Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Thoughts on this marketing??

WCF

Help Support WCF:

You do raise good points there but again I would never deliberately chase after customers from another windy. If i knock another windys patch / drop flyers, that's fair game but I would never deliberately advertise deliberately mentioning to switch away from another windy - that IMO is just underhand and asking for hassle.

Again I still can't quite see how 6 free months ends up in the customer paying over 24 months - I think many customers would also see that as odd but i suppose if that works for you then so be it. I don't think i could swing it personally as many folks round here are switched on but i'll keep it in mind and appreciate the advice.

You can think its wrong all you like.

Someone will be out there doing it regardless and making it a success, maybe someone somewhere is sat on a beach sipping cocktails with a few vans out back home all built by advertising in this way. (who knows its possible)

Id guess he doesnt really care for your opinion when he is looking after himself and his family.

Its all just marketting blurb, nothing is free in life...

Theres plenty of ways they could do the 6 months "free". At the end, at the beginning, in the middle. Maybe 4 cleans then 1 free etc. or maybe they just take the price they want £10 x 24 = £240 divide 240/18 = £13.33 and advertise that as the regular price they would have normally been paying.

How they do it is irrelevant, what matters is you get the total £ you want in the 24 month period, beginning, middle, end, spread makes no odds

Maybe the contract would include a clause like if you want to get out of it early you have to pay the 6 month discount back.

Dont think people wont sign up to such a thing, people sign up to daft contracts all the time its how its sold to them that matters.

Oh how true that one is! My missus and the gym was a good example  :1f609:

Its in everything, everything we buy or do is marketting and advertising. 

People fall for "free" all the time, they just cant help themselves, nothing is ever free

great where do i sign...when it comes to cancelling they didnt read the small print...yes you can cancel anytime but theres a cancellation fee lol

Its in everything, everything we buy or do is marketting and advertising. 

People fall for "free" all the time, they just cant help themselves, nothing is ever free

great where do i sign...when it comes to cancelling they didnt read the small print...yes you can cancel anytime but theres a cancellation fee lol
Tim Horton's are doing free coffee or hot chocolate at the moment. Is it a marketing ploy? Yes. Would I be drinking their stuff anyway? Yes. So who wins? ME! ?

Tim Horton's are doing free coffee or hot chocolate at the moment. Is it a marketing ploy? Yes. Would I be drinking their stuff anyway? Yes. So who wins? ME! ?
You keep trying to tempt me to come visit with come visit with a original Scottish breakfast but I still ain't going north of the border. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I really can’t see anyone signing a two year contract for domestic window cleaning even if there is a perception of getting something for free. All’s they will do is attract loads of messers that will cancel their direct debit after the six months. The only way it would work is if they paid upfront which again I really can’t see happening. 

I really can’t see anyone signing a two year contract for domestic window cleaning even if there is a perception of getting something for free. All’s they will do is attract loads of messers that will cancel their direct debit after the six months. The only way it would work is if they paid upfront which again I really can’t see happening. 
The same guy was doing 3 months free a while back (My detective skills found that out)

I'm with you 100% mate. We aren't large companies like Tesco or Asda where competition is healthy, the bulk of window cleaners are people trying to provide for their families. IMO it's like walking into a shop and asking for an interview for someone else's job. It is just majorly underhand.

I’ve mentioned on here over the years how I think it’s important to be a ‘people person’ in this job.

Never has this been so apt on a scenario like this.

I’ve got customers whose windows I’ve been cleaning for over 25 years. They know the name of my wife and my sons even though they’ve never met them.

The point I’m making is, if you spare a minute with your regular customers and ask about THEM, not tell them all about you, they will feel that personal touch and won’t even look at these ‘special offers’ or cheaper windies.

Pub time ?.

Have a great bank holiday fellow windies ?.

More to life than work ?

The same guy was doing 3 months free a while back (My detective skills found that out)

I'm with you 100% mate. We aren't large companies like Tesco or Asda where competition is healthy, the bulk of window cleaners are people trying to provide for their families. IMO it's like walking into a shop and asking for an interview for someone else's job. It is just majorly underhand.
Exactly that. It’s one thing advertising your business and building a customer base but actively going out to poach customers from other window cleaners is going too far in my book. I know business is business and the nice guy always finishes last and all that but I’m doing very well without those sorts of tactics and can sleep at night with my morals intact. 

I have had other windys knocking doors of my clients and undercutting me on price or at least trying to out of 100's of I have only had 2 jump ship in the last 2 years, I agree with @steve garwood a bit of time having a chat makes a difference I spent around 30 minutes in total the other day chatting to 3 clients, people don't just jump ship to save a £1-2 unless they ain't worth having on your books 

I have had other windys knocking doors of my clients and undercutting me on price or at least trying to out of 100's of I have only had 2 jump ship in the last 2 years, I agree with @steve garwood a bit of time having a chat makes a difference I spent around 30 minutes in total the other day chatting to 3 clients, people don't just jump ship to save a £1-2 unless they ain't worth having on your books 
I don’t see anything wrong with canvassing someone’s customers. It’s the offering 6 months free bit that I take issue with and the fact it is specifically aimed at people who already have a window cleaner.

Couldn’t agree more with you and @steve garwood, make time for your customers and they will look after you. I had a bloke tell me about a canvasser the other day, he described him as a “scruffy urchin”, he was £4 cheaper than me too by all accounts.

I do however think this kind of gimmick might drag across some of the loyal customers (not ones you’ve had years and years etc) it isn’t just a small £1 or £2 saving its 6 months free. On a £15 job they’ve just saved £90 in their eyes.

C’mon who was fighting off from wanting to throw their laptops/tablets against the wall after watching a certain YouTube video made on this exact subject today?? ??

C’mon who was fighting off from wanting to throw their laptops/tablets against the wall after watching a certain YouTube video made on this exact subject today?? ??
If someone loses an argument on the internet and then makes a video for some narrow minded followers to make themselves feel better it wouldn't make me throw my laptop. I might roll my eyes a little but that is probably all. Besides this is a brand new MacBook, cost me a bloody fortune.

For anyone about to have a fit, go and look up ''sense of humour'' or ''Joke'' ???

It was made as I think it's an interesting concept in advertising.  It was also made on 'this exact day' as it was the day the post gave me the idea for it.  But hey... go ahead and sling your tech at a wall.  Keeps both repair shops and plasters in work if you do it right. 

If someone loses an argument on the internet and then makes a video for some narrow minded followers to make themselves feel better it

You have a very skewed concept of 'loses an argument' Firstly that assumes you have won something.  Secondly we never argue on here, just debate in a friendly fashion ?

Lastly, if you don't like it, don't watch it. ?

It was made as I think it's an interesting concept in advertising.  It was also made on 'this exact day' as it was the day the post gave me the idea for it.  But hey... go ahead and sling your tech at a wall.  Keeps both repair shops and plasters in work if you do it right. 

You have a very skewed concept of 'loses an argument' Firstly that assumes you have won something.  Secondly we never argue on here, just debate in a friendly fashion ?

Lastly, if you don't like it, don't watch it. ?
Haha fair doos! I haven’t actually given my opinion on this yet. Not that it’s that interesting or important to some lol

Overall the guy business/advertising campaign doesn’t bother me that much at all. I guess it’s easier to say that when it’s hundreds of miles from you. But each to their own. 

Im sure sure we’ve all got customers like this who have said to me ‘we had other quotes but prefer you as you clean so & so’s” (or words to that affect) price/money saving isn’t important to everyone (small amounts of money I’m talking about)

how many people admit they’re still with the wrong energy provider & paying more than they know they can?? I’m one of them. 

Ultimately the guy has the complete right to how he advertises & prices things. Like all of us. The only thing is he’ll make a few enemies and will be treading on people’s feet to get to where he wants to be. There’s some unpredictable people out there. I don’t think acting like that & potentially risking angry reactions is worth all that.

Lastly there’s two sides to every story. Could be that a bigger cleaning company in the area has used so called ‘dirty tactics’ to pinch some of his customers? Or something. 

But as I said earlier in this thread, he should be doing a year free bit 6 months! Haha 

Back