Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Thinking of binning the website

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Anyhow, my company pays the monthly subscription
Remember that if you didn't pay the subscription even after tax you would have somewhere between 60 and 80% of the subscription fee?

When ever a self employed person (or owner of ltd company) says 'my company pays for xyz' do they not realise that effectively they are 'paying' between 60 and 80% of the cost out of their own pocket?

Remember that if you didn't pay the subscription even after tax you would have somewhere between 60 and 80% of the subscription fee?

When ever a self employed person (or owner of ltd company) says 'my company pays for xyz' do they not realise that effectively they are 'paying' between 60 and 80% of the cost out of their own pocket?
I will soon pay 30% tax so your right 70% will come out of my pocket but last week I wouldn't have got the job. That job gave me another two and I took over a grand in three days. The material was £150 as I have the equipment to complete the tasks in hand. 70% Checkatrade cost this month is £60 and I made £900 from it so as far as I see it, its a no brainer. I don't get the good jobs if I'm not on Checkatrade so I'm signing up for another year. ? 

Get what your saying but because someone is on Checkatrade doesn’t make them anymore trust worthy than someone who’s found online. Checkatrade accept anyone who pays the fee ?‍♂️

Also for someone new signing up what makes them stand out to someone who’s got hundreds of reviews already? 
You don't understand their concept. They come and interview you and look at all your documents before they accept you. Then you get your customers to fill in a form and they call them up to talk to them and also send them letters to their address. When someone enquires through Checkatrade about a trade the nearest company comes up first or first page. As I'm the only one in Paisley I always come up first or nearly first which is good because the job is local. Its hard to explain as you would need to be on it. 

I will soon pay 30% tax so your right 70% will come out of my pocket but last week I wouldn't have got the job. That job gave me another two and I took over a grand in three days. The material was £150 as I have the equipment to complete the tasks in hand. 70% Checkatrade cost this month is £60 and I made £900 from it so as far as I see it, its a no brainer. I don't get the good jobs if I'm not on Checkatrade so I'm signing up for another year. ? 
Sorry I wasn't knocking CheckaTrade just as it works for you. I was just suggesting that you pay 70% out of your pocket! 

How will you pay 30% tax, must be the only person in the UK that falls into this tax bracket

How will you pay 30% tax, must be the only person in the UK that falls into this tax bracket
He is a special one ?. 

I don't bother with any advertising now and have removed my fb pages as well.

Never had or needed a website and still pick up work virtually daily.

I have a good rapport with existing customers also and have got a lot of them actively finding me new customers (their friends etc) without giving any incentives to do so.

Surprising how many people want to help when you've spoke to them every few weeks for years.

Someone previously said they get 25 new customers a month from their website.. I've done that this last month from walk ups and word of mouth which also gives me reliable customers in my experience. 

He is a special one ?. 

I don't bother with any advertising now and have removed my fb pages as well.

Never had or needed a website and still pick up work virtually daily.

I have a good rapport with existing customers also and have got a lot of them actively finding me new customers (their friends etc) without giving any incentives to do so.

Surprising how many people want to help when you've spoke to them every few weeks for years.

Someone previously said they get 25 new customers a month from their website.. I've done that this last month from walk ups and word of mouth which also gives me reliable customers in my experience. 
We're broadly similar with our recruitment. Though we do advertise in two very local publications.

Confession : I get great pride and satisfaction from seeing our adds, as I do when I look at our van after years of driving vehicles with other people's liveries. Also it does keep us prominent in the locality and bring a steady stream of enquiries. Most of whom become new customers.

My website is purely used for reference for customers or potential customers to browse and find out a bit about you. I designed it myself years ago and update it now and again. IMO it is something you have to have and is very inexpensive over the year. Get more enquiries through word of mouth and facebook but still a must have imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't understand their concept. They come and interview you and look at all your documents before they accept you. Then you get your customers to fill in a form and they call them up to talk to them and also send them letters to their address. When someone enquires through Checkatrade about a trade the nearest company comes up first or first page. As I'm the only one in Paisley I always come up first or nearly first which is good because the job is local. Its hard to explain as you would need to be on it. 
Only one in Paisley....that gives you an advantage if customer looking for a local company.

If you don't need or want any more work then I wouldn't bother.

Personally I don't really like using any new service now if they don't have any online presence.

Website inquiries have slowed down massively in recent years but that is more to do with the amount of people at this now in my area.I still wouldn't let mine go.

If you don't need or want any more work then I wouldn't bother.

Personally I don't really like using any new service now if they don't have any online presence.

Website inquiries have slowed down massively in recent years but that is more to do with the amount of people at this now in my area.I still wouldn't let mine go.
Your right. My mate was working for some cowboys and he was telling me all the work they were getting and it all came through Yell. Yell had made them a professional website and it looked great but after a while their business collapsed due to poor work. Got me thinking how the public trust good websites.

Back