Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Undercut

WCF

Help Support WCF:

as i posted , undercutters nearly always fail in under a year, its strange but true
theres a lad in my town just started up in October, he has got the website,got the Tshirts! etc . i notice on his website he has written -" i will better anyone elses price."

that tag line has signed the death warrant for his business!
I just cannot understand why the undercutters do not realise this.

I just don't get either why some still clamber over pitched roof tiles, do 3 storey work from ladders etc when they don't have to.
The mind boggles why customers allow this to happen as surely they are responsible if someone get hurt?:rolleyes:
This is so true smurf... the majority of Joe public do not realise that they are responsible for work carried out on their property... so if a serious or fatal accident was to occur on their property they are involved because they have allowed the work to be carried out and should have known how it was going to be carried out ie

Equipment used, safety procedures, trained staff... ect, ect, ect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate undercutters. Its so short sighted and desperate. Generally though, I think the vast majority of our customers wouldnt ditch us for an undercutter. I have total confidence in that. Apart from the undercutters, there are still loads of windies out there who charge way too little and that does the trade no good whatsoever. I have shocked a few people with my quotes, but I nearly always win them over. Never budge on your quote. The only situations I find difficult is when people you know ask you to quote for their windows. Just recently, one of my life long drinking buddies phoned me to say that his parents had sacked their window cleaner (for doing a **** job) and could I do their windows. I could have done without it as I have way too much work anyway.....but I have known them all my life and see them in the pub regularly. Anyway, I turn up and do their windows. I didnt quote....they just said get on with it. Job finished and I assessed it at £25.00. Like an idiot, I asked them how much the previous windy charged. I was shocked to hear it was £7.50. Unbelievable!. Ordinarily, I would have quoted before and stuck to the 25 quid.....but because I had known them all my life and because of the ridiculous price they had been paying, I asked for 20 quid instead.....their eyes still rolled and I felt like I had underquoted. Thats why I avoid, as best as possible, doing work for people I know.

Well at 7.50 I suppose he cut corners, where you would do a top notch job for £25, but they don't see that do they!
Its just so difficult when you know the customers well.

I have had a few of the same windies customers come my way......I have always doubled or trebled the previous price paid as they charge minimum wage style rates. In fact the very same windies do a very shoddy job on mrtaytays windows!

Its just so difficult when you know the customers well.
I have had a few of the same windies customers come my way......I have always doubled or trebled the previous price paid as they charge minimum wage style rates. In fact the very same windies do a very shoddy job on mrtaytays windows!
Sack em. Do a bus mans holiday like I do. Mine only get done every 3 months :laugh:

Sack em. Do a bus mans holiday like I do. Mine only get done every 3 months :laugh:
They have done my windows for 20 years....consistantly ****. I dont even know how much they charge as my mum pays......she lives further up the lane and they do hers. They just use two cloths....wet one, dry one.I asked them what kind of cloths they use, they looked confused and replied " just cloths...off market". They could have starred In the league of gentleman. In fact I am sure they were born In royston vasey.

nice lads though.....so i just let them keep coming

do they know you are a windy mrtaytay....?cant imagine cleaning another wanddys windows....:eek:
Yep.....they know I am a windy. We get on well, but they are proper old school.....just cloths and crappy ladders. Bird muck and cobwebs get left. As for wiping frames and sills, well they think thats positively ga.y!

yep certainly things are changing.....the trouble for me is keeping the concentration....i drift off and can never remember which windows i have cleaned....i swear i do most of em twice....still...its best to be sure.../emoticons/biggrin.png
cnc i reckon the clean ones will be the ones you have already done

you only turn up every few months I'm sure you can notice the difference. .lol

8 years ago I did a conservatory roof clean for a relation of one of my customers. She lives in a large bungalow in a good area. She is a widow but rather well off - she has just replaced her last 3 year old Audi with a brand new one. Her husband used to be a ships captain and she got to spend 3 weeks a year on board with him every year. (The 3 weeks was company policy - no longer.)

She asked me to quote for cleaning the conservatory and house windows. £12.00 was my reply. She was shocked as her current window cleaner had put the price up from £5 to £6 and he didn't do a good job. I suggested that she give him £8 to do the job provided he upped his standards. I thought she was going to faint at the suggestion.

I saw her about 6 months ago and asked her about her window cleaner - still charging her £6.

cnc i reckon the clean ones will be the ones you have already doneyou only turn up every few months I'm sure you can notice the difference. .lol
ahh but this is mainly talking wfp....its slightly different than trad ...for me anyway..cause...i do the top small windows first and then move onto the next and do the tops again to give the first one time to let the water drip down then i go back and do the keir flick....and do the bottom ones but...i get carried away so much with wfp that i often get lost....

a typical cnc moment today on a big un....i trad the first section the middle is always wfp and trad the last section all though i skipped the velux ...ahhhh ...last time , today i decided ...despite the wind.

..and we are talking....wfp ...from up the ladder...:eek: to do the velux ...but i couldnt help myself...i couldnt not do the tops which i normally trad as i had water left...the trouble is...i had already done the big windows down below with big norris my 18 incher and of course it dripped on them...

and so i had to do most of em again.....well pure water is only pure at the departure from the brush not after it has dripped down the brickwork above...oops...maybe i will get it right next time...:Dcnc strikes again you plonker rodney...

I can't see myself undercutting anyone with what I charge somehow:rolleyes:

If ppl want to go with someone cheaper then that's fine with me too.

I ask how much much previous cleaner charge and ask for at leat 2 pound more or I say that I cannot do it for that price

Back