Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New RO producing slowly

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Do you leave your booster pump running continuously for 30 hours that is if you're using a booster pump ?
That's an interesting question.

If you have a booster pump rated for continuous use then you can. A lot of cleaners use the Aquatec pump this way. I'm sure that a fellow window cleaner has been using this pump this way for a good few years now. However, Aquatec don't say on their fitting and user manual instructions if the pump is rated for continuous use or not. What they do say is that the outside motor casing shouldn't get hotter than 66 degrees C. As it doesn't have a thermal cutout switch they leave it to the user to decide it's rating. They note that ambient temperature will effect heat rise values.

http://www.aquatec.com/sg_userfiles/8800_RO_Booster_Pump_12Vdc.pdf

So I would imagine that using an Aquatec pump in a cool environment in the UK ie. in a garage, would provide adequate cooling - but its left to the owner to decide that. If a pump overheats and burns out due to cooling issues, then it won't be a warranty claim, even if its within the warranty period.

There is another supplier who sells 600GPD r/o's with 2 x 300GPD booster pumps as an option. They note that the pump they supply "is not designed for 24/7 continuous operation, meaning it should be rested for 10 to 15 minutes every 5 to 6 hours."

Generally, motors designed for continuous running have roller or needle bearings rather than bushes and use higher quality components (copper wire and insulating resin.) Manufacturers also need to take into account that their products are being sold all over the world. In a high altitude area air is less dense so its ability to cool is also reduced. Johannesburg at 6000' above sea level is an example. The air is 20% less dense so even forced cooling doesn't stop electrical and mechanical equipment overheating.

As an extreme example, ambient temperatures in the middle eastern countries in summer will definitely have an adverse effect on the ability for this pump to self cool if its not in an air-conditioned environment.

I doubt that most booster pump users will have their pumps running continuously to fill an empty IBC tank everytime. My mate now has his linked to a float switch and cutoff solenoid. When he fills his van's tank, the r/o will only be replenishing the water drawn by him that time which may could be anything from a few hundred liters to 600 liters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have a booster pump straight of the mains. Iv never checked my mains pressure as I'm happy with a 50/50 good to bad 004 tds and it makes enough water for myself.

Latest Posts

Back