Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

This is the reason why i hate going to quote industrial units

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Also there is not point trying to clear the guttering when the roof in part is covered in **** too. Not to mention the other trees I've not shown in any pics growing up there in the guttering that would also need removing as well.

View attachment 3583

Anyway they have the option to find someone else to risk their neck but I'm fooked if I'm going to for the sake of cutting corners to keep the cost down. :rolleyes:

roof looks flat enough to walk without risk of going over edge . course itd be slippy but id think you could shoot most of those rotten leaves straight over the side with a yard broom without going near edge . then on your knees scoop out gutters starting where its easy ,sideaways to gutter and gaining confidence on where to kneel as u go. id probably take up a big square cushion to kneel on to safe my knees

rather than a builders trowel im now thinking id use a plasterers float to rake along and scoop out with .using this tool would make sure you were positioned sideaways which would be much safer

i cant see any reason why not to use a ladder there either, if its muddy thatd be a real bonus as you could dig it in good . you could only use a regular ladder not one with a safety bar obviously .

So you don't take H&S seriously then @boarcity... What are you like /emoticons/biggrin.png

roof looks flat enough to walk without risk of going over edge . course itd be slippy but id think you could shoot most of those rotten leaves straight over the side with a yard broom without going near edge . then on your knees scoop out gutters starting where its easy ,sideaways to gutter and gaining confidence on where to kneel as u go. id probably take up a big square cushion to kneel on to safe my kneesrather than a builders trowel im now thinking id use a plasterers float to rake along and scoop out with .using this tool would make sure you were positioned sideaways which would be much safer

i cant see any reason why not to use a ladder there either, if its muddy thatd be a real bonus as you could dig it in good . you could only use a regular ladder not one with a safety bar obviously .

I used to clean roofs smurf and always wore a harness. I am still confused about the actual LEGAL requirements of working at height. These books seem to be guidelines. Is it actually illegal to not use a fall arrest system when working on a roof? I did it for my safety not because of the law. I don't think I have ever seen a roofer with a harness on!!

I bet life insurance, mortgage cover, sick pay even wouldnt pay out unless all the Ppe was worn.

Everyone I tell about my business idea seems to know someone who's either died or had a major injury from working at height.

That book like others available refers to many regs when working at height and are not just guidelines but law which it seems many individuals don't realise. That is why firms and individuals get prosecuted every year and jobs shut down by not following the regs.

That's interesting. Shame it is not well policed. Lot's of firms have such photos on their websites......

When dealing with companies like that industrial unit which are hot on H&S they will not allow any jo blogs to turn up and carry out work unsafely as they can be prosecuted too.

You will find in any trade working at height especially in the domestic market they will flout the law (cut corners) just so to remain competitive on price, maximise profit and save time at the expense of workers safety.

That's interesting. Shame it is not well policed. Lot's of firms have such photos on their websites......

believe me nowt is as simples as it looks...like the recent gutter frank had to repair when he was a good two foot away from the particular bracket that broke and when he looked he noticed that all the surrounding brackets had been replaced with a metal support so they were obviously cr ap from the start...

I now factor in for the hidden and if no hidden turns up...I am quids in...:Dnow just off to smurf an estimate for a house with loadsa jobs..

dont be mean smurf I think boar wants the job....:Ddont worry ..he will travel..

Last edited by a moderator:
£500 my **** /emoticons/biggrin.png

I have a picture in my head now with @boarcity up on that roof playing tug of war trying to get those trees out and trying to clear the roof & gutters too. Best bit his boots will be covered in mud so will be slipping and sliding all over the place. That’s if he makes it up his ladder in the first place without falling off.:laugh:

i also would be using whats called parrot beak croppers,to make short work of the tree top

id label the job summat like "the barbados job " and refer to this name often,as a reminder to what was the aim, price would be paying for a fortnight in barbados for me n missus. im now thinkin i underpriced it at 500 ,

anyhow whatever was the ticket price on a memorable holiday would be what my price would be

I would charge in the region of £600 not including remove/replacement of the downpipe that's if there is full scaffolding erected first or they can get someone else to do the job./emoticons/biggrin.png

And I will let you know their response but I'm not holding my breath /emoticons/biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I could do it but it wouldn't be safe without scaffolding

I have a ticket for ally tower but it would be awkward to set it up safely in that gap

Did they ask for ra/ms or anything smurf?

I would think they would want to be covered if you fell

Pity tower isn't suitable for the job as i would have let them pay for it and then walked away with a nice new tower

Latest Posts

Back