Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Safe PPM to clean at?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Cleanz

Did a search and couldn't find anything, but was wondering what is a safe level to clean at?

My ppm has been up and down using a single DI but now using twins, it's pure out the bottle but once in my containers it's 001ppm, don't think it's the containers as they were at 000ppm last week and have had nothing but pure in them - will 001ppm be okay?

Whats the max level you guys use up to?

001 is ok. I never go over 007 really. Once or twice I've used 010. Funny, but my TDS meter sometimes reads at 001 even when it's brand new resin.

On occasions I let mine get to 010-015 and did not notice any ill effect but would recommend trying to keep it below 5 at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Below 10 is most guys rule of thumb. If you store in ibc or something you can probably go a fair bit higher as the lower ppm for the first few hundred liters will bring the aggregate lower, usually something I do when membranes are getting duff and not producing low ppm.

Believe it or not, there are some windows you can clean at over 200 ppm, but I wouldn't reccomend!!!

There isn't a straight forward answer. You see, TDS gives you a reading of all the solids disolved in the water. Though, not all these impurities will cause spotting. The salts and some minerals such as calcium will cause spotting but metals and other minerals won't. These are not the same percentage of the total solids everywhere.

This means that calcium for instance, may make up 50% of the total disolved solids in one part of the country, but only 8% somewhere else. So the window cleaners in the 50% area would need to keep their TDS lower than those in the 8% area.

What you really want to measure is the level of these in your pure water and not the total solids level. But, TDS is a much easier and cheaper measurement to take.

So, I'm afraid that you will just have to find out your level yourself.

BTW, I can't go above 10 ppm

There isn't a straight forward answer. You see, TDS gives you a reading of all the solids disolved in the water. Though, not all these impurities will cause spotting. The salts and some minerals such as calcium will cause spotting but metals and other minerals won't. These are not the same percentage of the total solids everywhere.
This means that calcium for instance, may make up 50% of the total disolved solids in one part of the country, but only 8% somewhere else. So the window cleaners in the 50% area would need to keep their TDS lower than those in the 8% area.

What you really want to measure is the level of these in your pure water and not the total solids level. But, TDS is a much easier and cheaper measurement to take.

between you and gav i am learning so much about pure water....to a newbie it be very scary but i am getting the idea now....thats a great answer though thanks.

Did a search and couldn't find anything, but was wondering what is a safe level to clean at?
My ppm has been up and down using a single DI but now using twins, it's pure out the bottle but once in my containers it's 001ppm, don't think it's the containers as they were at 000ppm last week and have had nothing but pure in them - will 001ppm be okay?

Whats the max level you guys use up to?

I have used 010 in the winter but would never try to use that high in the summer. 005 is the max I will use in the summer simply because it dries quicker and increases the chance of spots

It's no more than 003 for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the detailed answer... I cleaned okay at 001 today, few marks on the windows but some dried perfectly clear, I think the spots were mainly due to them being cleaned first time with WFP. It's now 002, so will give that a whirl tomorrow - then going back to trad until I can afford to make pure more cost effectively in a week or two, otherwise I'm going to just keep burning through resin.

Back