Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hi Everyone! New starter here.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I use a 450gpd I produce pure direct to a IBC tank then transfer to my van tank my water is 65psi and produce approx 1000l  every 24 hours in winter that’s goes down to approx 800l in 24 hours. That’s enough to keep 2 of us going each day.

I personally don’t want to get any busier than we are now as I don’t want to end up like @Part Timer in 20 years time ?
That would currently make you 22 ?

Are you all not using a lot more pure water with the sunny weather?
No difference. The pump pumps the same rate wether it's hot or cold, I use the same method regardless of temperature. The water may expand very slightly once it's running through the hose running along the sun heated ground in hot weather like a heat exchange so may get slightly more water at the brush head ?

Last edited by a moderator:
No difference. The pump pumps the same rate wether it's hot or cold, I use the same method regardless of temperature. The water may expand very slightly once it's running through the hose running along the sun heated ground in hot weather like a heat exchange so may get slightly more water at the brush head ?

I thought you would need to cool the glass to make it better for rinsing.

I thought you would need to cool the glass to make it better for rinsing.
Haven't heard of that. Does anyone else do it? By my thinking, by the time I've finished rinsing it there aren't any impurities left on the glass so doesn't matter how fast it dries. In any case I've never noticed any marks left after doing it in very hot weather before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't heard of that. Does anyone else do it? By my thinking, by the time I've finished rinsing it there aren't any impurities left on the glass so doesn't matter how fast it dries. In any case I've never noticed any marks left after doing it in very hot weather before.
Same here. That theory kinda goes against the grain for people who use hot water systems. I’ve been led to believe that hot water(which will also make the glass hot) cleans better. Or am I just mistaken and using hot water is a big no no in warm weather??

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Thanks for the help so far guys.
Now for one on deciding the vehicle expenses. I reckon in the first year (especially first tax year till April 2019) we wont do 10k. Even if we did 10k, the £4,500 you would "earn" minus the Van purchase, and tax, and fuel cost would leave £550 to cover insurance for the van........which is nowhere near where I'm getting it seems (I blame the 'new to driving a van' pricing penalty). So would I be better off going for full expenses rather than pence per mile for the first year? Thinking it'll be £200-500 better off even if I did a full 10k in 6 months. If I don't do 10k its a no brainer......right??

Now for one on deciding the vehicle expenses. I reckon in the first year (especially first tax year till April 2019) we wont do 10k. Even if we did 10k, the £4,500 you would "earn" minus the Van purchase, and tax, and fuel cost would leave £550 to cover insurance for the van........which is nowhere near where I'm getting it seems (I blame the 'new to driving a van' pricing penalty). So would I be better off going for full expenses rather than pence per mile for the first year? Thinking it'll be £200-500 better off even if I did a full 10k in 6 months. If I don't do 10k its a no brainer......right??
once you chose which way you go on van expenses you have to stick with it for as long as you own the vehicle,thats HMRC tax rules,so work out life of van x millage allowance and "all in" prices before you stick your tax return in

once you chose which way you go on van expenses you have to stick with it for as long as you own the vehicle,thats HMRC tax rules,so work out life of van x millage allowance and "all in" prices before you stick your tax return in

Now that's something I didnt know...or see anywhere on HMRC for that matter. The van should hopefully last 5 years plus, or thats the plan!

This will very much depend on how much you think you will turnover the first year. I am not 100% certain on this so ask your Accountant, just say in the first year you turnover £30k, you should nett about £25k, if you then write off the van you profit will be below your joint tax allowance and have therefore lost most of the tax benefit in doing so. If you claim your 45ppm and only do 6000 miles this would make you more money, tax wise.

As I said, ask an Accountant to work out what's best for you at the end of the year. What I would do is start logging the miles and keep all your motoring expenses, then you can either go the depreciation or mileage route.

Well, a bit of progress. Most parts have now been ordered, flat tank and cage, hose reels, pumps and controller x2, SLX 27 pole, RO/DI system. Just the leisure battery and charging relay left, anyone know if the 2008 Caddy would use a standard one or need a fancy one?
The Mrs also decided to give the van a layer of protectakote the other day...

WP_20180624_18_43_30_Pro.jpg

Quick question, received some kit today including an ex-ceed univalve. The Mrs tried to "click" it just by hand to see how it works but it wont budge one bit, normal until its in situ, or broken?? Thought id best check with those who may have used them before ringing to complain and looking a complete berk!

Quick question, received some kit today including an ex-ceed univalve. The Mrs tried to "click" it just by hand to see how it works but it wont budge one bit, normal until its in situ, or broken?? Thought id best check with those who may have used them before ringing to complain and looking a complete berk!
They're surprisingly stiff. However you need to grab it by the very tip as only the end bit will move and even then it won't move very far. Try blowing through it to see if it's open or closed then try clicking the valve.

Turns out (as I did suggest to her, but we wont remind her of that ? ) that once it is attached to hose it is much easier! Works fine.

On another note, does anyone else get problems with delivery times? Ordered from 4 sites (Window cleaning warehouse, gardiner, soap national and pure freedom) for our parts, all offered next day delivery free apart from soap national who just say free delivery. Yet out of the 4 companies, only soap national was next day, Gardiner was 2 days (fair enough), pure freedom has been 5 days and the order isn't right, and WCW I'm told will be here on Monday....that's  12 days! Are they all usually this bad?? Must be a nightmare if they are!

Right, sorry to bump this back up but another question..... Does anyone know where I could get the frame for my tank fitted? Preferably in East Anglia! I have the pure freedom cage, but want a few bits modified/added and need it bolted in. My mechanic I use wasn't too keen so need to find somewhere else that's trusted (most places round here seem to be run by cowboys) so hoping someone can help?

Right, sorry to bump this back up but another question..... Does anyone know where I could get the frame for my tank fitted? Preferably in East Anglia! I have the pure freedom cage, but want a few bits modified/added and need it bolted in. My mechanic I use wasn't too keen so need to find somewhere else that's trusted (most places round here seem to be run by cowboys) so hoping someone can help?
Where are you in east anglia? Was it Norwich way?

Thought I'd ressurect this one!
Van is now kitted out and plumbed up, it needs a few slight tweaks but at the moment it can produce water and wash windows, just need to tidy up a drip or two. I had a question about the RO though, I've set it to about 60 waste 40 pure, maybe 55/45 (measured using two jugs and a race to the 500ml line :1f602: )
When the RO is at this ratio the pressure gauge reads 60psi, is this enough or would a booster pump help production? Think ppm in is just over 400, ppm out when first turned on was about 35, but havent given time for the RO to settle yet, resin brings it down to 1ppm anyway so its no issue for now.
Next job is to fit ports in the bumper for the water feed and waste pipes for the RO, any suggestions?

Thought I'd ressurect this one!
Van is now kitted out and plumbed up, it needs a few slight tweaks but at the moment it can produce water and wash windows, just need to tidy up a drip or two. I had a question about the RO though, I've set it to about 60 waste 40 pure, maybe 55/45 (measured using two jugs and a race to the 500ml line :1f602: )
When the RO is at this ratio the pressure gauge reads 60psi, is this enough or would a booster pump help production? Think ppm in is just over 400, ppm out when first turned on was about 35, but havent given time for the RO to settle yet, resin brings it down to 1ppm anyway so its no issue for now.
Next job is to fit ports in the bumper for the water feed and waste pipes for the RO, any suggestions?
My water fluctuates between 200 and 400 and my tap pressure is 50psi, by the time it gets through the pre filters i'm getting just over 40psi, once I set it to 50/50 production I am at about 35psi... When the tap TDS is at it's highest I am still getting 31TDS from the membrane. With 60psi you should be getting better results than me. More importantly I am getting 0TDS after the resin, this should be achievable with what you have described your output from the membrane to be, try giving the resin a good shake to get rid of any channels the water has created in it, check your O ring seals on the pre filters etc.

With regards to measuring @spruce recommended I accurately measure the litres I put through the system using one of these;

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pure-water-systems/water-treatment/tds-meters/digiflow-flow-meter-and-filter-life-monitor-with-1-2-ports.html

Currently on sale as well. I think its a fantastic piece of kit as I know I am changing pre filters when I should be.

Back