Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First Clean taking me around 1 hour?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

One other thing to say is be aware that neighbours will be watching you! So always work on the basis you are being watched!
I've gained a few customers that live opposite or next door to some of my jobs as they watched me work and then asked me to quote! In fact had one today, first clean and part way through the front next door neighbour came out and asked me to clean her windows! Helps to keep things compact.

Thanks for that,

I don’t know if it’s the area I live or what but when my wife has told some of her friends and clients my prices they seem to think they’re outrageous and won’t book in because it’s ‘too much’, so I don’t even know how I’d ask for more for a first clean.

I charge £12 for a standard 3bed semi, so I don’t really think it’s that much.
Don't just canvass work in your area.find a much more affluent area close by(15-20min drive)if possible....

1.you can charge more
2.itll be much nicer to work in the leafy suburbs once you ve built up some work.
3.better customers overall(not all of them though!)

I agree with this. I don't know the area this house is in, but I would class it as a very scruffy council area judging by the junk pile and comparing it to some areas in Middlesbrough.
Tbh I wouldn't even be quoting in this area. I'm surprised that you could even get £12 for a 3 bed semi.

I get it that when you first start you are desperate to get every job you can, but sometimes this is a double edged sword. You don't want a whole lot of dross customers who are unreliable, so you need to be very selective from the getgo. This isn't easy and takes discipline.

What you need to say is this when quoting:

"Your windows are very dirty and will need a lot of work to get them clean. The initial cost is £20 and then £12 every 4 weeks or £15 every 8 weeks. Which cleaning schedule would suit you best? 4 weekly or 8 weekly."
Say this without giving the customer time to interrupt.

If that's too much them it's a no and time to move on. Your time is better spent looking for a better class of customer than waiting time with dross. Sorry.

We have villages not far from us where most people still expect a window clean to cost £5 for a 3 bed semi. We don't even go there now.
Do you do all of your quotes in person? I’ve had all my customers text or message on Facebook and 0 calls so far. Would it be better to say I’ll come out and give you a quote rather than doing it back over messenger etc?

Do you do all of your quotes in person? I’ve had all my customers text or message on Facebook and 0 calls so far. Would it be better to say I’ll come out and give you a quote rather than doing it back over messenger etc?
Unless you are there in person, you can't see what the job entails. Someone once asked for a quote on the street I was working. It's exactly the same as this house you are cleaning. I have a look when I get there and give you a price, I said. When I got there it was totally different, and she forgot to mention the extension they had done at the back and a conservatory.

I think there are a couple of advantages to going to see the job. First you find out how bad the windows are, you find out about access (plant pots all over the place, dog mess, can you reach all the windows with your kit. Then you have the customer interaction, they get to see you are professional looking (uniform, sign written van etc), you can explain how you work (not just nice sunny days but 12 months of the year), you can explain wfp and glass will be wet etc. You can also ask if they want regular clean or one off before giving them the price! After giving them the price I ask would they like me to book them in, some say I will chat to partner and get back (some do some don't) some just say that's great when can you do it.....
You will get the 'my old windy charged £2' type customers but I explain that at £2 the old windy didn't see it as a financially viable job hence he/she didn't come back and I will do a good job, be reliable, be contactable and text the night before a clean. If they quibble on price just say that you use a formula on prices so it's fair to everyone so that's my price (I wrote a little app to help me price - use MIT app creator - just a glorified calculator really) . Leave them with a written quote and it's up to them.

I think there are a couple of advantages to going to see the job. First you find out how bad the windows are, you find out about access (plant pots all over the place, dog mess, can you reach all the windows with your kit. Then you have the customer interaction, they get to see you are professional looking (uniform, sign written van etc), you can explain how you work (not just nice sunny days but 12 months of the year), you can explain wfp and glass will be wet etc. You can also ask if they want regular clean or one off before giving them the price! After giving them the price I ask would they like me to book them in, some say I will chat to partner and get back (some do some don't) some just say that's great when can you do it.....
You will get the 'my old windy charged £2' type customers but I explain that at £2 the old windy didn't see it as a financially viable job hence he/she didn't come back and I will do a good job, be reliable, be contactable and text the night before a clean. If they quibble on price just say that you use a formula on prices so it's fair to everyone so that's my price (I wrote a little app to help me price - use MIT app creator - just a glorified calculator really) . Leave them with a written quote and it's up to them.
And you can hone the messer radar

Unless you are there in person, you can't see what the job entails. Someone once asked for a quote on the street I was working. It's exactly the same as this house you are cleaning. I have a look when I get there and give you a price, I said. When I got there it was totally different, and she forgot to mention the extension they had done at the back and a conservatory.
Totally agree had exactly the same situation several times after I asked if they had a conservatory said no went and look and low and behold a massive conservatory when I said about it they went very sheepish some people are just trying to catch you out , if they lie about stuff i generally won’t take them on as it’s a red flag to me that they will be a pita customer

In the very early days and until FB etc took off I went and quoted in person but for more than 7 years I haven't bothered unless absolutely necessary such as a big detached house, normal for me is photos of each side of the house with windows then I will quote them but I know the streets and houses if someone misses 2 windows and a door on the side I know straight away,

for me, this is the easiest option as I can have done a quote and had the customer signed up to the direct debit in far less time than riding across town and then messaging them the quote as I prefer everything in a written format for mine and their clarity on the day and moving forward

Definitely charge more for those cleans as you will feel exhausted and feel like your getting little out of it thats trouble with some people they will want to squeeze you a job out for hardly anything and i did same when first started did it for a standard maintenance clean to get as a regular stick to your guns if they want them cleaning they'll pay it if not let then find someone else who will break their back for peanuts always get more not irreplaceable but starting is hard keep at it id say about an hr about right some xan take longer depends how badly caked they are i tend to go round wirh a soft hand brush 10mins just getting cobwebs spider nest and sill crease then its not as tough

I always go in person to do quotes you can see any problems then also see the customer what they are like if you get any warning signs.Also you can sell your other services plastic cleaning,Con roof, gutter clearing .I think they like to meet you in person I think a lot about trust and they often comment on how clean the van looks

I always go in person to do quotes you can see any problems then also see the customer what they are like if you get any warning signs.Also you can sell your other services plastic cleaning,Con roof, gutter clearing .I think they like to meet you in person I think a lot about trust and they often comment on how clean the van looks
My reputation exceeds me so I don't have to have to out and make sure my van is clean or suss out a customer, most know I am not the cheapest as they have asked on resident's FB pages or been on my website so they know what to expect also no GoCardless no window clean

Well that’s good to hear we all have different ways operating and as long as it works for you that’s the main aim in businesses of any sort and you are happy with the net profit at year end then you are doing it right for you

Latest Posts

Back