions please gents.

Sounds like you're putting a lot of effort into your first cleans Smudge, which isn't a bad thing if you're getting paid accordingly. How long are the first cleans taking you to do? I might be wrong but it sounds like you're doing restoration type cleaning. Nothing that you've said you do is wrong IMO. I bet the housewives love you :h:.Keep at it you hunky little devil you :hi:

Im pricing the first clean slightly higher due to the extra work. As i dont have lots of business at the moment im not in a rush to get jobs done.

You are right with the restoration comment. Anything i can put in a spray bottle and wipe the frames with that will do a good job without having to use cream cleaner?

I did a 3 bed terrace this morning, 2 doubles, 3 singles, 1 bay, front door, back door and patio doors.

Took me about 40 mins

£18.50 First Clean

£12.00 Routine Clean

Im hoping that putting the effort in will get them to refer me to others and also making routine cleans a breeze. Offered 10% off next wash if they refer.

Haha you have any stories to share regarding housewives? /emoticons/wink.png

Sounds a bit overboard to me mate. I used to do the same, but it's not a proffitable way to go about things. Now on the first clean I just get the glass good while getting the worst off the frames and sills. Then let the rain and weather do it's worst for a month before having another go. By the second clean they are spot on. Trying to get them perfect on the first will just slow you down too much imo. For customers that are loyal I will pull the cream cleaner out for the sills when I have time but I let them prove their worth first- nothing worse then restoring someone's windows when all they wanted was a spring clean.

Yeah that makes sense. When canvassing, if i get a first clean i usually get a date for a routine in the books aswell.

Think i will lay off the cream for now as i could of done it in half the time with a good cleaning solution and wipe down.

How does pricing look?

I can't see a pic on my phone mate, but basically I charge double for the first clean. Only exceptions are if they have just lost a regular windy, or they look clean already.

creme cleaner on a sopping wet piece of bath towel works for me, usually will bring up the dullest plastic frame to a shine

I did this vid a couple of weeks ago but you probably missed it

I use ubik2000 mixed with water for a new clean

This one isn't really dirty but ubik works well on the worst of them

[media]

[/media]

I go through phases

My ideal bodyweight according to the doctor is 12.5stone

When i am 14-14.5 stone it suits me best as i am big built anyway

12.5 stone and i look like i escaped from belson

I need to lose a stone to be back to normal

Myself I ran to the shops and came back totaly exhusted having carying the booze from the boot of me car :cheers:

I don't give a fig if I've got a fart **** as is a good conterbalance for me keg of a belly at the front /emoticons/biggrin.png

I like to be in shape

I have been training and eating the last few weeks like i did when I was boxing

But i can't keep off the beer which really doesn't help things

Crazy thing is if i was boxing now i am the same weight class as David Haye, lennox etc

I'm not quite that big lol

Oh well you can work it off cleaning windows instead if you work at bit harder. Trouble is I find it hard not to spill me pint with a squeege in the other hand whilst up me ladder. /emoticons/biggrin.png

I am busy now smurf but refusing to stop gaining more work

4 solid days a week and 1 bits and bobs day

Not been driving for my mate all week

Think them days are long gone now

I do get tempted to nip in the pub lunchtimes

Oh well you can work it off cleaning windows instead if you work at bit harder. Trouble is I find it hard not to spill me pint with a squeege in the other hand whilst up me ladder. /emoticons/biggrin.png

smudge88 I'm in the same situation starting a round, plenty of time to do first cleans as not a full round of customers. I think I need to put in some headphones with fast music as I'm at radio 4 pace atm. i figure the costumer will feel they are getting value but my hourly rate suffers. I've not been charging more for first cleans building a round, perhaps I've been missing out there. how manny customers are you picking up a week roughly?

I did this vid a couple of weeks ago but you probably missed itI use ubik2000 mixed with water for a new clean

This one isn't really dirty but ubik works well on the worst of them

[media]

I have only been doing the round on weekends and have only canvassed twice. I had 10 customers being neighbors/my estate and picked up another 3 this afternoon. These are all down for monthly cleans. Just waiting for a phone call to collect my flyers so i have something to hand potential customers know i am knocking on doors. ATM i'm handing them quotes in my shoddy handwriting.

I am aiming for 100 by the end of July.

Latest Posts

Back