Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Thinking About A Career Change

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Wonder whether these unhelpful bank staff will one day look back when they're unemployed and say to themselves - maybe if I hadn't of treated customers so poorly and handballed the task the customer asked to the internet, maybe I might of had a job today...
I don't that's the case mate, it comes from the top, look at the Natwest in the village that closed it was nearly always busy and sometimes the queue was out the door, yet they still closed the last bank we had despite the petition against the closure and there used to 4 banks before possibly more

I don't that's the case mate, it comes from the top, look at the Natwest in the village that closed it was nearly always busy and sometimes the queue was out the door, yet they still closed the last bank we had despite the petition against the closure and there used to 4 banks before possibly more
Yes the top are forcing the digital age. They then get held hostage by the IT team because they have to continue to change things to justify their jobs. If they try to sack them then they sabotage the system like what happened to BA and TSB.

Yes the top are forcing the digital age. They then get held hostage by the IT team because they have to continue to change things to justify their jobs. If they try to sack them then they sabotage the system like what happened to BA and TSB.
Going off what I heard some time ago, the banks servers and equipment are well out of date, you would think a massive upgrade would need to take place otherwise sabotage from a hacker surely wouldn't be that hard, never mind the in house techs, really surprising how big organisations aren't 100% on the ball with their security, It was on the regional news this week how a council in @spruce's neck of the woods were hacked and it cost them £2 million

All big business care about is reducing costs, maximising profit. The guys at the top pushing the agenda are accountants and there jobs will be under threat due to technology adavncements... If I was working in a bank I would be helpful to customers not just be like - go on the internet and do what you need to do there - goodbye. The service I get from my banks is terrible, when I think back twenty years ago to the service they used to give it is very sad... 

Going off what I heard some time ago, the banks servers and equipment are well out of date, you would think a massive upgrade would need to take place otherwise sabotage from a hacker surely wouldn't be that hard, never mind the in house techs, really surprising how big organisations aren't 100% on the ball with their security, It was on the regional news this week how a council in @spruce's neck of the woods were hacked and it cost them £2 million
Have you never noticed one thing about UK companies especially Government bodies? They don't like to spend any money on routine maintenance! They would rather wait till it collapses like the M&S sign in Glasgow that hit two women last week. They used to dredge the rivers in Avon & Summerset until a bean counter thought what a waste of money and runs off with big bonus. Decades later all the homes get flooded and they ask why. My customer was routine maintenance officer for British Rail and every Sunday they would walk the tracks and have a visual inspection. Bean counter get's hired and first thing he does is stop the Sunday visual inspection. Years later we have one of the biggest rail crashes in history because of no routine maintenance but the bean counter is away with big bonus. The UK has changed to reactive when it used to be proactive because of short term gains in money management. They are trying to do it with the Police up here. I called them for a fight but because there was not a weapon involved they wouldn't attend. fwiw

Have you never noticed one thing about UK companies especially Government bodies? They don't like to spend any money on routine maintenance! They would rather wait till it collapses like the M&S sign in Glasgow that hit two women last week. They used to dredge the rivers in Avon & Summerset until a bean counter thought what a waste of money and runs off with big bonus. Decades later all the homes get flooded and they ask why. My customer was routine maintenance officer for British Rail and every Sunday they would walk the tracks and have a visual inspection. Bean counter get's hired and first thing he does is stop the Sunday visual inspection. Years later we have one of the biggest rail crashes in history because of no routine maintenance but the bean counter is away with big bonus. The UK has changed to reactive when it used to be proactive because of short term gains in money management. They are trying to do it with the Police up here. I called them for a fight but because there was not a weapon involved they wouldn't attend. fwiw
Funnily enough I was at a mates house the other day and he had been talking to some one very near the local river earlier this week, were there is a former mine, some years ago they had a pump running to pump water out of the old mine shafts/workings they have stopped doing this completely right across the board at all the former mine workings, this came from the guy who was out there doing an assessment, with all the rain it makes you wonder what could happen. 

Redcar and Cleveland Council it was.

The council is broke so I don't know about £2 million.

There are still numerous organizations still running Windows XP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redcar and Cleveland Council it was.

The council is broke so I don't know about £2 million.

There are still numerous organizations still running Windows XP.
Pretty sure it said £2 million on the news, big organisations will be spending £1,000's on things each year but fail to upgrade what's needed, councils are the worst for this, off topic a bit with all the austerity we have had our council made massive cutbacks and lots of people lost their jobs, then they have apparently saved so much money that they can afford to build a new council offices ?

Prevention is better than cure...old saying...that is true

Pretty sure it said £2 million on the news, big organisations will be spending £1,000's on things each year but fail to upgrade what's needed, councils are the worst for this, off topic a bit with all the austerity we have had our council made massive cutbacks and lots of people lost their jobs, then they have apparently saved so much money that they can afford to build a new council offices ?
It sometimes just doesn't make sense.

Allegedly our council borrowed cheap money on the back of investments in Icelandic banks that collapsed. They then had to borrow money to survive. They tell us that these loans are due for repayment this year and there is no money to pay them. 

As i said earlier, i think the only reason why we got the school clean last year is because I sprung it on them at the last minute. It's a new guy in charge who had been in the job 2 days. Ask other outside contractors were cancelled. But I doubt we will be doing it this year. If we do then it will be chosen windows the public see.

It sometimes just doesn't make sense.

Allegedly our council borrowed cheap money on the back of investments in Icelandic banks that collapsed. They then had to borrow money to survive. They tell us that these loans are due for repayment this year and there is no money to pay them. 

As i said earlier, i think the only reason why we got the school clean last year is because I sprung it on them at the last minute. It's a new guy in charge who had been in the job 2 days. Ask other outside contractors were cancelled. But I doubt we will be doing it this year. If we do then it will be chosen windows the public see.
The mind boggles, I think that has happened with a other councils as well, the school thing happened at a local school as well new headteacher just a lad in his twenties, but he cut staff numbers. 3 months ago my wife and the two lasses she shares/shared a job role with were told savings needed to be made and staff numbers had to be cut, the other 2 put in for their redundancy, a total of 10-12 employees across the various homes then 2-3 weeks later all the staff were informed that the paper recording for tasks was been scrapped and they are introducing a digital/computer based system

Son in law works for a company linked to the Middlesbrough council. The council pay his wages every month.

He told us last night that the hackers who hacked into the Redcar and Cleveland council's computers thought they had hacked into the council's website in Cleveland, Ohio which apparently isn't broke. ?

Back