Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tips on Successful Canvassing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I do agree with you @Pjj but we are trying to cut back on contact with people as much as possible due to covid. So at moment leafleting is the lowest risk.

I do get your point that a huge proportion of leaflets will go straight to the bin. Hopefully as time moves on the risks will be reduced and I will do face to face promotion.

Good to know that high numbers of custys can be had by face to face, thanks.
I accept you need to be careful but sticking a flyer through a door is far more likely to contaminate or pass on the virus than talking to someone provided you keep your distance especially stood outside in there garden . I  agree we are living in difficult times but all the way through this pandemic we have gone and seen customers to do quotes and not one has made a negative comment but it’s good to take precautions, I have never used flyers but what Ime hearing about 1-2% pickups is appalling  low I couldn’t be doing with that , when I used to go out canvassing for  2-3 hours I would always pick up at least 6-10 new jobs flyers don’t work in my opinion , compact work is much easier to get by speaking to people if they know that there Neighbour is having you they are far more likely to have you as well . 

I accept you need to be careful but sticking a flyer through a door is far more likely to contaminate or pass on the virus than talking to someone provided you keep your distance especially stood outside in there garden . I  agree we are living in difficult times but all the way through this pandemic we have gone and seen customers to do quotes and not one has made a negative comment but it’s good to take precautions, I have never used flyers but what Ime hearing about 1-2% pickups is appalling  low I couldn’t be doing with that , when I used to go out canvassing for  2-3 hours I would always pick up at least 6-10 new jobs flyers don’t work in my opinion , compact work is much easier to get by speaking to people if they know that there Neighbour is having you they are far more likely to have you as well . 
I completely accept what you say but my partner has blood cancer and according to recent reports the vaccine is virtually useless for people with her condition. Something like 18% had any antibodies 3 weeks after 2nd jab and 0% had any antibodies after 6 weeks! So we are being extra careful. We will be using hand sanitiser before returning back to the car to minimise the contamination.

We can afford to build slowly so for the time being it will be leaflets and then in person quoting at a safe distance. Once covid is at a lower level I will be out canvassing in a big way.

Thanks very much for posting your experience and your wisdom, it is greatly appreciated.

I completely accept what you say but my partner has blood cancer and according to recent reports the vaccine is virtually useless for people with her condition. Something like 18% had any antibodies 3 weeks after 2nd jab and 0% had any antibodies after 6 weeks! So we are being extra careful. We will be using hand sanitiser before returning back to the car to minimise the contamination.

We can afford to build slowly so for the time being it will be leaflets and then in person quoting at a safe distance. Once covid is at a lower level I will be out canvassing in a big way.

Thanks very much for posting your experience and your wisdom, it is greatly appreciated.
I fully understand you need to be extra cautious , hope it works out ok for you when you are able to start ?

@Pjj
Apologies guys, the results of my typing above have gone berserk. But here goes again. I'm with Pjj on this. Personally I think you can't beat face to face canvassing. I tried delivering cards and had very little interest. I didn't try leafleting. Any leaflets that come in our house are recycled.

When I canvassed I used to ring the bell and stand well back as a matter of respect. This was well before the Chinese plague. I can't see a problem with doing the same in the current situation.

I did much better with face to face canvassing than with delivering cards. I didn't need to do it for very long. Once I got a modest customer base it just built up steadily.

youv Never tried it so why are you saying flyers dont work???   just cos you bin your flyers durr 

hubby also did canvassing door to door but found it wearing altho he Did land jobs a lot end as one offs that what they really want but dont admit it,whereas from a flyer you get the chance to ask loaded questions "would you like a one off ? and mull over the responses Before turning up
It’s quite clear they don’t work look at your own figures 1-2% that’s very poor return , I have never had that low level of take up talking to people , Lee Pryor delivered a million flyers and he didn’t get much better take up so it isn’t rocket science to see that door knocking is much better at picking up work and for the record I didn’t get ones just having a one off clean that happens very rarely , you seam very prickly maybe look at the facts before jumping in 

youre a big loser i can see that love
Lol is that the best you can come up with???? , you are openly giving the customer the opportunity to have a one off clean by mentioning it we don’t do one off cleans it’s regular work only  , canvassing isn’t hard work at all just knock a door and chat to the occupier , and Ime not your love either ???

we have never done one offs because hubby filtered the enquiries. you can bang on your right but its clear to me youre  big on  negative advice,CLASSIC SIGN OF A DEADBEAT  
Good job it’s hubby doing the canvassing not you I doubt you would get any customers with that chip on your shoulder ???? probably best to ignore my posts and don’t  bother commenting on them as they obviously upset you so much . 

I haven't canvassed once and only delivered leaflets for a few weeks before giving up. I've used digital and social media and despite working a large portion of my time on a reduced basis due to school closures etc, I'm halfway to my overall target...and that's in 16 months. Quite happy with that. I would be closer to my target if I hadn't binned about 30-40 customers recently though!  

Now I'm back to working everyday, albeit within school hours due to the school runs, I think I'll reach my overall target within the next 12 months. I'm getting a fair few referrals now too and people are finding my website. I've turned down many requests as I'm tightening down on my areas I'm willing to travel to. I focus on 4 areas, all within 20 minutes away and spend a day in one area each time. 

I don't have a problem with doing one offs. I charge appropriately. Makes no difference to me. It's an extra bit of income. I wouldn't want or let it be the mainstay of the business.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever method you use [leaflets,doorknock etc ] ALL will work if you overdo the effort by several times on what you had in mind.Say you had in mind door knock for 3 hours on a weekend ,instead do 9 hours spread over several days,,,,week in week out .So many go all out in the first session get weak results and bale try something else. Its Guaranteed to work but only  if you overdo the effort several times over [at least x3] 

A friend of mine put out 2500 really pro flyers got not 1 call, but if shed put out 8000  or 18000 over a month or 2  the enquiry calls would have followed for sure 
From the feedback I have had from a local company who deal with leaflets they calculate a return of 4 to 6 enquiries based on 1800 flyers approximately shocking....

From the feedback I have had from a local company who deal with leaflets they calculate a return of 4 to 6 enquiries based on 1800 flyers approximately shocking....
Yeah, shocking. I was taught that leaflets have a success rate of 1% but personally found it to be far lower than that despite having a professionally developed leaflet. I never look at leaflets when they come through my letterbox so why would I expect others to do so? 

Yeah, shocking. I was taught that leaflets have a success rate of 1% but personally found it to be far lower than that despite having a professionally developed leaflet. I never look at leaflets when they come through my letterbox so why would I expect others to do so? 
I'm the same mate, all leaflets menus parish booklet all fly straight into my wheelie bin 

Thank you both! Thats geat advice having a flyer to post with a quote. Did you find it successfull posting flyers? I dont want to annoy people, i never pay much attention to flyers that come in my door, but im sure thats not the same for everyone. And yes i will definitely have to not let it get me down. Can imagine theres alot of work involved with a lot of knockbacks.

A trick an old Aussie friend taught me. Use Business cards with your photo on, Its personal. It sub consciously makes the client believe you are friends as they recognise you. They will also pass on your card to friends or send a what’s app of your card. The new client will also recognise you.

Hope this helps :)

Back