Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Thermal box for a surflow pump

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mooghy

Hello,
Anyone built a thermal housing for a sureflow pump in there van, as winter is here soon, and I'd like to put something g over the pump as it's just screwed in at the moment was thinking a small tool box with insulation foil, but anyone got something tye recommend

Hello,
Anyone built a thermal housing for a sureflow pump in there van, as winter is here soon, and I'd like to put something g over the pump as it's just screwed in at the moment was thinking a small tool box with insulation foil, but anyone got something tye recommend

You need a heat source. Insulation will slow the heat loss down but not stop it. So eventually your pump will freeze up.

If you can't apply a heat source then we would drain the pump down. Switch off the water tap at the tank, loosen and remove the filter bowl and turn the pump on to remove the water in the pump head. Disconnect the hose reel when you are doing this as water will be blown out of the hose as well.

You need a heat source. Insulation will slow the heat loss down but not stop it. So eventually your pump will freeze up.

If you can't apply a heat source then we would drain the pump down. Switch off the water tap at the tank, loosen and remove the filter bowl and turn the pump on to remove the water in the pump head. Disconnect the hose reel when you are doing this as water will be blown out of the hose as well.
I've never had an issue with the pump getting ice in overnight but been caught out years ago and had an inch or so of water freeze in the hose from the tank to the pump and had to remove the hose to get the block of ice out.

draining the hose and pump comes with issues as well such as sorting out the airlock the next morning which needs to be taken into account when draining the system dry.

I've never had an issue with the pump getting ice in overnight but been caught out years ago and had an inch or so of water freeze in the hose from the tank to the pump and had to remove the hose to get the block of ice out.

draining the hose and pump comes with issues as well such as sorting out the airlock the next morning which needs to be taken into account when draining the system dry.

Our weather is definitely milder on the east coast. It's those guys west of the A1 who experience much greater drops in temperature during a bad winter.

Our weather is definitely milder on the east coast. It's those guys west of the A1 who experience much greater drops in temperature during a bad winter.
That was the case last week when we headed towards and past the Tan Hill Inn (the highest pub in the UK for those that didn't know) as we got further west from the A1 the temperature dropped from 4c to 0c and that was after 10am plenty of frost on the ground and frozen ground water on the roads and paths

Back