Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Trad shop fronts help

WCF

Help Support WCF:

DansClearView

Hi All
I generally don't do trad but I have got a couple of retail premises.
Best thing to use inside please when window has a big logo sticker in the middle of it.
I'm using unger s channel (currently with a green rubber, I'm not a fan, gonna change back to black) but I'm getting a lot of turn marks and when I try to use the detailing cloth it just seems to smear more.
I didn't seem to have this issue to start with - I'm getting worse with practice ?.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi All
Best thing to use inside please when window has a big logo sticker in the middle of it.
I'm using unger s channel (currently with a green rubber, I'm not a fan, gonna change back to black) but I'm getting a lot of turn marks and when I try to use the detailing cloth it just seems to smear more.
I didn't seem to have this issue to start with - I'm getting worse with practice ?.

Thank you
Hi Dan
Hi All

Thank you
Hi Dan,

I’ve got some similar shops with logo stickers inside. I go easy over the stickers and then give them a drying off with a scrim. I’ve tried a few of these new-fangled “detailing cloths” and microfibres but nothing beats a good old scrim cloth in my opinion.

Your turn marks might be that your rubbers need a bit of breaking in; fresh rubbers take a little usage before they’re on point. I’m currently using Unger Soft on my trad jobs as, although it doesn’t last as long, it works well in colder weather.

Sometimes turn marks can be down to technique, if your fanning arches or the squeegee angle is too steep it can leave streaks behind; “try more rolling hills and less mountains” was the advice I was given. I don’t know how long you’ve been doing trad for but maybe use a slightly shorter channel to start with (10”-14”) and work up to the longer ones.

Another couple of things to try would be less soap on your applicator as that can be harder to wipe off with your cloth. Maybe try out Moerman’s liquidator channel or S channel plus. They’ve got the turned in corners to try and reduce detailing but really that’s more helpful on the edges. I mainly use the standard s channels for shop windows but I do like the Liquidator maybe put both in your BOAB and see which one works best.

Sorry for the long answer but hopefully there’s something helpful in there for you. Practice makes perfect but only if you’re adapting as you go.

Thank you, reckon I must have overdone the soap on the shop internal and been half asleep with technique. Did the inside of a residential (regular always wants kitchen window and patio doors done), fresh cloth and didn't seem to have any issues.
Good to know about the window logos though.

I just squeegee them off as I do the rest of the window then leave it while I do other windows. A couple of minutes and then return and use my dry cloth, scrim, huk or my favourite for this task a dry clean fish scale cloth! It absorbs all the remaining water and buffs it up lovely

We use precision microfiber cloths from WCW.

If your getting smear marks with a good microfiber, it maybe caused by something on the glass.

I had a Hairdressers that was using her hairspray to kill flies 🪰 on the window. They were a nightmare to clean.

You may have to go over the glass with #0000 steel wool if its that bad. Not on or near vynal mind you.

The green rubber does break in if you persevere with it, and lasts ages. It is very grippy on the glass, I can see why you wouldn't get on with it.

Hi All

Thank you
A worn rubber will cause turn marks as will holding the squeegee at the wrong angle. You want the channel to be at around a 45 degree angle to the glass. Ditching the green rubber will also help, it's useless. As mentioned try unger soft.

@DansClearView I do a number of traditional jobs and for detailing I haven't found anything better than the Unger microfibre cloths. I get the "Unger 4000" ones as although they are a bit pricier they last for years. Same as you mate I haven't found the coloured squeegee rubber very good but lots of others say they like using them. Must be preference and technique I suppose. Have you tried a different soap solution in your bucket? I change mine sometimes depending on the weather and the type of job etc.

The turn marks will be coming from the green rubber. It’s too hard imo. I tried it and hated it from the start.
You're right, definitely too hard. When mine was delivered it was boxed up flat which I found strange, although I soon found found out why. Took a strip out, cut what I needed and chucked the remainder of the strip in a bag with the rest of my rubbers. Went to cut another piece of it the next day and it was all wonky. Put it under a weighted bread board for two days but it still wouldn't straighten up. Far too much silicone in it imo.

I tried the new(ish) Moerman blue rubber today and don't like it at all. Apart from unger and ettore rubber I've never found any other rubber particularly good (although the razor red wasn't too bad). Hope you sorted it @DansClearView

I tried the new(ish) Moerman blue rubber today and don't like it at all. Apart from unger and ettore rubber I've never found any other rubber particularly good (although the razor red wasn't too bad). Hope you sorted it @DansClearView
Cheers. Still had a similar issue last time but I think have the trouble is the window always seems to steam up - could well be too much moisture as well.

Cheers. Still had a similar issue last time but I think have the trouble is the window always seems to steam up - could well be too much moisture

Cheers. Still had a similar issue last time but I think have the trouble is the window always seems to steam up - could well be too much moisture as well.
Steaming up is basically condensation and it's a nightmare tbh. Just leave it as it is after you've squeegeed (apart from normal detailing around the edges of the window). Trying to dry it with a cloth won't work, you'll just end up smearing it and making it worse. Try pressing harder with the squeegee when you go over the sticker to reduce the detailing around it and then don't touch it afterwards.

Hi All

Thank you
I picked up some "window microfiber cloths" that ive been very pleased with. They're stretchy, and feel similar to a thicker jersey material. Zero streaks or smudges. They dont absorb much water, so i find them best for detailing any remaining marks after water has somewhat dried.. big fan.

I picked up some "window microfiber cloths" that ive been very pleased with. They're stretchy, and feel similar to a thicker jersey material. Zero streaks or smudges. They dont absorb much water, so i find them best for detailing any remaining marks after water has somewhat dried.. big fan.
Something like this..

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest Posts

Back