Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Think I scratched a window using bronze wool pad

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It would be hard for him to prove you did it? You have two choices :- first one is, you tell him you have seen a lawyer and I will now be defending the case rigorously because I believe I never scratched the window. My lawyer said you would need to provide proof that I did it!

second one is:-  You continue to do his windows and replace the glass units.

I know what one I would be choosing if I didn't like him.

Ide do a insurance clame then ditch him as he will now be paranoid about any more marks or scratches that may appear at least then u have done the rite thing he can not slag u off

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I think it would be hard for him to prove it was me.   I doubt he has photos.  It was his rental place. I'll offer to pay half for patio glass get a glass fitter to do it privately.   Say I don't know if I did it.  I genuinely don't know if I did as it was dark. But as it's a possibility will try and find a fitter myself and tell him the price. He's notorious for not paying people so will ask him to transfer half the money to the guy before I pay.   

Will speak to him when I do his house windows this Monday for last time.  Is £50 a month mind.  But that's underpriced. It takes 2.5 hrs

Last edited by a moderator:
Noting of the type of customer he is and if you paid to have the glass replaced, what's to say he won't pick up on something else to complain about a few months down the line?
Customer relationships like this seldom end well.

If it was me I just wouldn't go back, and if he starts getting litigious then just say they weren't there when you cleaned them, it's up to him to prove otherwise.
A bit back when I was tradding I had a good customer point out an arched shape scratch on her living room window in the same area I always changed stroke and it was obviously my doing ( there must have been grit under the squeegee blade).
I was lucky it was pointed out, but I wasn't asked to sort it out, if I had been I would have paid.
I still do the house today.

Noting of the type of customer he is and if you paid to have the glass replaced, what's to say he won't pick up on something else to complain about a few months down the line?
Customer relationships like this seldom end well.

If it was me I just wouldn't go back, and if he starts getting litigious then just say they weren't there when you cleaned them, it's up to him to prove otherwise.
A bit back when I was tradding I had a good customer point out an arched shape scratch on her living room window in the same area I always changed stroke and it was obviously my doing ( there must have been grit under the squeegee blade).
I was lucky it was pointed out, but I wasn't asked to sort it out, if I had been I would have paid.
I still do the house today.

He hasn't threatened anything yet, but he's a bad payer.  He's anal.  Rich kid.  Got cameras all over his house.  He was on about replacing the whole patio doors anyhow. He also said the inventory flagged up dirty windows after I'd done them. I've never had any problems on his house over last 2 yrs

You say it's his rented house. How do you know it wasn't the last tenant that did it? It seems too much scraping for just a clean to cause it. Check if there are any scraping inside the glass also. Seems to me that they were there and you are taking the rap for it. I would say the scraps were already there. But I will clean them for free for x months as a peace offering. He was going to change them, probably because they were already scrapped!

Yeah exactly. It's a possibility it was tenants.   

When calling insurance company, what would you say if u go down that route?  They try and catch u out I imagine.   What things do us windies need to be careful of? 

Someone tripping on hose with no warning cone or slipping on water maybe on doorstep or tiles. I guess would have to freeze.  And imagine if I'd scratched all windows on house.  Should hear a noise

You say it's his rented house. How do you know it wasn't the last tenant that did it? It seems too much scraping for just a clean to cause it. Check if there are any scraping inside the glass also. Seems to me that they were there and you are taking the rap for it. I would say the scraps were already there. But I will clean them for free for x months as a peace offering. He was going to change them, probably because they were already scrapped!

Buzz Don't offer him any money! That's admitting guilt. Just offer to do his windows for free because you Don't Know if it was you. Don't Know is my favourite answer :1f609:

Just tell the truth and say :- I am being accused of scrapping glass when I was cleaning it. It was getting dark when I was doing it and didn't notice any scrapes on the glass when I left.

I wanted to do the moral thing and offer to pay half the costs of fitting the windows.  From a legal perspective would sending a text offering to pay o half lead to the possibility of having to pay lots more? At least offer to find him a glass Fitter or offer to do it myself? Looks like £300 for one glass unit.  Might be 2 just from photo.  

He's making me nervous as he's asking me the time I am going round to do his windows. He was never this keen to know what was going on before. 

Another point, the first little pvc window on this thread which I think I did scratch with bronze wool. Would offering to replace that not be admitting guilt?  They seemed good people.  The patio guy is an ass

Been using the bronze wool pads on a Gardiner scraper and they're amazing on pvc and for getting off stubborn stains on glass. The things is I scratched two windows already with it.  The first one was  because of grit I could see then today I think I scratched window again on the middle.  Couldn't see any grit. How do I deal with this? 
. Rinse under a tap? Carry a bit of glass which I could rub against it as a tester? 

I feel like replacing the glass for them, is that easy to do? 
View attachment 12789
View attachment 12790
Knew I’d seen how to do this somewhere. I haven’t had to do it myself thankfully.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Back